Author Topic: 4 week old napping all over the place! Help!  (Read 738 times)

Offline cathyandivy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 week old napping all over the place! Help!
« on: October 13, 2015, 13:00:59 pm »
I am really struggling to get my little boy onto the 3hr EASY routine. Problems:
First naps of the day are only 30 mins making a 3 he routine impossible - I try to stretch the feeds to 3 hours but more often than not the first few feeds are every 2 as he is not really sleeping for any length of time
I can get a good 2 hour nap out of him later on in the day - normally after 1pm but this is the only real nap he has during the day of any length
He is so overtired in the morning he doesn't feed all that well - taking around 2oz instead of 4pz for the first two or three feeds
He is jut staring to go three hours between feeds at night but the last feed around 4.40 can be a real struggle to settle him afterwards - if he does go down then he is up within an hour and unsettled - not sure whether to feed as he has only just eaten an hour ago and then we aren't all over again. Awful morning ok afternoons and evenings - what am I doing wrong?!

I know he is still so young but he's a good size already - over 10lbs and just feels like a baby who would take to a routine sooner rather than later. I started EASY with my first born at about 4 months and despite a rough couple of days, she has thrived on it. Hoping number two will do the same. Thanks in advance

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: 4 week old napping all over the place! Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 21:54:11 pm »
Hi there!  I know your LO is 10lbs but don't forget, he's still just a newborn.  My first was an angel baby and my second is textbook but with a hearty dose of reflux thrown in for fun, which can really mess things up.  So long as you continue to try and stick with the EASY order, things will begin to right themselves with time. 
With DS2, I did attempt Shh-Pat several times when he woke early from a nap but eventually I just had to just put him in the Ergo and take DS1 out for a walk or to the park and DS2 napped on the go.
Try to roll with the changes, even though it's really frustrating.  As an example, despite all the baby wearing DS2 is an independent sleeper, naps quite well (minus reflux flare ups and teething) and has STTN since he was 4 months old.  It does get easier, very quickly, you're just in the trenches at the moment.  :D

Offline cathyandivy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 4 week old napping all over the place! Help!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 18:15:11 pm »
Thanks so much for your words of encouragement. I think you're absolutely right - I need to relax abit and cut him some slack. So hard to be rational when sleep deprived and a newborn and toddler to look after! Thanks again - I will remember to be patient  :)