Author Topic: 16 months old breastfed ,2-1 nap transition help please!!!  (Read 1777 times)

Offline Lili12345

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
16 months old breastfed ,2-1 nap transition help please!!!
« on: October 18, 2015, 10:12:03 am »
Hi there- my lo- used to
have this schedule:
7am up
9.00 am breakfast yoghurt
10.30 am nap ( breastfeed to sleep)
12 up walk
1.30 pm lunch
3.30 pm nap ( breastfeed to sleep)
4.30-5 pm up
7 pm dinner then bath
9 pm bed (breastfeed to sleep)
(Wake around midnight when i go to bed sometimes breast)
5am wake for breast
So first of all i would really love to skip the 5 am breastfeeding. But if i dont he doesnt go back to sleep..
Secondly now he doesnt go to sleep for his nap at 10.30 anymore.
He either doesnt nap or naps around 11.30 am or 12.30 am (totally hysterical) or 1.30 pm ( over tired and hysterical)
If he naps that late he doesnt nap in the afternoon-
Wich makes him cranky from 5 pm onewards.
He only generally sleeps 10-11 hours at night but with 2 naps of 1.5-2 hours . But that was before now nothing works . Any ideas?
Ealier bedtime means earlier waking in the morning... and if he does more then 4 hours activities he gets overtired and hysterical... Also when he s overtired he doesnt eat.
Who has a similar schedule? how did you do it? 2 naps and later bedtime (10pm??!) or just one nap when? 11:30 and really early bedtime? Any ideas how to stop breastfeeding? Thanks for helping  :) :)

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 10:42:09 am by Lili12345 »

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 16 months old breastfed ,2-1 nap transition help please!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 16:19:02 pm »
Hi there and welcome to BW!

I think he sounds ready to shift to one nap...of course you could do 2 naps and a super late bedtime if it suits you but personally I like to have some Y time in the evenings so tweaked naps to suit that. When we started one nap with my older two we did a 4.5 hr morning A time and then slowly pushed that out. It did mean having lunch in two parts, more like snacks but it was not for very long. As for bf to sleep that is one thing I have no experience with at this age.  I imagine though it would be hard to stop one feed (5am one) without stopping bf to sleep for all sleeps as that is the only way he knows how to go to sleep currently. Switching to one nap might solve the 5 am wake on its own though.

Heidi

Offline Lili12345

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 17:01:29 pm »
Thank you Masyn,
i'm trying 4.5 h today. He was cranky for last half hour- i forgot lunch or snack before/ he slept for 2.45 mins. So that was late lunch at 2.30 pm And no breastfeed or nap this afternoon...
We went out when he got cranky ... Now dinner and bath at 7 pm...
Hope that ll go without beeing over tired..
i tried 12.30 nap before but it was screaming all day...
So thank you for your advice will try half lunch at 11 am and then at 2.30pm.
Also forgot afternoon snack to replace breastfeed wich made him cranky on days before..
Infact i have to do 2 snacks more. I ll keep you posted. Any ideas hoe i can make him sleep throw night...? he wakes at 5 sm for breast ? But has a big dinner ...
Do dou think 2.45 mind id to long for nap dhall i just let him sleep or wake him?

Offline 1stimer

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 18:30:56 pm »
When we switched to one nap we did an earlier lunch (sometimes ill sit him down to feed at 1045) and then he goes down at 1130/12 and then will get a snack when he wakes. He takes about 2 to 2.5 hrs and then he is generally ready for bed at 645. When DS was waking to BF early I just would lay next to the crib and pat the mattress saying "night night" over and over. If he went down it was great but at 5 am I would just try it for a while and if hes not going down after maybe 6 or 630 id get him up and nurse him once he was awake and wouldn't fall back asleep in a bright room.

[/url]

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 19:31:27 pm »
When mine first transitioned to one nap I let them sleep as long as they would.

I think at his age the bf at 5 am is more a habit than anything. Really by this age hunger is the last thing I would suspect on a nw/ew - most causes are teeth, development, illness and pure habit. Plus if the bf has been the only way he falls asleep he won't have any other way to get back to sleep. Sometimes an early bedtime can be helpful when switching to one nap.
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 20:07:43 pm »
I weaned that 5am  BF at 15mo with DS2 and 12mo with DS1. Those were also the times they transitioned to one nap (which is why I chose those times). It will be harder if he can only go to sleep on the breast though so I'd aim to teach him to sleep without the feed by gradually bringing the feed earlier and putting him down awake and then soothing him to sleep some other way like shushing, patting, rubbing his back etc.

Initially it meant we were up for the day at 5am but that soon wore off and he started sleeping longer as he stopped relying on a feed to get back to sleep if he stirred. Moving to one nap at the same time also meant he was more tired when he woke early in the morning.

Also check out the FAQ on 2-1. From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011