Author Topic: Fighting sleep by standing up  (Read 2872 times)

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Fighting sleep by standing up
« on: October 11, 2015, 10:13:22 am »
Hi there,
My DS is 8,5 months. He is on EASY from the start.
Drinks about 30oz of formula a day, has 3 solid meals. I have been watering down his formula at night to cut his last night waking. We are now on 5oz (3 dozes instead of 5, cut it overall also from 7oz). He had 1 night when he slept through the night 2 days ago. I think he is getting use to not eating at night.
Last 2 weeks 2 of his teeth erupted, and he learned how to sit on his own and stand up in the crib. Since then we have been living a nightmare!
He still has pacifier just for sleep. I take it out or he spits it out. He was always a good sleeper. 2 naps 3h overall. I held him in my arms, gave him paci, sang, put in the crib, and he fell asleep holding a tail of his stuffed donkey:) Now, it all changed.
He started refusing his naps, both of them and BT. The same routine, but when I put him down, he is able to stand up 20+ times and I lay him back down. I know he is tired, hiding his head in hands, mantra-cries.
He can wake 4-5 times at night and stand up. After I hold him for a while he falls back to sleep alone in his crib.
EASY:
6:30-7:00 WU
7:15- 7oz of formula
8:30-9:00 solids
10:00 S (today it was 11:00, I had to leave the house, so my mother in law rocked him to sleep)
11:30-12:00 WU and 7oz of formula
1:30 solids
3:00-4:00 S
5:30 WU and 9oz of formula
6:30-7:00 solids and formula top up
7:45 BT
8:30 Asleep

What the heck is going on?
Is he ready to 2:1?
Is he UT/OT? I really think I start putting him down in a good moment.
Is he processing all the milestones and it's the same as when he learned how to roll over?
Do I stay with him when he giggles and smiles or leave the room? Sometimes he throws stuff out of the crib and cries, sometimes bumps his head:/ Then I come in and comfort him.
And finally, what do I do? Do I lay him back down or let him stand, get bored and lay back on his own (I saw him doing that, but it takes longer)

Thank you, I would really appreciate your help :/

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
Re: Fighting sleep by standing up
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 18:29:55 pm »
We had a really rubbish time at this age wrt sleep too hun. It's like their little brains can't switch off!!

Yes, I do think an element of this is developmental but looking at your routine you could well be heading into 2-1 territory. Not saying he's ready for one nap just yet, for some the transition can take several months. It just means the. A times lengthen too much in order to fit in two decent naps in a day.

Unfortunately if it is developmental there's not much we can do. Saying that, the playing around at nap time could signal a little bit of UT. No, I'd leave him to play around if he's happy. Hopefully extending the A time should help with that. Also as long as he can get back down ans isn't crying I'd leave him to that too. Again, this should get better soon once we work on the routine.

Average A times vary a lot at this age, but I do think you've got room to push that first A a little. Perhaps just by 15mins? Had he always had such a long A to BT? And it is quite a long day overall, how does he do on 10hrs ONS? If this the norm or just recently? Xx
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 18:32:29 pm by Kellyjs »

Offline Bella89

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 20:35:33 pm »
Today, after lying him down from standing position almost 20 times I just left him be and left the room. He did not cry. I entered after 10 min and he was sitting with his head on the mattress like it just dropped on the bed. So I lied him down on his back and he still sleeps:)
No, the optimum he needs is 11 ONS and 13 h day, but because it takes so long to put him down it gets pushed later and later each day. Maybe I should start bed time eroutine earlier because of that?
Yes, his last A time was alwys the longest, but never that long. Again it's standing up messing his routine.
Today was:
7:15WU
10:30 put him to bed but fell aasleep 11:15
12:40 WU
3:30 started but 4:15 fell asleep
5:30 WU
7 started but 7:45 fell asleep
Thank you

Offline Bella89

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 10:27:48 am »
Another update:)
So I pushed his first A time to 4h and he did that without a problem. Putting him to nap was so much easier.
I seriously think leaving him, even standing up, alone in the room brings better results than putting him down every time he is standing up.

Last 2 nights he is waking 4-5 times at night and falls asleep after I lift him up in cradle position for a while. Except 5am. He wakes up, and just doesn't want to close his eyes :( Today I knew he was tired, ended up holding him in my bed for 1h and 15min. He would just stand up again.

What do you think I should do at night?
Pick him up/ not pick him up?
He stands there and screams for me, because he can see me sleeping.
Did I just bring AP to the table by holding him at night :(
I am so confused.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 18:53:36 pm »
To I don't think you've caused an issue hun. This is all developmental. If you don't want to continue bringing him into your bed though I wouldn't carry on doing it. As Tracy said, don't start something unless you want to carry on  ;)

4-5 times at night could well be discomfort hun. Any teething going on or new foods you've introduced him too lately? Again, this could also be part of the developmental thing as well. My DD went through a terrible time at the age yours is now, in the end pushing the A time and riding it out really helped us.

I would use your words more that this age. In hushed tones as it is night time, lay him back down and say your sleepy phrase like 'it's night time darling, go to sleep'.

The 5am wu could well be indicative of teething or a need to push that first A. As you've only had the one 4hr A first thing, I'd hold that for a couple more days.

I think the routine you posted yesterday looks good. I'm wondering if we should look at capping that last nap a little though? Wdyt? Maybe asleep at 4.15pm for 45mins so awake at 5 so BT can be around 7.30/45, asleep by 8 xx

Offline Bella89

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 19:50:44 pm »
No new food, but teething for sure.
I think it's a good idea. And also, if I let him sleep, just like I said on the other post with breakfast/supper question, it is very difficult to fit all the meals into a day.
It all changes so fast I don't keep up with fixing it:]

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 11:38:12 am »
It's crazy how much it changes doesn't it? Fwiw it really does get better once they are one nap. We had a good year of it being constant (ish). Aside from teething and the developmental stuff of course! Xx

Offline Bella89

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 08:34:41 am »
It is very hard. Issues are only getting worse with us.

Now he can wake up 10 times during the night. Stands up, cries, I pick him up cradle position, put his paci in and he falls asleep. Sometimes he can go 15 min without closing his eyes, sometimes he will shut them instantly.

With his naps, he is now fighting both of them. He seems tired after 3h A time (yawns, rub his eyes) so I put him down. We work on falling asleep for 1h-1,5h. He stands up, I pick him up, paci in, lay him down. He cries and tries to put both his hands in his mouth even if the paci is in. I pick him up, shh/pat and lay him down, leave the room. He cries and the paci and his toy is on the floor. And again and again.

I wish you could tell me if it's teething or paci issues. Do you have any advice?
I seriously doubt it's developmental, because he is standing for 2 full weeks now and I think he gt used to it now. Wdyt?

When he was little we had such good nights. Now, he is 9 months and I am sleepless. I feel like he made that on purpose ;] He is plain mean;)

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 10:36:12 am »
There is a regression around this age which coincides with a wonder week. Do you follow those at all?

I do think he's ready for quite a push in A time, although waking that number of times during the night would signal discomfort to me. I think you have a bit of both hun.

I would jump the A times straight to 3.5hrs as he's messing around so much. I know he'll show sleepy cues, but tbh I think it's time to push through as it's just causing you both issues isn't it? Xx

Offline Bella89

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 15:35:32 pm »
At this point I am willing to try everything. Two days in a row I was not able to put him down for his second nap. Tried Pu/pd for 1.5 with a short break when I took him outside his room (low key time) then fed and bath. Last night he went to bed at 7, it's 5.30 now and he seems liter. I think I will put him down 6.30. I think he is maybe going into 2-1 as well as teething?!
What do you think could be discomfort? Things like cold, wet diaper ?

Hmm, no actually. Do you know when I can read about sleep regressions and wonder week ? I will look for it on the forum but any link would be appreciated :) Is it in the book?

You are right. I will extend his A time tomorrow to 3.5h minimum.I will let you know how it goes.

Thank you so very much !

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 17:38:51 pm »
I've only seen the SR from posts on here, you'll see loads have posts about sleep issues with this age range. Personally I think it's a need to increase the A time as they seem to need a bigger jump around now. I'll find the link for the wonder weeks for you now. It is an external website but saved my sanity on more than one occasion. Just remember it is from due date and not from birth date to calculate it. http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/baby/baby-stages-of-development/the-wonder-weeks-20120426-1xni4.html

Yes, if you're hitting around 3.5hrs A more likely 4hrs A then 2-1 is definitely on the cards. It doesn't mean he's ready for one nap just yet, just that the A times stretch so much you can fit in two decent naps in one day anymore.

I would try medicating with ibuprofen before his first nap and BT if you can. Some find doing a dream med around 1am helps too, but I could never get that right. Even as a little baby DD always woke for her dreamfeed. In either case the meds at that time used to see her through to wu. You could always do it during a NW 6hrs after the last dose?

Let me know how the increase goes tomorrow xx

Eta and please se don't exhaust yourself with pu/pd for 1.5hrs. If it's not working after say 30mins, just give up, do some low key A time and try again in an hour ok? It will help you and him not get so frustrated. Pu/pd really won't work if the A time isn't right and he'll probably think it's a game  ::) xx
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 17:42:04 pm by Kellyjs »

Offline Bella89

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 18:00:47 pm »
I think you're right. PU/PD is exhausting when done too long. At one point I didn't know what to do. I knew I reached my limit but was worried when I bring in DH it will make things worse. I think it broke me.
The reason I put him down then was my DH woke me up saying he fell asleep on the swing. He couldn't put him down in the crib becasue he started standing and crying...
It's like he is sending mixed signals :(

Offline Bella89

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 08:37:09 am »
He woke up 6 times during the night. At 1:30 I fed him (6oz of water, 2 dozes of formula instead of 6, we're watering down).Don't see any improvement on that but he was OT from the day I think. Didn't drain he's BT bottle either.

Today's first A time was 3h 45 min. He fell asleep wey better!!! :) Our routine is: I am sitting on my bed-lullaby then 3-5 min in quiet in my arms, and I put him to his crib. He closed his eyes as soon as I started singing so I put him down right away. He opened his eyes but fell asleep:)

Could that be a start of AP or are we ok if he falls asleep in his crib?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 13:39:44 pm »
Hi Honey. I am frankly speaking thinking AP has a role here, even if that started from wrong/too short A, I would say it's now because of AP. Almost 9mo, you shouldn't do any PU right now, only PD if not GW, if he can sit down by himself. You sticking back his dummy is also a kind of a AP. Can you explain in details step by step your settling process?
~Marta

Offline Bella89

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 19:13:54 pm »
Our routine is: I am sitting on my bed-lullaby then 3-5 min in quiet in my arms, and I put him to his crib.
Falling asleep happened once, I don't rock him to sleep. He usually falls asleep in the crib by himself.
He now stands up few times, so I pick him up and lay on his back again. Should I not pick him up when he is standing? Wdyt?
During the night I put him up cradle position, put his paci back in, lay blanket on him and put him down. Works 5/6 times. 1 time I still have to give him some formula.

Oh, and when I was so happy that he fell asleep he slept for 30min and I could not settle him back to sleep:( I ended up taking him outside in the stroller for his second nap because I was dredding putting him down :(

I was afraid paci ending is close. My intuition tells me it became a way of dealing with teething for him too :(

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2015, 08:06:28 am »
Can he get down by himself now hun? I would use your words if you can and pat the bed and ask him to lie down, it's sleepy time now. If he can't I would use the same words and just help him down. Pu/pd isn't really used for older bubbas as for one, it can be really taxing on your back and two, it can just over stimulating and they can have a basic understanding of language around now. How to PU/PD (inc age adaptations)

So sorry that nap was short, today is another day eh? Xx

These links could help you decide re the paci

Props vs Comfort items. Whats the difference?

PU/PD and Paci Use. Why they don't mix.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 08:09:38 am by Kellyjs »

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2015, 08:46:52 am »
I am not quite sure but I guess there is a case in Tracy's book when at that age even lifting up is too much and may become a AP. Dummy is fine if he can replug by himself. Below 12 months I would probably ditch the dummy completely (starting from daytime) but if you are reluctant, you may try to encourage him to replug by himself. How mobile he is? Mine wasn't too mobile at that age so it's wouldn't work but maybe your LO is. In that case I would find 2 pots (soft ones), and during day I would encourage LO to take dummies in and out of it, when sitting in a high chair let say. And than just put these two pots in his cot so he can find the dummy by himself. But as I said, I am not quite sure if that would work for bubbas under 12mo.

Re PUPD, at 8mo I would only do PD or as Kelly is saying, even encouraging him to lay down by himself if he can.
~Marta

Offline Bella89

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2015, 11:05:42 am »
Can he get down by himself now hun?
Well, he knows how to, but he just doesn't want to or is too confused to do it:/I started putting him down and talking. Talking of course will not work instantly.That's a long way to go, but I will try it.
Ha, I was sure Pu/PD is used even in older kids like 2-3y. My mistake.
He knows how to plug the paci but takes it out only if he wants to throw it on the floor. I think I will  start to put it next to him instead in his mouth. He knows how to use it by himself. I think at night it's my AP just to make him go to bed faster. I would rather get rid of it once for all to be honest. I think I should start Monday.

But just to be clear. If I get rid of paci and he will cry and stand up, I should use words, NOT pick him up, and try to put him down without lifting?
Also, if he puts fingers, toys, blanke in his mouth is that ok?

He is very mobile. Sometimes too much if you know what I mean :)
Thank you!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2015, 15:05:31 pm »
Do you have Tracy's book BWSAYP? There is a seriom about pupd divided by age. Doing PUPD is different depending on age. When they are 4mo you can put them up and even held for 5min if I am correct but the older they get, holding should be shorter and shorter as too long on mummy arms is becoming a prop. At 8mo I think you stop even lifting them up and just use PD part. In my opinion at older kids even putting down is a prop so it's worth only voice reassurance. So it really changes during time.

Paci is a different story. If he cannot find it you may help him find it by taking his hand and directing towards paci. As I said it's worth practicing a lot during day/ activity time so they know what to expect at night.
~Marta

Offline Bella89

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2015, 20:05:22 pm »
I do, I will certainly go back to that chapter. Thank you. Thigs you read when you are pregnant with the first baby... You forget all about it when the problem comes.
I think I am doing my best. I surely hope so... I am so tired these past 3 days... I was sure the worst time ( newborn) was behind us, but it's yet to come...
I am allmost sure it's teething that came into play right now. I gave my DS Ibuprofen last night and this morning and he had such a great sleeping time. Fell asleep crying, but it didn't take long. This afternoon I didnt want to overdose it and he skipped the whole nap. 1 out of 2 days he is on 1 1,5h nap a day:( I know he is OT, but there is nothing else I can do:(
If my only tools are words when I put him down I feel like it's going to be a disaster:( I will try... We have to get through this:(
I have to say... I do feel alone in this whole situation... Seems like I am the only one trying to find a reason and a solution. My mother in law came in the other they and rocked DS to sleep saying she did great at putting him down. I felt like such a bad mother:(I didnt even protest I was so tired and sad.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2015, 21:00:20 pm »
Oh Honey please don't fell like that! No matter if you AP his wakings or do sleep training - both ways are fine. If you think he is teething, maybe just help him go through that anyway and do the sleep training later. And ... It's nothing wrong with what you do to him right now Honey! We are just trying to figure out why he is not letting you sleep for the night and this rocking and lifting may be a reason. If you feel its teething, just go for whatever YOU think suits your little boy.

When I think on my DS, I think that even when teething or ill, not lifting was helpful at that age as it rather wound him up than calm him down. Gentle touch, your hand on him, silent voice - it can help him even better then lifting him at that age. If you are ready, just try. Remember that maybe first days are tough but maybe it will be better later.
~Marta

Offline Bella89

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 09:40:22 am »
Good news is I got well rested over the weekend thanks to my DH. He is so good to me :)

So DS is in good moods lately (it's either because his mamma is doing better or idk) which gt me thinking... He is clearly not in pain anymore, so It might have been wonder week or sleep regression or everything combined.No other teeth out, so I guess we're catching a short break. I was sure it's teething (maybe I was right, we will see next few days):/

I talk to him more and got him to sit back down, but he doesn't know how to lay back (or front) so I help him with that. That's actually better.
I don't put his paci in anymore I just lay it next to him. Today he slept till 5.20 without NW (woohooo !!:) and I think It was poo that woke him up. I couldn't settle him back until 6.20. He slept till 7.30. I wonder If it's EW issue we're gonna deal with now :( I cought him on putting his paci back in 2 times during the night. And mommy takes it back out ;p

It's getting harder and harder to put him for his second nap. If I manage to do it it's only like 20 or 30 min. It's like he switched to 1 nap overnight!! I know he is OT around 6.30 so I put him down earlier.

That's quite an update fr 3 days ;] They change their habits so fast!!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2015, 18:39:59 pm »
This is excellent news hun, I'm so glad you're feeling more positive.

Want to post what the last few days look like and we'll see if we can tweak anything to help with that second nap? Alot of people use apop to enforce a quick CN to get them to BT later on during the 2-1, so that's an option, but let's see if we can shift things around for you first. My DD started the 2-1 at 8.5mo too, so hope I can help!

Did I give you the link for the 2-1 to have a read through? Xx

From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

Offline Bella89

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 09:42:48 am »
Yes, I read through that post and to me it all looks like we are into 2-1 transition:/

This is our EASY when he naps in the afternoon:
7:00 WU and 6-7oz of formula
8:30 solids
11:00 S
12:30 7oz of formula
3:30 or 4 pm S (he sleeps for 30 min.He seems tired after 3h of A time though)
4 or 4:30 7 oz of formula (here he always finishes it, sometimes even 8)
5:30 rice cereal or muffin
6:45 6-7oz of formula
7:00 bed time story and BT, asleep by 7:40:/

This is our EASY when he DOESN'T nap in the afternoon which is most days lately:
7:00 WU and 6-7oz of formula
8:30 solids
11:00 S
12:30 7oz of formula
30min of quiet time and trying to put him down
4 or 4:30 7 oz of formula (here he always finishes it, sometimes even 8)
6:00 rice cereal or muffin with formula top up
6:30 BT aleep by 7-7:30

As you can see he fights second nap and BT. I really can't see if I am doing anything wrong when I put him down:/ He seems tired after second A time of 3h, but even when he is he won't fall asleep. He would have some quiet time with me, but becomes cheerful after a while and wan't to play.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 10:56:12 am »
You are doing really well hun, you're not doing anything wrong at all. It's a little bit of a guessing game tbh to find what works for a little while.

A couple of options really for you hun. Personally I would keep that first nap as the long one, it worked fine for me. Others might suggest to switch it around and do a short capped morning nap, then hope for a longer afternoon and that'll ride out the transition a little longer for you. It never worked for me as DD could do a full A time on a short nap. It worked when we were on mostly one nap and she was a little OT so I could apop a quick 15mims car nap in the car at 9am to get her through to her usual nap time but never really full term in the earlier stages.

So, either she start pushing that first A and accept he won't really do the pm nap much longer, or you can try for a CN around 4.30 (that'll have to be after his bottle, just do 10mins. A time after it if possible) and wake at 5pm latest and that'll bring BT to around 8pm. Which option would you like to try hun? You have got room in your day to make it a little longer? Xx

Offline Bella89

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2015, 16:43:07 pm »
Oh, I would love to make our day longer. I know when he falls asleep at 8 he can wake up at 7:30 and that's one happy mamma :)

We went for a walk today in his stroller and he fell asleep. So I rushed back because it started to rain and tried to move him to his crib. He woke up after 3min nap:( The same mistake I keep making. Thinking I can move him from one place to another when he sleeps. He is just one of thse not movable babies:/ I can try to take him out for his afternoon nap untill he looses it, but I don't want it to become AP either:/
Putting him down for afternoon nap at home is just not working anymore:( I am successful at it 1/3 times. I think I will just keep on trying since it is his quiet time anyways.

Today our day looked like that:
7:10WU
7:30 bottle
8:30 breakfast
11:00 S till 1:30
1:30 bottle
2:30 dinner
4:00 4min nap
4:30 bottle
5:30 solids with milk top up
5:50 bath
6:20 Asleep, he was really tired, but no OT I think
I didn't have time to give him his last bottle at 7, so I wonder if he wakes up from hunger:/ Do I feed him when he wakes up or DF him in this transition? He doean't eat from 7 to 7 anymore.
Do I start a day when he wakes at 5:30?
I think I have a hunch of what's going to happen tomorrow, but don't know what to do:/

Thank you so much for your support. I am doing everything I can here and I feel like I am really trying. I hope it will get better with time.
I hate seeing him tired, fighting with naps (and me) and meowing all day which can drive a person crazy:(I am trying to explain it to myself, but It's still difficult:(

I think I will try to push morning A time since he can extend that nap to 2h already.
If on 1 nap, is that nap suppose to get around 2h?

Thanks!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2015, 17:26:14 pm »
Did you have a 2.5hr nap in the morning there hun? Just double checking the timings.

I would always feed before BT even if it's a little earlier than usual if you can, especially if you've dropped the DF already, you don't really want to reintroduce it. I'd see how it goes tonight, maybe try a DF when you go to bed just to top him up this once but ideally we don't want it to happen loads.

It's great to see he will fall asleep in the stroller, mine never would. AP can be your friend during these transitions hun, honestly. As long as he goes to sleep independently for his other nap and BT all will be ok.

Perhaps see if you can apop a stroller nap for the time being, even if it is just for 15mins.

Ok, wrt starting at 5.30am. This works just the same as your quiet time hun. I used to try and leave DD as long as possible (as long as she wasn't crying). If she did cry I would ssh her and tell her it's still nighttime until the earliest I was prepared to start the day. For me, that was 6am, but you can choose  ;). It would be unreasonable for him to do much longer than 12hrs as he went to bed at 6.20pm especially if he did take a long nap in the am too.

If he does wake early tomorrow, how do you feel about a set naps? I would see if he can get as close to 11am and see what that brings. Then I would cap the nap at 1.5hrs and try for another nap at 4 again. He might be tired enough still to take that CN in his bed perhaps? Do a 30mims capped nap and that should get us to a later BT of 7 maybe even 7.15pm. I don't want to stretch the day too much, but hopefully that's a start? Wdyt?

It will get better with time hun, I promise. Fwiw once DD was on one nap it stayed there for well over a year until I had to change something again. And oh, I feel your pain with the whining, I've got that here atm with a 2yo teething!!

Yes, once on one nap we ideally want the nap to be around 2hrs. For some that's too lomg, but I think that'll be about right for yours given his sleep needs in 24hrs. At first it could be a 12-hr day and night, gradually they settle into a 2hr nap and 11hrs ONS, but that is the average ok? Not for everyone. We'll just see what fits yours best xx

Offline Bella89

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2015, 18:03:40 pm »
Thank you sooooo much:) I have to say, It does feel like you read my mind a little :)

Yes, his nap was 2.5h.

So I will try to keep him low key until 6:30 tomorrow. Let's hope he will wake up 6 and not 5 ;p
Maybe I can give him bottle next time. Today It was really hard to make it on time. I will know better tomorrow ;]
I think I'd rather DF today than wake 4 with hunger. But I do think he is too old for DF. He wakes up completely if I want to do whatever with him. But, I'll try. He woke up once already. Full stand up with eyes closed:/

Maybe you are right. If the weather will let me I'll do stroller nap tomorrow. He does go to BT and 1 nap quicker now, less standing.

I'll keep you posted!!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2015, 19:07:29 pm »
That's because I've been there hun, I've felt the exact same things! I messed up the 3-2 royally so made it my mission to get the 2-1 right! Don't think I did, but hey ho  ;). Yes! Please do keep me posted  :)

Wow, great nap so if we do cap that first nap to 1.5hrs we can pretty much get an apop'd CN in, then we might be able to put off the transition to one nap for a little while! He is still quite young to go to one nap just yet, although not unheard of, so if we can keep two naps for a couple of months of least it'll help keep OT at bay when he does need to go to one nap.

In either case, what you're doing atm with quiet time is perfect. I did the same. Good luck tonight, I'm sure he will wake for his feed but hopefully will be too tired to realise what happened! Xx

Offline Bella89

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2015, 13:50:57 pm »
It's good to hear it's not just us:)

Well, he woke up at 2:30am and didn't sleep until 4, but I think It was his tummy that bothered him. He fell asleep right after poo.WO at 7.

Unfortunatelly It doesn't work like that:/ Even if I cap that first nap it doesn't help. Still fights that afternoon nap.

I just go day by day. Decided to stress less about this. If he is tired I will put him down, if not we can do low key time or stroller walk:)

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2015, 17:04:57 pm »
That sound a like a good plan. A wise BW once told me, you can only offer them sleep, it's up to them to take it!

Pop by the 2-1 support thread on top of the naps board. I found it super helpful talking to others who were in the same boat xx

Offline Bella89

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2015, 10:01:59 am »
I have to say, the time change for daytime savings threw our whole day out:(
He wakes up at 4:30 and goes to sleep at 6, sleeps till 8:(
It's a nightmare. He stands up, and I lay him down again and again.
I don't think he understands my invitations to lay back down yet.
I am so tired:(

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2015, 10:28:59 am »
Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry it's not getting better for you atm. Daylight savings throw a lot of people out.

Do you say he going back to sleep at 6am? Do you get him up at 4.30am then pd for a nap or if he awake and faffing all that time in bed? Xx

Offline Bella89

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2015, 10:43:30 am »
We don't get up at 6. All this time I am trying to put him down.
At first I thought It's wet diaper that wakes him up, but that's not it.
He stands up over and over, throw things out of the crib to make me come and pick it up.
Today I tried:
pick him up and hold him in my arms to make him fall asleep, but he would just squirm and wanted to sit.
Put him down in our bed, pat his back and cheek, but he would just stand up holding our headboard and play around.
I let him in his cot, he stands up this whole time and talks and screams.
I tried talking to him gently to invite him to lay down (I always do through) he didn't seem to understand me at all.
So I started a series of putting him down. He stood up, I put him down and that happened like 20+ times which I think got him even more tired and he fell asleep.
Standing up is getting worse. I think he is getting smarter each day on how to call for me and what will make me come to him.
I don't know what to do anymore...
Do I continue to put him down each time he stands up.
Do I hold him in my arms on the chair before naps and BT.
Do I pick his toys and paci up or do I just leave it.
I got lost:(
I wonder when is the time I can put him in his crib and leave the room.
I wish someone could tell me it's gona be in 1 year, 2 years... That would make me feel better:/