Author Topic: Help with pu/of for 13 month old  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Jens_01

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 12, 2015, 12:55:28 pm »
I used pick up put down with my now 4 year old when she was a young infant. I've neglected to do it with my now 13 month old due to a combination of a horrible delivery, family issues, a preschooler at home. Now I'm paying for it. I also can't find my copy of the baby whisperer. How do you go about doing it with a 13 month old. Plus she's waking frequently at night. Currently she's nursed to sleep and placed in her crib. She used to sleep quite well but the last 4 months have been horrible. Thanks for your help

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: Help with pu/of for 13 month old
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 04:27:36 am »
Sorry you're having a rough go!  With an older baby, you want to use your voice more than actually PU/PD.  You only PD if your LO stands up in the crib, otherwise choose some soothing, reassuring phrases and use those to help put your LO at ease.  My preference is "You're ok, you're just going to sleep, it's time for bed." but whatever works for you. 
The other thing is, don't go in unless your baby is actually crying.  If he's just babbling/laughing/singing let it go.  It might get on your nerves ("GO TO SLEEP!") but it's not really doing him any harm and he'll learn to settle himself.

Offline Jens_01

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 16:17:52 pm »
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately it's not babbling. It's bloody murder screams. I'll give the phrases a go. Fingers crossed

Offline lauradj

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 21:42:03 pm »
One thing I just thought of, has your DD made the 2-1 transition yet?  If not, maybe she's ready to and the reason she's waking so often is because she's not tired?

Offline Jens_01

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 18:01:05 pm »
She has. I'm wondering if it's a timing thing. She naps usually from 12:30/1ish - 3:00/3:30. May we its not enough A time for the night. Last night we cut it short but she was up about 4 times.

Offline lauradj

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 21:20:54 pm »
Do you think you could break the nursing to sleep habit?  I wonder if that's making it difficult for her to put herself back to sleep?  Even if you fed her a bottle in the living room instead of her bedroom, then read a story in her room and into bed?  It might make for a rough week while she got sorted out but then she would learn she doesn't need the breast to fall asleep.  What do you think? 

Offline Jens_01

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 17:38:13 pm »
We are working on it. This is the one nursing she's refusing to change at this point but we are working on it. Sometimes she's able to put herself back down, others not.