Author Topic: 9 month old night sleep/feed  (Read 1428 times)

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: October 14, 2015, 14:35:34 pm »
I am wondering if what is happening to us is normal at this age, what to do/am I doing something wrong and risk of creating wrong sleep associations.

My DD is 9 mo and 1 wk. She started waking at night to eat. Last night 2 times and woke up crying early and ready to eat again. Previous night she woke up once and then woke up 1 hr earlier than usual crying and ready to eat.

In the recent past, she would be fine going without eating all night, which is for us 18:30 to 6:30. Sometimes she would eat once.

She is eating 3 meals and 4 bf a day. Almost all are good meals and BF lasts the usual time. How do I know meals are good? She stops wanting to eat.

How do I know she is hungry at nights? I guess I don't really, but she would not settle herself, eats full BF and falls asleep right after eating.

One thing might be important, she is very tired by 18:30 usually and recently she started dozing off at the breast. Not asleep but probably very close to. She eats slightly longer though as well, so I would think she takes same amount of milk.

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: 9 month old night sleep/feed
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 21:41:02 pm »
Could it be that she's going through, or about to go through, a big developmental leap?  If she's suddenly needing to eat more and she's also more tired than usual, that suggests to me her body is in overdrive and the NW is trying to compensate for the extra needed calories.  Could you sneak an extra feed in before bed?  Hopefully this phase will pass within a week, if it is developmental.

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 13:27:56 pm »
I though that the developmental leap happens around 8.5 months. Am I wrong?

She also started having iron supplement, which coincided with a very low appetite for solids and then increased overall appetite for solids and BF. Could that be the cause?

I will wait out for a bit longer, but I am so worried I am not doing something right.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 13:43:17 pm by ele »

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: 9 month old night sleep/feed
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 18:22:42 pm »
For sure the iron supplement could be the cause!  She may have more energy now that she's receiving more iron and thus, she needs to replenish her lost calories.  Typically the growth spurts does occur around 8.5 months but each baby is different and her GS might just be a little later than others.  I'd say if she's taking a full feed at her NW, let her have it.  At the same time, see if you can't top her up during the day, maybe with a cluster feed in the 3 hrs before bed?  That may help eliminate the NW's for food.