Author Topic: Later nap better than no nap?  (Read 3761 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: October 19, 2015, 18:07:38 pm »
So my 27.5 mo lo hasn't napped in a week but the past two days he ended up falling asleep at 2 pm. We go into his room for nap around 1 and he used to nod right off after a book or two. Now we read a few books He goes in bed and messes around for a bit then starts calling for me I usually go in and tell him it's time to rest and put him back in bed. The past two days he has fallen asleep but not until almost 2! Today he was up a little after 7 and was tired yawning etc at 1230. Ever since he got his new twin size bed he hasn't been napping but sleeping well in it at night. So I wondering if he's just trying to get used to nap time in his big boy bed or if he really just needs 7 hrs A time before nap? I've been just doing nnds and ebt about a 11.5-12 hour day but after a week with no nap and a lot of activity I thought he could use the nap therefore allowing the late nap. Yesterday he did fall asleep around 830 so only 5.5 hours A time before bed but he was also up early at 630. So I guess I'll just play it by ear tonight and shoot for an 830 bedtime and see how it goes. If it's s struggle i guess I'll just stick with the no nap. He usually loves a routine and the constantly changing bedtimes are a struggle. Some night 645 some 9! Any tips?

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
Re: Later nap better than no nap?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 18:57:57 pm »
I would just do a 30mins capped nap at 2pm to get him through to his usual BT (when he did nap). We're trialling something very similar atm. We did wu 7 ( usually 6.30), nap 1.45-2.15, BT 7.30 and she's still not quite asleep yet at 8pm today.

Remember the 2-1? That was quite inconsistent for a while, it did settle down though didn't it? That's what I keep telling myself anyway! Some days were 2 naps, sometimes 1, we just have to go with the flow during these transitions don't we?

Yours is doing really well with the NND's it seems, maybe just the odd catch up 30 mins nap here and there might see him through? We did that with the 2-1... A short CN here and there to keep OT  at bay! At least yours will pull a decent night, the max we've had here is 11hrs on a NND! Xx
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 19:02:20 pm by Kellyjs »

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 20:21:32 pm »
I woke him after 1 hour at 3 any earlier and he would've been miserable. Hope bedtime isn't too late just have to wait and see. It is trial and error as soon as I think I've figured it out it changes too! He normally does 11 hrs at night sometimes 12-13! I know some los do a late nap and still go to bed normal time. Fingers crossed

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 01:23:24 am »
So awake at 7 am, 7 hours A time before a 1 hour nap from 2-3 into bed by 830 fell asleep by 920 so over 6 hrs A time before bed. So over a 14.5 hour day! This is crazy! Everyone keeps saying don't give up the nap yet keep trying its important for them to nap at this age but this is not going to work 😕

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 02:02:11 am »
Everyone keeps saying don't give up the nap yet keep trying its important for them to nap at this age but this is not going to work 😕
It's really up to you. If you need a break in the day and can accept a later BT, I would try to keep the nap. If not, drop it.

Try to let go of feeling that a 14.5 hour day is crazy! I have really worked to let go of some of those ideas and it does help reduce the stress. My DD regularly does 14 hour days (the last 1 and a bit is in her bed - she takes ages to fall asleep) with a nap. She averages about 12 hours of sleep which works for her. It used to bother me when DD took a long time to go to sleep, but now I happily tuck her in and get on with my evening.

DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 02:31:02 am »
Thanks for the advice! It does get stressful. Just going to try to take it one day at a time!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 05:05:08 am »
Everyone keeps saying don't give up the nap yet keep trying its important for them to nap at this age but this is not going to work 😕

I have to disagree with that one! While I think sleep itself is very important and good sleep habits as well, napping or not napping is dependent on the lo's needs and the family to an extent. My DD1 could have done a similar long day with a nap but was also happy with no nap and an earlier bedtime, which made it simpler to have her and DD2 in bed for the night at the same time so we axed the nap. DD3 won't even take a nap anymore, she just does not need one.

What works best for you? Y time during the day? Y time in the evening? Could you set up a quiet time in his room? I have DD3 do 45 min in her bed with books and toys on the days we are home alone together (basically 10 days a month) for my sanity.
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 10:50:04 am »
I have tried the quiet time alone in his room but he just calls for me lol. I think the day was just too long and drawn out and late with the nap but I do prefer the y time during the day and shorter night. Think I'll see how today goes but the problem is that even know he didn't fall asleep until 920 he's already moving around a bit before 7!! Which is not even 10 hrs sleep so I think he might be tired for a nap today no?!

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 15:11:23 pm »
He might...DD3 rarely is after a bad night. The odd time she will fall asleep on the floor for a 10 min power nap but that hasnt happened in months.
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 19:53:31 pm »
Well he passed out in the car at 345!! He never does! Ugh guess we will see how he does with a 15 min power nap lol

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 01:44:28 am »
While I think sleep itself is very important and good sleep habits as well, napping or not napping is dependent on the lo's needs and the family to an extent.
This is so true. You are a great mom and you do a good job of establishing healthy sleep routines so things will be ok whichever way you choose to go. Remember, this is a transition time so there will be off days and some OT but it will come round right once you settle into a new groove.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 10:45:34 am »
Thanks for the kind words :) he hasn't napped in the new twin bed since we switched over! Sometimes I want to put his crib back lol. After having only 9.5 hrs of night sleep yesterday and being up by 7 no nap besides the 15 mins in car he still didn't fall asleep until 8! I'm guessing we have some ot going on but he's not catching up anywhere. Going to try for a nap today. Wondering if I should try a bit earlier instead of so late.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 17:58:35 pm »
Lo went down easy today for a nap at 1pm!! First time in over a week!! He was up at 730 today 11.5 hr night 5.5 hrs A time this morning! He didn't even seem tired to me. The only thing different I did was start routine earlier and read s few more books before nap. Although it could just be he's making up for only 9.5 hrs sleep and no nap yesterday. :)

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 19:34:49 pm »
Lo went down easy today for a nap at 1pm!!
Great! Enjoy your Y time!
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 12:08:54 pm »
We've been on somewhat of a late routine here. He's not falling asleep until and sleeping until 8 or after! Then I'm a bit hesitant with nap time. Normally it's 1 but should I move it back later when he wakes after 8? I think 130 is probably the latest in order to keep bedtime but I'd like to get back on the 8 bedtime 7-8 wake up. Should I do a nnd? Although being that he's been taking a nap I'd hate to mess that up.  Is that possible or should I just go with it?

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 13:06:17 pm »
I'm guessing clocks haven't changed yet for you? Or do you live somewhere where they don't? Our don't which is so nice. If yours change this weekend I am not sure how that factors in!

Do you think a capped nap might help rather than a nnd?
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 16:33:12 pm »
Yes we set them back Sunday at 2 am do maybe this later schedule is good that way when he wakes it will be 7 not 8 right? That always confuses me lol

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 01:04:38 am »
Sorry no idea! We don't change ours.
Heidi

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 01:31:25 am »
If he's napping again and you want to keep the nap, I wouldn't purposely do a nnd. I would either cap the nap or push BT a bit.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 01:46:21 am »
Ok thanks! I had to wake him at 815 this morning which is pretty late. He napped from 130-3 and then asleep by 830/40. He kept telling me all day today he wasn't tired. Maybe a growth spell.

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 23:06:21 pm »
It could be or he could still be recovering from the nnd's. Has he had a language burst lately? I just remembered that DD's sleep got yucky when she had one.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 23:42:42 pm »
We've had 2 days with no naps and hysterical at bedtime. It's awful. He's up at 745 we put him in bed by 730 after norm bedtime routine and he just screams and cries and gets out of bed and opens the door. It goes on for an hour. It's awful and stressful and upsetting. Not sure what to do.

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 02:26:45 am »
(((hugs))) Do you think an earlier BT would help? At least if he kicks off, it's all over sooner.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 11:19:36 am »
Would it be worth staying in the room and not engaging other than to put him straight back to bed? It really could be the new bed and the fact he can get up and down as he pleases and it may be worth taking a few nights to establish the 'new rules' as it were. It's bedtime. You need to stay in bed and not get up.  There could be a mix of toddler nonsense where he's testing the rules and getting frustrated and it may well just be easier to bit even let him up out of bed so he knows the score. Was he climbing out of his crib?  Is that why you moved to a bed?