Author Topic: Sleeping too much (?!?!) at "night"?  (Read 727 times)

Offline T.L.E.

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 15, 2015, 07:19:26 am »
Hey there!

I'm here today to talk about something which I still don't know whether it is a problem... My LO turned 10 months yesterday and she has been doing something very different for 4 days: I BF her at around 6:30-7:00 and then she goes back to sleeping until 8, 8:30 or even 9:00 (which is the case today!). She goes to bed at around 7:15 pm (yesterday at 7:00, sometimes even 7:30) It's still very difficult to write down her routine, because it's been going on for such short time. Before this "phase", she had a "normal" routine of 11 hours of nighttime sleep and about 2,5 - 3 hours of naps. She's been on a routine since her 2nd month of life.

Anyway, my question is whether I should allow her to continue sleeping for so long? I decided to try it because the weeks before she was not getting enough sleep during the day, the second nap was being delayed (not by me, she wouldn't want to sleep) and finished too close to BT. But now I'm a little lost... should I encourage her to continue sleeping for so long? How can we get to a routine again if I never know what time she will get up and the later she gets up the more difficult it is to fit the meals (e.g. lunch will actually be at the time of an afternoon snack).

Please help me to know how to deal with it! She has always had a routine which was good for her, flexible sometimes (because of other factors, such as going to a Mommies & Babies group) but always structured to fit her needs.

Thank you so much in advance!

Offline T.L.E.

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 07:32:41 am »
P.S.: I'm posting it at "NAPS" because I'm unsure about what to do with her naps, as she seems to refuse one of them but is too young to have only one. And when I say refusing, I mean staying with her for one hour trying to help an angry baby sleep, a baby who usually sleeps very well on her own  :(

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Sleeping too much (?!?!) at "night"?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 08:36:49 am »
I think a 10 month old would only have 1 nap if they were doing 14hrs at night.

My 10 month old usually sleeps about 11.5hrs at night, and then has about 3hrs worth of naps in the day (divided into 2 naps).

If you LO is miserable in the day and refusing naps you might be best to start you day after that morning BF. But if you are both happy enough its fine  :).

Offline T.L.E.

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 09:28:13 am »
Hi, thanks for the reply. That has been the case: almost 14 hours sleep at night. And when it's considerably less she does take the CT or a longer normal nap.

I'm still in doubt about how the rest of the day should be like, because 9 am is too late to get up! Is 6 pm too early for BT? It would take a lot of getting used to for us, since 7 pm has always been her bed time and if fits so good with dinner time, some time with daddy after he comes home, etc.

Well, I'm glad about any ideas :)