Author Topic: Cant fix the routine  (Read 1858 times)

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 07, 2015, 13:33:41 pm »
I've been trying to fix my DS (27mo) routine after I messed it up completely this summer by having long AT, late naps and late BT.
At the beginning he was ok with late BT and just woke later in the day. But then started waking at 8am regardless of the BT.

Anyway now he has started nursery 9-1, so I was aiming for more or less (then hoping to make nap and BT a tad earlier)
WU 8
Nap 2:30-4
BT 9

Aaaanyway, the problem is, he is taking forever and ever to go to sleep both at nap and BT, so we are still napping at 3:30ish til 5ish then BT at about 10 :-X I honestly don't know where I am going wrong, is he ut?. OT? I am despairing cause I can see he is tired. :'( please help.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 14:22:50 pm by CattyPads »

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Cant fix the routine
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 19:20:15 pm »
Sounds like he's in the process of dropping his nap.

How long do you let him nap for when he does nod off? I'd prob start by capping it to get a decent BT.

Have you seen this?
The 1-0 transition...Advice and Tips to help you through.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 19:41:41 pm »
Already???  :o  :(
He usually naps 1:30/2hours. He always naps, but for example today he didn't and he was absolutely exhausted in the evening and really misbehaving, so it really worries me if he was to drop his nap?

I am happy to cap it (even though he gets very grumpy if you wake him  ;)

But what do I do about him falling asleep, I just feel I can't fix his routine, I am so stressed out  :'( and I have a 4mo baby too so I am so busy as it is. Thanks.

Offline cath~

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 19:49:16 pm »
He's prob not ready to drop it completely just yet but it does sound like he could do with it being capped (ESP if you can't get him to nap any earlier).

Maybe try a 45 min nap and see how that affects BT? Hopefully it should bring it fwd by a reasonable Amount for you and it won't take him so long to nod off. Also, it can be easier to wake LOs at the end of a sleep cycle.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 19:52:51 pm »
Thanks cath.

So the problem i am having, could it be ut or OT or that's irrelevant?

And should I be persistent with the nap time even if he struggles to go to sleep? Or make it later? Thanks.

Offline cath~

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 20:00:54 pm »
I think he's prob UT, esp at BT after a late long nap.

How long have you been having trouble at that nap time? If it's really not working any more then I'd go for a later (capped) nap.  You might have to experiment to find the best time, when he'll still nod off.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 20:38:09 pm »
Not long really (days) but BT trouble for about 3ish months now (my fault for messing up his routine  :'( ).

In case this helps  when he gets back from nursery he seems quite tired and subdued, then after lunch he starts perking up and it all goes wrong!

Offline cath~

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 08:06:14 am »
Hi

Sorry for the late reply.  How have things been the last few days?

If the nap trouble had only been a matter of days then maybe try for a nap a bit later but not so late as 3.30 and see if that helps, eg maybe 2.45/3ish?

The BT trouble for 3 months though does suggest that he's ready for less daytime sleep.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 14:17:16 pm »
Hi :)

The nap seems to get getting better now. He goes down at 2:45 no problem, so I am gonna aim for 2:30 within the next couple of days.
Would 2:30-4 OK or too long?
Thanks.

Offline cath~

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 14:21:47 pm »
I'd expect that would be a bit long as he'd probably need at least 5 hrs if not more like 6hrs A time after a long nap like that.
I'd try a 1hr nap and see what kind of BT you can get from that, then go from there. 
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 14:41:43 pm »
If I let him, he sleeps 2.5 hours or even more! Does that mean he isn't getting enough nighttime sleep at the mo? How many hours should he be getting at night? A 1 hr nap is enough for his age?
Thnsks.

Offline cath~

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 14:55:02 pm »
Does that mean he isn't getting enough nighttime sleep at the mo?
not necessarily - some LOs do shorter nights and keep a long nap as they get older.  For some they do shorter nap and keep night longer.  It all depends what works best for you and them.

How many hours should he be getting at night?
that will depend on how long he naps for, and his sleep needs.  If he seems generally happy and well-rested overall, then he's probably getting enough sleep.  An issue with a long nap is that it can mean a late BT which isn't always so good for the parents!  If you don't want BT to be too late, then you'll prob have to shorten his nap.

A 1 hr nap is enough for his age?
It depends on the LO but for lots of LOs it's fine.  Esp if it means he can get more night sleep.

It's a balancing act really between naps and night sleep and you have to find the balance that suits your LO and you best.

Sorry that's not too specific but there are lots of different ways in which LOs move from 1-0 naps.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 17:36:18 pm »
Just wanted to pop in and say I had to cap DD's nap a while ago as we were having the same issues you are having now. Lots of messing around at BT! Mine too would sleep forever for her nap if I let her (complete opposite from what she was when she was younger  ::)). I had to cap it or else she wasn't falling  asleep until way after 9pm and that was far too late for me.

We went down to an hour nap and 10.5hrs ONS when she was 22mo I think (fom trying to remember the title of my thread on here  ;)). I do let her self regulate a bit more than I used to by offering the opportunity to sleep in on some mornings if we are able, but that doesn't happen much! hth xx

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 08:26:52 am »
Thanks, just wanted to update you and tell you I brought the nap forward and now he wakes up on his own everyday at 4:30pm so there's an improvement, the nap is still too long (1.5hrs) but I am slowly getting there. He is also going down easier at night. So I think things could eventually work out! Thanks :)

Offline cath~

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 08:26:27 am »
pleased things are improving with the nap :)
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old