Author Topic: Staying awake for 45 mins + at bedtime  (Read 3108 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: October 09, 2015, 11:17:16 am »
So a few weeks ago my 27 mo lo was having trouble with naps we tried moving nap capping nap skipping naps and what ended up working was a 1 hour nap at 1 pm after a 730 wake time and Bedtime at 830 a 13 hour day. That worked for a few weeks and now we are starting to get bedtime struggles. There has been s few times where nap was later 130/2 ish and that's what started the bedtime struggles just not enough A time I suppose before bed. He would be up in bed until 10 pm reading! Even on a nnd he would still lie awake for 30 mins with his books. So I'm not sure if it's just ut or that right now developmentally he just needs a longer windown or time to settle before bed. He doesn't cry or call us he's just busy. But it makes for a late night and only 10 hours sleep as I always wake him by 730 am. It seems that he will go down for nap after 5.5 hrs A time but needs 7 hours before bed!! Is there anything else I can do besides dropping nap as much he sleeps well through night no ews and he just has a better afternoon with a nap. Without one he just walks around "drunk" all afternoon he doesn't play with his puzzles or read he's just delirious which is why I keep the nap. It seems like after waking him from his nap it takes him a while to get up and go getting his second wind too late if that makes sense

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: Staying awake for 45 mins + at bedtime
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 13:43:19 pm »
You know what I'll say:

1 accept the A time he needs and bed later/shorter night
2 drop the nap
3 cut the nap. Do a half hour and see does that help him need less A time to bed

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 13:47:04 pm »
What Shiv said!

My DD dropped her nap at that age. She would happily still nap but was then going to sleep ridiculously late. Her total sleep was the same with a nap and shorter night or no nap and a decent length night but her overall temperament was way better for the full night after she adjusted.

Laura

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 13:52:07 pm »
Looks like Shiv has all the options covered :)

With mine I accepted a very short night for a while because it was ridiculous how unsafe he was without a nap.  So it was quite unusual but we continued a 2hr nap (tried to cap at 1.5 which was not successful for us really) and accepted nights were down to about 9hr per night.  Your description of your LO being drunk without a nap, yep, mine would keel over at 4.30pm, couldn't cope.  We muddled along for several months then he dropped the 2hr nap cold turkey over night.
Don't know if that's any help, but if you really cannot lose that nap right now I would just accept the short night.
The good news is after nap drop you might get a lovely long night!  Mine did 12hrs from 2.5 to 4.5yo (has just gone down to about 11hr 30) :)  Y time aplenty ;)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 14:27:51 pm »
Thanks everyone! I never noticed his behavior after a full nights sleep 12 hours opposed to 10-10.5 but I do know a day with no nap is bad! Being that I only let him take a 1 hour nap he still will do a decent night and would probably do longer but I wake him by 730 so that I can get him down for nap by 1! Ugh sometimes I feel like I should just let him lead me more like not waking him in morning not waking him from nap etc but I'm worried it will get messy. Think I'll stick with the nap and later shorter night for a bit I always just feel bad when he's awake in his room for an hour but I've tried putting him to bed later and it always backfires and he's still up just as long but now it's later. I try to stick with set times like waking by 730 am nap by 1 for 1 hour and bedtime around 815.

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 01:51:13 am »
At that age, I opted to keep the nap and go for the shorter night. No nap days were just monstrous. DD would nap around 1h20/1h30 (uncapped). She usually played on her own in bed for about an hour at BT and then do a 10/10.5 hour night. I've found that it doesn't really matter what happens with the nap, she takes a long time to settle to sleep. She started resisting naps and skipping the odd nap at 27/28 months and I thought our naps days were numbered, but then as she got closer to 3 her naps got longer and her nights stayed the same so she was getting more sleep overall. I know it's not the same for everyone, but just thought I'd share what worked for us.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 02:52:12 am »
Thanks for sharing that's very similar to our day! This morning I woke him at 730 put him in for nap at 1 let him sleep without waking woke at 215 and into bed by 825 he was asleep by 910. I also feel like he just needs his time to settle too no matter if he's napped or not. :)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 18:35:03 pm »
On nnds is a 12 hour day good?

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 19:38:12 pm »
I also feel like he just needs his time to settle too no matter if he's napped or not.
That's how my DD is. Even on nights when she's late to bed she takes 45m-1h to settle.

I aim for in bed at 11/11.5 hrs on a NND knowing how long DD takes to settle.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 02:26:51 am »
Today we had a nap refusal day first time in over a month he refused :( he ended up with a 12 hr day and passed out within minutes at 730! When you say you had some nap refusals and than the naps got longer does that mean that you continued to put your lo down for s nap everyday?

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 16:51:13 pm »
I did keep putting her down for naps. She was at daycare during the week too so they also put her for naps.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 10:55:59 am »
Yesterday I couldn't put him down for nap because we were setting up his twin size bed! Around 2pm he actually asked for a nap! Which is when he seems to get tired for one but at that point it's too late in the day. After 2 nnds in a row I'm hopeful for one today :) moving forward im thinking of waking him by 7 instead of 730 trying a nap around 1230/1 for an 1-1.5 hrs and bed at 830 since he seems to need about a 13.5 hr day and that will keep bedtime from not getting too late. I'm hoping that might do the trick. Although I don't think I'll wake today after 2 days without nap.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 13:23:25 pm »
Around 2pm he actually asked for a nap! Which is when he seems to get tired for one but at that point it's too late in the day
have you tried a short nap at that time?  what about just 20 mins, say?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 15:00:48 pm by cath~ »
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 21:47:08 pm »
Yes I've tried but short naps just don't work for us. We usually keep them to about 1 hour and that seems to be fine. But with any length nap he still seems to need a 13.5 hour day even with a quick 15 mins in the car! Tomorrow I'm going to try to wake him by 7 am.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 12:02:17 pm »
The only thing with a nnd is that he's sleeping a good 12 hours at night which brings us to an 8 am wake which then makes it hard for a nap day. Should I wake him in morning if I'm trying for a nap day? Today I'm letting him sleep in because it will be a nnd and we will just do a 12 hr day bed at 8.

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 16:15:29 pm »
I honestly found that the less I woke DD, the better things got. She often surprised me by taking a good nap after a really good night. If you stop waking him and he does stop napping and keep on with 12hr nights then you know he's really ready to drop the nap.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 11:04:45 am »
Well I didn't have to wake him. He's been going to bed 7/730 and waking 12 hours later at 7!  He also has refused the nap the past 3 days ugh! But he gets wired and delirious and into a lot of trouble ;). Not only is the no nap hard his behavior is too. He's not his normal self the rest of the afternoon we are off routine because he gets tired and just wants to lay around watching tv. He doesn't want to play or color etc he just gets into trouble throwing toys not listening etc. will this end when he gets used to the 12 hour day without a nap?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 12:01:47 pm »
Last night be went to bed at 7 a 12 hour day no nap passed out in a minute and he's still asleep at 8 am! 13 hours night sleep! I wish he would take a 1 hour nap to get him through the day better instead of 13 at night !

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2015, 10:55:34 am »
What if I tried a later nap like 2pm for an hour? Or will that bring bedtime to late. I was always afraid that a late nap would do that? But that seems to be around when he gets tired and asks for a nap. I've always assumed bedtime struggles were because there wasn't enough A time before bed but could I be wrong? He's doing about 11.5-12 hour day and sleeping 12-13 hours at night. Just s thought. He hasn't napped in 5 days now!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2015, 13:22:00 pm »
I think Hun he's transitioning to no nap.  He's consistently adding to his night. TBH I would go with it.

I think the nap at two would need to be capped to a half hour/45 mins and I still think bedtime would need to be 8.30. And I know he's hard to wake and form can be rough if he's wakened.

I'd let him do what he is doing. He may need a catch up nap day every 5/6 days otherwise I'd just go with allowing him to have his longer night.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2015, 22:49:33 pm »
Yeah I'm trying to just go with the flow and u stud offer the nap everyday around 1. Just hope his behavior gets better as he adjusts. :) thanks

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2015, 11:51:22 am »
Starting to get ew's...any suggestions?