Author Topic: 13 month old waking 4-5 times a night.  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Jens_01

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 12, 2015, 12:45:18 pm »
Ladies please save me 

I'm so sleep deprived. My 13 month old wakes frequently at night, from about 12-5. Bed time is 8 (after routine). Wake at 7 (although lately it's been closer to 7). One nap from 12:30-3/3:30. I have been holding to sleep as I haven't wanted crying to wake my 4 year old. Please help me.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: 13 month old waking 4-5 times a night.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 12:48:43 pm »
I see two potential issues.

First is 5 hours A time is probably a little short after a 3 hour nap and if he sleeps to 3.30 then 4.5 hours A time to bed is very short so he could be waking UT.

Secondly and most likely you need to work on independent sleep. I'd maybe start at the weekend when the house can be disrupted. How does he sleep for naps and bedtime initially?

Offline Jens_01

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 14:04:44 pm »
Admittedly it's going to be partly from nursing to sleep. I'm in the process of weaning one of her last three nursing a. Currently she has not bonded to any sort of lovey and doesn't take a pacifier. I thought of the shorter A time, but thought maybe that wasn't a big deal since she goes down with nursing quite quick and is usually getting cranky and seems tired. However I've noticed that on days when her nap is short, some she sleeps very well at night, others it's just as bad. I'm trying to figure out how to foster independent sleep without too much crying. I've misplaced my copy of baby whisperer and so can't look up how to handle a toddler versus what I did for my first when she was an infant.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 17:48:40 pm »
Sadly there is no way to do it without some crying.   There will be crying while she learns to self soothe. It would involve stopping feeding to sleep and putting her down more and more awake xx

Offline Jens_01

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 11:28:39 am »
What do I do when she cries. Do I pick up/put down? Do I sit beside her to reassure her? Do I pat her?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 20:48:20 pm »
You don't tend to do PU/PD at this age once they can pull up. Lifting my DD1 made her more upset as she thought I was going to rock her so she'd calm and then I'd put her back in the cot and it would start over again.

I just had a cuddle and sang then into the cot and patted her and held her hand and rubbed it and just reassured her. Once she was used to it I then faded the hand holding and then the patting.

How've things been?

Offline Jens_01

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 03:03:43 am »
Still struggling but making a little progress. I've found that with her (she's a VERY affectionate kid who needs physical touch and from the age of 5 months will request hugs and kisses) I've needed the pu/pd. At first she thought I was going to cradle till asleep but has figured out now that she will be put down quickly so she's adjusting.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 08:49:37 am »
So you're using PU/PD? And are you putting down as soon as she settles?

Offline Jens_01

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 18:27:00 pm »
Not even waiting till she fully settles. Just to reassure her. Usually a quick tight hug, a kiss and a sleepy time. Seems to be working. She still wakes maybe twice a night but settles herself within a few min. Only woke once yesterday at nearly 6am so that was tricky. But still got her back down without a ton of work.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 18:43:32 pm »
Sounds like you are making fab progress.  Amazing that shes settling so well xx