Author Topic: Breastfeeding and passing wind  (Read 6025 times)

Offline Mum2lucy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Breastfeeding and passing wind
« on: October 10, 2015, 22:04:46 pm »
I'm looking for some help....

My 16week lo is ebf. However she is a nightmare to feed just now. I put her on the boob and then she pops on and off constantly, crying when she unlatched. It is totally linked to her passing wind. She cries, strains and then passes wind. She can't focus on feeding for doing this. However the second I sit her up to forget about feeding (when I give up!) she stops passing wind/being upset. If I give her a bottle of expressed milk she doesn't do it either.
This has been going on for weeks and it is getting increasingly harder and feeding in public is getting impossible.
I give her colic tummy massages and colosynth for her wind: it's like she associates my boob with releasing wind.
The breastfeeding support group had no ideas. Can anyone suggest anything to help?
Thanks xx

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Breastfeeding and passing wind
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 05:55:03 am »
it's like she associates my boob with releasing wind.
Its a normal reflex. Feeding makes the gut 'move along' so to speak.

Could you try doing a tummy massage and pushing her legs up into her tummy before a feed to get some of the gas out before the feed?

How often is she feeding? Just wondering if she's feeding frequently and creating a vicious cycle like my DS did.
What's your letdown like?

How are her poos?

Offline Mum2lucy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 16:55:06 pm »
Hiya,

I do the tummy massage just before a feed as she has reflux and it's the only time I can put that pressure on her tummy (as it is at her emptiest). She is sick otherwise. I have a strong let down but I either express it off or let her start it and take her off and catch it.

She only poos every 5-6 days and when she does, they are massive but the correct consistency for a bf baby and are mustard, not green. I wish she pooed more so that the wind might ease!

I am following a 3 - 3.5hr easy and try as much as possible to stick to that for her eating.

Bf is really hard as I feel like she is never emptying my boobs as she pops on and off constantly and doesn't want to eat due to the wind! really hoping it passes and is just a phase?!?!?!
X

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 18:44:12 pm »
she has reflux
This is probably the answer to any discomfort she is experiencing, rather than a 'separate' issue of wind.  Refluxy babies will sometimes want to suck more because it eases the pain, but that can lead to more discomfort, so it's a bit of a viscious circle.  Reflux + a strong let-down is going to be tricky alright, anything you can do to make it more manageable for her is going to help with the refluxy-ness.  Have you seen this?
Oversupply and Overactive (Forceful) Let-Down

We have a dedicated reflux board if you'd like to have a look there for some more tips. :) 

If she's being medicated, it is worth considering whether you need to speak to her doctor about the dosage. 

Here's the link for the reflux board.
Colic, Reflux, & Crying
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 18:45:45 pm by weaver »
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Mum2lucy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 16:35:42 pm »
Hi again,

I went to the doctors and previously been at the hospital and they don't feel her behaviour is reflux related as when she is sick, she doesn't cry (therefore indicating that it doesn't burn). I think it is more related to wind also which may well be related to her refluxyness. The doctor suggested I use a laxative to see if she can poo more frequently to ease the wind.

Situation is still the same though with her refusal to feed :-( I want to continue to ebf but it is so hard to feed her when she is like this! X

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 16:47:47 pm »
Did you get to read the material on over active letdown?
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 21:17:07 pm »
Did they have any ideas what is causing the excessive wind? Could it be an intolerance? Or it could be OAL as PPs say.

Would she latch on sitting up facing you?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Jbroomer

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 00:25:35 am »
I know this is super old, but I have a 3 month old with this exact behavior!!!  It's hard to nurse in public and very hard to know when she is done eating.  Can you tell me how things ended up working out for you???

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 11:14:12 am »
Have you tried laid back / biological nurturing Jbroomer?

Offline Jbroomer

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 14:13:42 pm »
Not sure what that is!  Please explain!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 10:51:29 am »
Scroll down to the  paragraph entitled biological nurturing and it it explains it here https://www.laleche.org.uk/positioning-attachment/

Offline Mum2lucy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 07:32:10 am »
Funny this post has started again.... I currently have a 3 week old LG who is a nightmare to feed with wind and reflux -,just like my first!

All I can say this that with my first I just persevered and I fed her until 6 months

It def gets easier when you hit weaning