Author Topic: 5m old waking every 2-3hrs  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: October 09, 2015, 16:25:53 pm »
I'm not sure the reason why or how to tackle my little one's night wakings.  He is almost 5 months old. Our routine is:

6:30am - Awake
8:30am - Nap (usually 1.5-2hrs)
10:15am - Awake
12:15 - Nap (usually 1.5-2hrs; I don't let him sleep much past 2pm or it screws up our last night/bedtime)
2pm - Awake
4pm - Nap (usually 45min; 5:15pm is my maximum sleep-in time for this nap or it screws with bedtime)
5pm - Awake
6:15pm - start bedtime routine (bath, diaper, pajamas, nurse, singing, bed)
6:40pm - in bed
Asleep between 6:40 and 7pm depending on self settling time.

Our feeding is a bit all over the place, I'm trying to fill him up lots during the day to reduce the night wakings but it's not working. We do not feed to sleep (maybe 5% of the time he'll fall asleep nursing for a nap, but mostly an independent sleeper). He falls asleep on his own quite well.  When he wakes at night, he feeds for about 10min and then goes back to his crib. He usually is in bed at 6:45ish, awake again at 10pm, 12am, 2am, 4am, and then for the day at around 6:30am. We had a couple days where he only woke at 10:30pm and 3am, I thought we were onto something but now we're back to the every two hours. 

I'm wondering a) what could be the reasons for all this waking, b) how to I eliminate it or atleast reduce it to only a couple.  I feel like a total zombie and have a toddler that I'm just barely holding it together for.  There are no signs of teeth yet as I constantly check for that.  I would like to wean him off night feeding all together but realize that he may be slightly young for this (his sister did it at 5.5 months on her own, but I don't think we'll be as lucky with him). If I can't fully night wean him, I do at least need my sanity back and to get it down to 2 feeds max a night.  Any help or suggestions would be so appreciated.  I really feel like my lack of sleep is impacting my relationship with my toddler and it breaks my heart that I'm always on a short fuse and barely keeping it together.

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: 5m old waking every 2-3hrs
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 04:17:38 am »
Hugs hon!  It is rough when you have a baby and a toddler, I know!  Something that might work for you is a dream feed.  It's a little late to introduce it but since your LO since to be naturally waking around this time anyway, why not it a consistent thing?  That might help minimize the night wakings.  I know you said you can't feel any teeth but with my DS1, he started teething MONTHS before any teeth actually showed up.  His first red cheeks were at 4 months but he didn't get his first tooth until 7 months, so that bears considering.  Your day looks good so I'm thinking this is developmental which isn't really comforting to you but between the DF and the passing of time, hopefully you'll find some more rest somewhere. 
Could your DH take one feed in the middle of the night?  That way you might get a longer stretch at some point.  Even if were just a couple of nights a week, it would probably help your sanity. 

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 16:24:55 pm »
Thanks for your reply.  We had some success stretching out the feeds and now he's waking at 12 and 4 for the last 3 nights in a row.  He doesn't seem overly famished at the 4am feed, so I'm thinking in a week or so (once our house guests leave), I will try to start reducing the time on the breast at that feed and see if he'll cut it out all together.  I feel so amazing with just the 2 wakings now.  Although, now that he's only waking twice, his naps have regressed. He is doing a lot of 45 minute naps now, I'm lucky if I only get one long nap in the day now (over an hour), and I KNOW that he knows how to get through his cycle changes.  I'm not sure what is going on with him.  Babies need a manual!!  He just woke after 45 min and I'm trying to not get him to see if he'll go back to sleep, but I can hear him on the monitor just screeching and playing with his toes!  He's so happy to be awake.  At least he's happy, I should count my blessings. 

Sorry for this reply, I just more wanted to vent/shake my head at the little guy. 

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: 5m old waking every 2-3hrs
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 22:17:28 pm »
Ah the 45 minute nap phase.  It's brutal, but don't forget it passes pretty quickly!