Author Topic: Need advice with nap and BT for 15 month old  (Read 10954 times)

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Need advice with nap and BT for 15 month old
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2016, 22:02:09 pm »
Thanks so much for your reply! It all makes sense.

She did fall asleep in pram a few times around 12 pm recently so had to engage her to prevent it, thought if she was tired at that time maybe moving her nap to 1:20/1:25 pm was too late. However when she has done that it has been after swim class and when she has been in pram for a while, still she wouldn't fall asleep quicker or earlier for nap, so like you say maybe not really ready for nap earlier.

If she falls asleep for nap 1:20/1:25 pm, should I just let her sleep until she wakes? If she sleeps for 2 hrs means she would wake around 3:20 pm, which is very late. Right now she falls asleep around 7:45 pm if I wake her 2:45 pm.. If she falls asleep after 8 pm isn't that too long day? I prefer she falls asleep around time she does now.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2016, 08:07:23 am »
In my experience on the boards people often look at how much sleep in 24hrs and try to get a longer night (understandably, who wouldn't want a longer night?) but personally, from what I experienced with DS, it isn't just about how much sleep in 24hrs but when and how well they sleep.  It was very important for DS to get a full 2hr nap.  It was far more important than him having a longer night, he *needed* that sleep in the day.  Thing is when sleep needs drop a bit you can't expect a long nap and a long night, not unless you have a very high sleep needs LO.
Mine ended up (can't think the exact age now) on a 2-4pm nap with 8pm BT. That is a very long morning A time and a very short A time before BT (only 4hrs before BT) but it worked for him.  Moving nap a bit later doesn't always result in a later BT.  I get that you don't want BT to move later, I do, I didn't want DS's BT to move from 7pm to 8pm, it took me a while to adapt and that extra hour dragged to begin with (I was ready for my Y time!) but once we settled into the new routine it was fine and then I experienced the flip side, moving BT back to 7pm when he dropped the nap.  Suddenly our evenings together were lost and we had to rush him to bed every night.
Only you can decide how to proceed though, you know her best  :)

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2016, 13:25:36 pm »
Thanks so much for sharing your experience.  :)

I will first try with nap and not wake her but let her wake herself to see when she will actually wake herself and keep BT at same time and see what happens. Just hope we don't have to move BT past 8 pm as that wouldn't make sense for her to have less than 11 hrs sleep at night?

Today I put her down for nap at 1:09 pm instead of 1:05 pm thinking she would still fall asleep latest 1:25 pm, but she didn't fall asleep and started tired crying so went in and pat her and fell asleep instant at 1:34 pm.

Funny thing is before she would sleep longer at night around 11.25-11.5 hrs at night, then it changed all of sudden to more like 11 hrs and sometimes does 11.25 hrs. She is really being very grumpy lately and it's very frustrating, I'm just thinking if this is her new personality or if she just is tired. Maybe you are right that she does need longer nap now for some reason.

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2016, 13:30:58 pm »
Hi, I'm back again.

LO is 20 months. For past 10 days LO has been waking early most of these days around 6 am instead of 7 am, sleeping only around 10 hrs instead of 11 hrs at night. I have tried twice to get her back to sleep in morning but it just doesn't work. I have posted last days of EASY below. I don't know what is going on. She is sleeping her nap later as you advised and when she is sleeping 10 hrs at night I have let her sleep around 2 hrs for nap so she doesn't get grumpy. Also there was a period where she did sleep her nap and didn't wake early into nap, but now that has started again after about 1 hr 10 mins so I have to get her back to sleep. She can be very grumpy in am and I think it's because she is tired. Yesterday she couldn't fall asleep on her own at night. Had to pat her and in all it took her 1.25 hrs to fall asleep.

Can you give any advice, do I need to do any tweak in EASY or do you think this is developmental? I just don't understand why she is waking early and not sleeping her 11 hrs at night!?

I really appreciate any advice you can give!

Wed:
WU 5:58
S 13:22-15:01 woke 14:43 got her back to sleep 14:45, woke her 15:01
BT put to bed 19:12 fell asleep 19:42

Thu:
WU 6:55
S 13:29-15:04 woke 14:37 got her back to sleep 14:42
BT put to bed 19:10 fell asleep 19:45

Fri:
WU 6:15
S 13:23-15:26 woke 14:35 got her back to sleep 14:37, woke her 15:26
BT put to bed 19:12 fell asleep 19:41

Sat: we were away visiting family whole day so nap time I can’t usually get her back to sleep when she wakes early from nap
WU 5:58
S 13:32-14:53 had to pat her to sleep as she wouldn’t fall asleep
BT put to bed 19:04 tossing and turning started crying 19:50 pat her fell asleep 20:20

Sun:
WU 6:24 or earlier
S 13:29 put her down 13:12 started crying 13:27 think very tired pat her

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2016, 19:17:40 pm »
Hmmm, thinking...
Is she still sleeping through the night ok even though it's shorter?

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2016, 19:30:30 pm »
Yes she is sleeping through.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2016, 21:15:32 pm »
Hmmm, ok, well, I'm not sure.
I have in mind that she might have gone through the 18  month regression earlier than most and that this disturbance at 20 months could be a language leap usually seen around 21 months but I would have expected NWs along with the BT reluctance and nap disturbance, as she's still STTN maybe it isn't this language leap at all.
So, perhaps teeth?  Anything on the move?  2nd year molars perhaps?
Could be a blip, cold coming on perhaps. Has she had jabs recently? (I forget when they get them without looking it up)

Some times when it's not obvious it's worth just waiting and seeing what happens next.

I'd be tempted to leave her routine as it is and see if she comes through this in a week or so.  The other option I can think of is to cap the nap and see if her night lengthens, and then see if she is in a better mood with the longer night, but it's not going to happen immediately, after all you've had some short naps and didn't mention she was happy so I assume she wasn't.
Sorry I don't have a clear answer for you.

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2016, 20:58:14 pm »
Thank you so much for your advice. I checked teeth and yes there seems to be 1 on the way.

Do you think I should cap nap or leave it while she is teething, let her have around 1.5 hr nap and not more? Yesterday I woke her after around 1.5 hrs nap, woke 5:40 am this morning (10hrs sleep) and today she woke after 1.5 hr nap.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2016, 14:32:12 pm »
I think I'd just wait it out for now and see how this teething goes.  Waking early (5am something) could be discomfort from teeth, LOs tend to wake around this time if anything is bothering them.  Hopefully her night will lengthen again.

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2016, 20:36:05 pm »
Hi  :)

Thanks for your advice!

LO has since a week been crying when putting her to bed at night and also for nap most days, have had to pat her to sleep. Think it is SA. She has also been falling asleep later than usual (around 8 pm or a bit later compared to 7:40 pm). She is still waking around 6 am or a bit earlier except from this morning when she woke at 6:55 am ( she fell asleep 8:15 pm last night. She has been ill during this time but she is better. I have been letting her sleep for max 2 hrs for nap when sick, today I woke her after 1.5 hrs ( she fell asleep 1:42 pm instead of 1:30 pm which she usually does maybe because she woke later than she usually has for a long time) still fell asleep at 8 pm.

Usually she would sleep 1.5 hrs for nap before being sick. I feel her energy level is back to normal after being sick.

Do you think I need to tweak her EASY?

Is it ok to pat her during this SA time? She won´t accept anything else, just crying.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2016, 21:14:12 pm »
You could try nap and BT 15 mins later with the 1hr 30 nap rather than 2hrs. This might help her be tired enough at sleep time to be less upset about it.  I would probably just see, try for a couple of days.
Sometimes they need to be really tired to nap when teething.  An extra 15 mins might help, and/or pain meds about 20 mins before sleep time if it's bad.

Is it ok to pat her during this SA time?
of course :) Always support when she needs it. If you think she would settle better after a good cuddle then go ahead and pick her up for a cuddle, then back into bed and stay with her if she's having a tricky time.

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2016, 13:55:45 pm »
Thanks a lot for your quick reply!  :)

She woke 6:22 am this morning. Today I put her down for nap at 1:30 am cried a bit when put down but calm after and fell asleep 1:50 am. I will put her down 7:30 pm tonight and see what happens.

Is it normal to nap so late at her age of 20 months or might it be lack of activity? We always go out in morning for activity, maybe we go out too late so we need to go earlier so she gets more stimulated. We are usually out of the house for min 2 hrs at least. In afternoon we usually go to playground if weather is ok unless I have to do other errands.

I'm not too sure if teething is affecting her ATM.

She is also waking quite frequently lately at night screaming think she is having night mares so I have to resettle. Maybe this is normal at this age?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2016, 14:10:58 pm »
Is it normal to nap so late at her age of 20 months or might it be lack of activity?
Certainly physical and mental activity helps to get them tired enough to keep the nap either earlier or the right length or less fussy to be put down. Not enough stimulation really can impact but there is usually a limit to what you can provide.  Just being out might be enough for a younger LO but for a toddler some needs lots of running, jumping, swimming type activities, mine enjoyed academic type things and this made him more tired (colours, shapes, numbers, letters) - so a balance of the two types of stimulation.
I honestly can't think off the top of my head what time mine napped at 20 months but he woke early, say around 6 or 6.30.  I do remember he ended up on a 2pm-4pm nap for a long time (8pm BT) and might well have been on this at 20 months, he continued that routine right up until he started the process of dropping his nap completely.

The night screaming could be night mares, could be developmental leaps (mine always shouted and screamed in his sleep and woke in the night when he was learning something!).  As you have been offering an earlier bed time but she's taking a while to go to sleep I wouldn't expect it to be OT causing the NWs, it's not like you've been  giving a super long A time before bed or that she's missed lots of day sleep.

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2016, 20:50:38 pm »
Hi again and thank you so much for your advice!  :)

Since I last wrote nap time has been a bit later around 1:45-1:50 pm for 1.5 hrs and BT every night SA so have to pat to sleep around 8 pm, She was waking a bit later in morning around 6:10-6:20 am compared to around 6 am for few days. I feel it is not much later and she is tired as only getting around 10 hrs per night. I do think it might be teething waking her earlier and also dreaming as I can hear her crying in sleep until she wakes up fully.

Today I put her to bed bit earlier for nap as I felt she needed it so fell asleep 1:30 am and BT a bit earlier fell asleep 7:40 pm. I think when her nap was 2 hrs she wouldn't fall asleep before 8 pm and that makes her night even shorter so better to stick with 1.5 hr nap.

How do you think I should go about teething, SA and developmental period? She has 3 more teeth to go so this might take a while and don't want her to be sleep deprived for a long period of time. If she wakes around 6 am is it not too late for nap after 1:30 pm? Of course I don't want her to wake earlier because nap is early, but I don't think it is at around 1:30 pm as it was just recent she used to sleep at 1 pm for nap when she woke around 7 am? Also she is almost doing 14 hr days, which I feel is also too long.

I really appreciate your advice!  :)

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2016, 22:14:31 pm »
Hi hope its ok to pop on here - my ds is 5.5 now but I always remember having a massive blip with his sleep at this age. We went on honeymoon & he was fighting naps, difficult to settle & waking up early too. We tried capping his nap which worked initially but then he got overtired & started NW too & was soooo grumpy all day so we knocked that on the head.  Then one day (around 22 months I think) it all stopped, just as suddenly as it had all started, and he settled on a routine of:

Up 6.30-7am
Nap 1-3pm
Bed 8pm

With hindsight I think it was largely developmental - as nothing we did made any difference! Just wanted to throw that in & say you may just have to hang in there & offer an occasional longer/earlier nap or bedtime if you feel your dd is getting overtired. Hth!