Author Topic: Need advice with nap and BT for 15 month old  (Read 10955 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Need advice with nap and BT for 15 month old
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2015, 10:11:01 am »
Merry Christmas to you too :)

My DS is 3.5 and this morning (my first day off) decides he's full of beans at 5.40am
Don't you just love xmas excitement  ::)
I have every confidence DS will stay in bed asleep until 7am lights-on tomorrow morning, even on the big day, but perhaps I am over-confident. We'll see  :D

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2015, 11:36:36 am »
I envy your confidence ha ha....I have no such faith!! ;D
Zoe

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2015, 14:04:17 pm »
Merry Christmas! Lol creations - my kids have never gotten up any earlier on Xmas day either but DD3 has been waking early, shrieking the house down and then going back to sleep (leaving the rest of us wide awake!). We had a talk last night and this morning I hear her quietly talking to her dolls.
Heidi

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2016, 13:26:45 pm »
Hi  :)

I'm back again!

LO is now 19 months. She was sick for a while then things were going ok for few days- sleeping around 11.5 hrs at night and 1-1.5 hrs for nap. Day would look like this:

WU around 7 am
S 13:05-max 14:35
BT around 19:30-19:40

Usually I need to put her down around 12:45 so she has time to fall asleep and seems to fall asleep 13:05. For BT normally takes her about 30 mins to fall asleep. For past few days it is taking her longer than 20 mins to fall asleep for nap. I have gone in and pat her past few days as she won't fall asleep on her own, just don't want her to fall asleep so late for nap so that it will be even shorter than it is now. Is this wrong? At BT it is taking her longer to fall asleep than usual. She is in all getting less than 13 hrs per day of sleep. Before she was on about 13.5 hrs of sleep and then it seemed to have gone down to 13 hrs, now even less. Is this normal in such a short period of time? She is doing around 11 hrs at night now or even bit less. However, before I had the problem for months of her sleeping so little during the day (less than 1.5 hrs almost always), now she sleeps longer, but I feel I can't let her sleep past 14:30 or she will have trouble falling asleep at BT.

We moved nap to 13:00 as you suggested, but it can't be time to move it even more already? Is this maybe developmental? Just let it pass or do you think I need to tweak her times?

She is grumpy or should I say having tantrums, but that has been going on for a while so don't know if it is because she is more tired because of less sleep.

I have posted last few days.

Thanks in advance for any advice!  :)

Sun 24 Jan:
WU 7
S 13:05-14:30 put to bed 13:47
BT put to bed 19:02 fell asleep 20:00

Mon 25 Jan:
Woke her 7:05
S 13:09-14:36 (woke her)  put to bed 12:48
BT put to bed 19:05 fell asleep 19:47

Tue 26 Jan:
WU 6:30 or earlier
S 13:06-14:30 (woke her) put to bed 12:46
BT put to bed 19:06 fell asleep 19:47

Wed 27 Jan:
WU 6:50 or earlier
S 13:12-14:42 (woke her) put to bed 12:47 didn’t fall asleep playing around pat her 13:09
BT put to bed 19:05 fell asleep 19:55

Thu so far:
WU 6:45 or earlier
S 13:11 put to bed 12:45 didn’t fall asleep playing around pat her 13:09

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2016, 14:35:19 pm »
Hi :)
How about trying the nap 10 mins later but wake her at the same time at the end of the nap?  So she will be a bit more ready for the nap as it comes a little later but she doesn't sleep into her A time, the  nap is 10 mins shorter. For some LOs this way of shortening the nap little by little over time works well as they make their way towards dropping the nap altogether (some at 2yo some much older, even 3yo+).
As she takes 1 - 1.5hrs nap don't let it go past 2.30 ish so she is still getting an option of 1hr to 1hr 20, hope that makes sense.
Keep BT the same for now, she might be happier to go to sleep at night with that slightly shorter nap.

Mine actually couldn't cope with the above method of capping the nap, some don't, mine had a 2hr nap every day but nights were more like 10.5hr and gradually got even shorter until the nap was gone.

What do you think?  Think this is suitable for your LO to have a little shaved off the day sleep?

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2016, 15:08:16 pm »
Thanks so much for quick reply!  :)

It makes sense, so nap at 13:15 instead of 13:05? But now she is almost falling asleep at 13:15 but still taking long to fall asleep at BT!

Just feel it is so soon moving nap again as when I last wrote nap was at 12:30 when we you said to move it to 13:00. Maybe she is one that won't be napping for long!

Would you say waking earlier in morning is also sign of needing to move nap?

So not developmental you think?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2016, 21:21:29 pm »
Would you say waking earlier in morning is also sign of needing to move nap?
I would think so, yes.

but still taking long to fall asleep at BT!
Well, maybe BT can be 10 mins later too, so she'd be put down about 10 mins later but fall to sleep around the same time she is doing now, just less time fussing and settling.  BT may go more easily (even without moving it later) when you wake her regularly at 2.30 rather than waking her at 2.40pm.
Sometimes 10 mins can make a difference.

I knew some LOs IRL who have dropped their nap by 24  months, it is not unusual in my area, my DS was more unusual by continuing to nap until 31 months.  So, maybe your DD will drop the nap earlier rather than later or maybe not, it could be that she ends up at 3yo still having a 30 min nap in the afternoon - I wouldn't want to make any predictions.

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2016, 08:21:39 am »
Thanks for all advice!  :)

I will try with 10 mins later nap at 1:15 pm and put to bed at BT at same time to start with to see how it goes.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2016, 12:29:03 pm »
OK - let us know how it goes, sometimes a little tweak is all it needs to get things running smoothly again but sometimes a bit more is needed. FX :)

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2016, 13:20:36 pm »
Hi again  :)

So I tried nap 10 mins later at 12:55 and BT at same time. First few days she fell asleep late for nap around 13:25 and BT late around 19:50-20:00. She seemed tired and grumpy. Then she started falling asleep around 13:06-13:13 for nap and BT 19:35-19:40. She seemed better. On Friday it changed again started falling asleep later for nap, for past few days falling asleep 13:18-13:25, but BT around same time as before. Waking her at 14:30 for nap and morning 7 or she wakes on her own around 7. I was away Fri and Sat, but put her down for nap today and still fell asleep late. Do you think I should put her down for nap a bit later still? She can fall asleep in 10 mins rather than over 20 mins. What do you think?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2016, 03:03:11 am »
You could but if it is only 20 min I would not worry too much, some kids like to wind down for longer. I would hesitate to wake her in the morning and after her nap as if all sleep/wake times are set by you she has nowhere to tack on if she needs it. When we still had a nap I let the morning wake up be flexible (as possible - not on work days where we had to be up and out).
Heidi

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2016, 06:18:12 am »
Thanks for reply!
It takes her more than 20 mins to settle for nap, more like 30 mins. Thats why I thought maybe I should put her down for nap bit later?

If I dont wake her around 14:30 she wont fall asleep easily for BT. I thought maybe if I let her tack on in morning it would be harder to fall asleep for nap. I used to let her sleep in in the morning before I moved her nap. As her nap needed moving I just thought it was better to wake her so she would fall asleep for nap as its taking her long time to. How long would you let tack on in morning?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2016, 19:28:25 pm »
If it was my LO I'd put him down a bit later for the nap but that's based on knowing that when put down at the right time he would just go straight to sleep. Whatever is the usual time for your Lo to fall asleep work that into the time you PD. So if it's usually 10 mins but now taking 30 I'd put down another 10 mins later. hth, of course all LOs are different some like to lie there thinking about the day before they nod off, others like a super short WD and straight to sleep.

Mine never slept late (I wish), how about you just give her another 15 mins to wake naturally?  If she is regularly sleeping late in the morning (past 7am) then I'd tweak the routine so that you know you are not always waking her but that she is waking by herself for at least one or the other (morning or nap).
:)

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2016, 19:26:28 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for quick reply!

I have tried to put down for nap at 13:05 (10 mins later) and she falls asleep somewhere around 13:18-13:25, I wake her 14:45 as she doesn't wake herself. I feel she is grumpy many times when I wake her as if she hasn't had enough sleep.

BT she falls asleep somewhere around 19:40-19:45 when put down 19:05 or have also tried 19:10. She sleeps for 11 hrs, last night was for 11.25 hrs. Total she is getting around 12 hrs 20 mins, which I feel is not enough. Previously when she fell asleep 13:05 for nap she was usually getting 1 hr 25 mins (was waking her 14:30) and sleeping 11.25-11.5 hrs at night. I feel she is going through a phase as she is trying to talk a lot and when put to bed trying to talk and maybe that is why it is taking so long to fall asleep specially for nap time. Could this be the case? She has also been having nightmares. Today she fell asleep 20:01 and said daddy after 5 mins into her sleep (dunno if she woke up or in her sleep). Yesterday when she slept until 7 am (11.25 hrs) she was much happier the whole day.

Do I go back to putting her down for nap at 12:55 like I did before ( it wasn't long ago I put her down for nap at 12:45)? I really don't want her to fall asleep past 19:45 if it can be avoided. I feel 13:25 is a bit too late for nap for her and maybe she does need more than 1.25 mins nap as she seems grumpy? What do you suggest?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2016, 21:25:31 pm »
If she's very chatty it could be UT for the nap, you said she was going to sleep quicker with the slightly later nap though so I'd continue with that.  If you feel putting her down later might help, more tired, less inclined to chat, goes to sleep more quickly, then I'd do that, another 10 min shift perhaps.

Do I go back to putting her down for nap at 12:55 like I did before ( it wasn't long ago I put her down for nap at 12:45)?
I'm not sure I follow the logic of this. She was refusing to go to sleep and taking a long time to go to sleep for the nap, indicators that she is UT so returning to an earlier nap wouldn't be my first choice.

There is no way mine would have slept earlier than he was ready and if he did agree to an UT nap it would result in a short nap and grumpy boy.  I had to give him enough time before his nap to ensure he slept well.

I wake her 14:45 as she doesn't wake herself. I feel she is grumpy many times when I wake her as if she hasn't had enough sleep
Why not let her take a longer nap then?
Mine needed a 2hr nap until he dropped it at 2.5yo.  some can manage well to reduce their nap time and add their sleep onto the night, some don't, mine certainly didn't. Without a good nap he was a mess. Maybe that's why you feel she needs more sleep. It's possible she just needs to have a good nap and shorter night to be well rested.