Author Topic: Sleep Training of 8m Baby - too many NW  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Annerinya

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 18, 2015, 21:25:44 pm »
Hello,

Very long post and maybe not very clear as a lot is to be said.

My little one is 8 months at the moment and has never been a  good sleeper. I am willing to try a pu/pd or shush-pat or something else as it is becoming more and more difficult. Wakings every two hours or more often therefore a lot of accidental parenting from my side. (have woken up four times between 7:30pm and 10:30pm today already... :( ) We share the room as not ready to move him out into nursery with two older brothers and no spare room. Need advise and reassurance.
Our routine is
5:30-7:15 Day starts  and I offer breast around then. He may have some milk, may not.
8am Breakfast
9:30 nap usually till 11am. In the pram in the garden,
11:30 - I am trying to give bottle around 11:30 and he may have 30-50ml. If I really insist he may take 90ml.
12pm - lunch
1:30-2pm nap and depending on a first nap can go till 4pm but usually the second nap is 1h15mins. Also in a pram outside.
Another attempted bottle 15 minutes after waking,
3:30-4pm Some fruits with brothers,
Dinner 5:30
BT starting with bath at 6:30-7pm. Breastfed for sleep at 7-7:30.

He rarely falls asleep actually at the breast. What he does is rolling away from me and settling just next to me and then I pick him up and put to the crib. He may just stay there, or fall asleep with some gentle stroking on his back. Sometimes I need to pick him up, hold for couple of minutes and then can put down.
NW are more difficult as he fusses if I pick up and really requires rocking to go back  to sleep. After 2am waking we normally co-sleep which does not prevent him from wakings.

My boy is very attached to me - not sure about the type of the baby as he will play on his own for a while after his food but with a slightest discomfort would whinge and starts crying unless picked up after short while. He ends up being carried a lot during the day.

I am probably ready to sleep train though  big question is how do I explain to two two-year olds why I make their brother cry so much at night. I had to use some pu/pd with my twins around 7 months and it worked well though one is an angel baby and another is a full speed spirited. Third is such a different baby!

Thanks

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Re: Sleep Training of 8m Baby - too many NW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 02:03:43 am »
Do you mean your day starts anywhere between 5:30 and 7:15?

Your day looks pretty good, so I don't think it's an issue of changing any of your timings for nap. Have you ever tried an earlier BT? Yours looks reasonable but I had trouble with DS until I realized he did best when he was asleep by 630/7 rather than starting to get him ready for bed then.

I do think he may have trouble settling back to sleep when he wakes at night because he's not in his bed during the day. Does he ever nap in his bed? Do you move/jiggle the pram while he naps?

It may also help to try to gently stretch how long he plays on his own during the day. Maybe play with him or lay beside him when he fusses and then a few minutes later, get up and go do something for a bit, making sure you tell him, "Mommy will be right back. You keep playing."
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Annerinya

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 18:46:43 pm »
lily_layne,

Thank you for your response.
* When I say "the day starts" I mean he wakes up for the day, I have to get up with him and there is no way he would fall back to sleep.
* Both of my twins were napping in the pram in the same manner - I may move it for little while so that he becomes drowsy but then I normally do not touch it until he is fully awake, unless the nap was too short. His brothers have been sleeping in the same manner till 11 months.
I put him for a nap into the cot if I want to nap too but it is rearly more than 45 min nap than. I am considering switching napping into the cot if this  helps. Can go back to pram if needed - transition back is always easier.

Last night was difficult - no sleep between 2 and 4, then asleep till 6 in the cot, then another hour next to me.Today the routine was all over the place but his eating was better. We'll see if eating better has any effect.

I will start putting him for naps into the cot after we install blackout blinds in our bedroom and see if there be any difference.

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 01:45:08 am »
I will start putting him for naps into the cot after we install blackout blinds in our bedroom and see if there be any difference.
I think this is a good start. You could try adjusting BT a bit earlier or later also to see if that helps.

I forgot to ask, how often are you feeding at night?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014