Author Topic: 3mo son will not nap longer than 30 min!!!!  (Read 936 times)

Offline JenBee

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
3mo son will not nap longer than 30 min!!!!
« on: October 11, 2015, 14:14:50 pm »
I am new to this forum and I DESPERATELY need help!! My 3 month old son will NOT nap, no matter what I do and I'm losing sanity and hope. His easy plan isn't structured to time too well yet, s we only started, but he eats and then is up and active for at least 90 minutes or until I see the obvious signs of him being tired - rubbing his face, the 1000 mile stare, fussiness. Then I swaddle him and rock him to the point of drowsy but not asleep, and put him down. He naps great for only 30 minutes. Then he's up SCREAMING and inconsolable. He does have a dairy allergy, but it is under control. He feeds well and is gaining weight fine. I have tried EVERYTHING. Please, dear God, somebody come and fix my kid!!!

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: 3mo son will not nap longer than 30 min!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 16:10:40 pm »
Hi and welcome to the boards ;D

It sounds like he's just a bit overtired hun. Try starting your wind down once he has been awake for just 1hr 20, or even 1hr 15 if that doesn't work, so that he's falling asleep around the 1hr30 mark.

Offline JenBee

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 20:13:50 pm »
That's the issue, though. He seems to get overtired and overstimulated in seconds. He goes from playing quietly to screaming crying with no apparent cause. It's breaking my heart. 😞

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 20:35:20 pm »
Maybe try watching the clock for a few days instead of watching for cues? I know that when my two were that little, I had to be already swaddling them at the first yawn. If I waited for 3 yawns before doing the wind down they would a screaming overtired mess because their 'window' was so short, yk?

Offline JenBee

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 13:47:22 pm »
Yeah, that makes sense. Now the trick will be to convince my husband that our son needs to be put down that "early" into his wake time. 😕
On a slightly different topic, are two night feedings still normal at 3 months? I do a dream feed at 10/11pm, then he wakes every 2.5-3 hours after to eat and go back to sleep. I've heard mixed histories with 3 month olds eating only once after a dream feed or sometimes more often during the 3 month growth spurt. Just want to know if I'm creating a habit or if he's truly hungry. He does seem to fully empty a breast each time, and since I have oversupply issues, that's a full feeding.
TIA!

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 14:43:13 pm »
Two feeds overnight at this stage is totally normal.