Author Topic: Sudden Change at 18 Months  (Read 1543 times)

Offline fjm222

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 06, 2015, 17:38:26 pm »
Hi all, my little one has been a good sleeper. She goes to bed at 7am and used to consistently sleep through the night until 6 am. Recently she has begun to wake up around midnight and will not go back down until 4 or 5 am. She is getting 4 molars in and has been making big leaps in her vocabulary and reading comprehension recently.

I have tried walk in walk out for the last 5 nights, but her crying quickly shifts to an uncontrollable scream. When she stands in her crib she has started to jump and scream which leads me to console her by picking her up. I can generally get her to fall asleep on my chest but putting her back in her crib has become next to impossible without her waking and immediately standing.

The only thing that works in any way is sleeping on the floor next to her crib, but that is not a long term solutions. Any help is greatly appreciated. My wife is pregnant with our second and I am having trouble keeping the house reasonably quite at night so that she can get her rest. I am open to any suggestions.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Sudden Change at 18 Months
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 18:03:44 pm »
Hi there, welcome to BW :)

While teething can be a big factor in the nw's (is she getting meds for it?) I am also wondering what her nap(s) look like...would you be able to type out her day with timings?
Heidi

Offline fjm222

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 19:06:04 pm »
She generally sleep for 45 minutes - 1 hr during a morning walk at around 10 and she has a 1-1.5 hr nap after lunch around 1:00. Her napping schedule has remained consistent for months. I hope that  adds the color you were looking for.

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 20:08:05 pm »
Ah I wondered if she was on two naps a day...I think that a few things are probably at play here - teething, development leaps and needing to switch to one nap a day.  There are a few ways to go about doing that - choose to shorten one nap to a catnap while moving the other nap closer to the time the single nap would be or going cold turkey to one nap. I will admit I did cold turkey but my 3 did well with that method. When she wakes at night is she happy and playful or upset?
Heidi

Offline fjm222

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 20:11:36 pm »
She is mad when she wakes at night. If I hold her she is fine but if I do not pick she generally gets increasingly agitated. When she wakes in the morning she is very playful and happy. Do you still think it is a napping issue?

Offline fjm222

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 20:29:00 pm »
I just spoke to my wife and she corrected me. I didn't realize that during the week she is already down to 1 nap. She only sleeps just after lunch for about 1.5 hrs.

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 02:49:44 am »
How have the last few nights been? I am thinking if she is on one nap then the nw's are probably more to do with development and teeth than routine at this point. 18 months is a typical time for sleep regressions in toddlers too so it may be a case of riding it out. Do pain meds help at all? (To rule out teeth as the cause).
Heidi