Author Topic: Coming off formula- do we go 'cold turkey?'  (Read 1450 times)

Offline josie30

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Coming off formula- do we go 'cold turkey?'
« on: October 10, 2015, 19:30:20 pm »
Hi, DD has only 1 bottle now at bedtime (she's 14 months) but we are having some issues with how much cows milk she drinks during the day. She doesn't seem to really like it much! She drinks water fine from cups .
The problem is as she only has formula at night the box is going off before we can use all the powder and I'd really like to just move onto cows milk.
So should I try cows milk in her bedtime bottle and see if she takes it or wait until she takes more during the day?
She eats brilliantly so I know she gets plenty of calcium from yogurt, cheese etc, I'm just always worried about milk intake!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Coming off formula- do we go 'cold turkey?'
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 18:38:39 pm »
If she is getting plenty of calcium from other sources you don't need to worry about liquid milk.

You could either just swap all milk cold turkey to cow's milk and she will more than likely drink more as she gets used to it. You could try warming it slightly if you normally give it cold to see if she likes that better.

The other thing to do is to wean the formula to cow's milk by gradually reducing the formula and adding cow's milk. For example, if there is 6oz in a bottle you make up 5oz of formula then top it up with 1oz of cow's milk. Leave it at that for 3 nights and then drop to 4oz of formal and 2oz of cow's milk, after 3 nights swap another oz and keep going until it's all cow's milk.

HTH and sorry for the late respose, I'm not sure how I missed this.

Laura

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Coming off formula- do we go 'cold turkey?'
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 21:27:49 pm »
She might take the BT bottle of cows milk just fine even though she doesn't much like cows milk in a cup during the day, LOs do odd things sometimes and just surprise us.  If it was me I'd probably prepare a cows milk bottle to the same temperature you usually serve the formula, and also prepare a formula bottle as back up. If she then surprised you and just took the cows milk bottle you are in the clear and could continue with cows milk from there on. If she refused it and started to fuss at needing her regular formula you'd have it ready for a quick switch and very little disruption to BT.

And then I'd do what laura suggested.