Author Topic: How to transition from puréed to BLW at 6 months  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Mikubaby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to transition from puréed to BLW at 6 months
« on: January 12, 2016, 19:35:59 pm »
Hi all!

I really wanted to try BLW but my DS was born little and has had slow weight gain. At his 4 month check up he weighed 10 lb 6 oz. my doc recommended we start him on a little puréed food to increase weight gain (1-2 tsp, 1-2x daily). He's taken very well to eating and I'd still like to try BLW at 6 months. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to transition?

Cheers

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: How to transition from puréed to BLW at 6 months
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 20:20:57 pm »
Just start offering :). Instead of doing pure BLW as I imagine he won't take much that way to begin with (and given he's been recommended to be on solids for medical reasons) I would offer finger foods alongside your purées.  So maybe roast carrot sticks alongside carrot purée to give same taste but in different format, or load spoons with purée and start encouraging LO to hold the spoon himself.  Once he gets the hang of the finger foods you can probably switch to more of that and less of the purée :) but it doesn't have to be all or nothing.  The two in parallel will probably work nicely until such time as LO is able to get the calories he needs from the food he can manage himself.  Good luck!

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 21:41:24 pm »
I did exactly this with the twins - early weaning due to health issues but always gave finger food too and once they got the hang of it just phased out the purees. It's definitely worth it! Loaded spoons were great too - yoghurt, sticky porridge, rice pudding.

Weaning is awesome, it's good to enjoy it!

Offline Mikubaby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 23:08:15 pm »
That's perfect! Especially since he's starting to get the hang of reaching and bringing things to his mouth. Thank you!