Author Topic: Arching his back and thrashing at nap time  (Read 1760 times)

Offline JenBee

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Arching his back and thrashing at nap time
« on: October 20, 2015, 17:36:49 pm »
My now 14 week old son fights naps. He starts crying the moment I start taking him upstairs to his room. I darken the room, change him, and swaddle him. Then I sit with him in the glider to try to calm him down. He arches his back, his whole body, really, and turns his head from side to side a lot. I lay him in his sleeper, where he does the same thing. He absolutely hates naps. If he does finally calm down and go to sleep, it only lasts about 30-40 minutes every nap. I've tried lengthening and shortening his time awake and it doesn't help either way. He is very fussy all day because of these botched naps. I really don't know what to do at this point. The shh-pat does not work with him. PU/PD isn't recommended at his age. Help!!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Arching his back and thrashing at nap time
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 17:48:16 pm »
Hello, welcome to BW forums :)

Can you post your EASY times please? It would be helpful if you posted the real times things happen rather than rough times or what you hope for.  Also any brief note about his reaction at each point and what you do, eg if he wakes screaming at 30 or 40 mins what do you do to calm him, can you get him back to sleep?

I noticed on your other thread there was a though he may be OT and perhaps needed to go down sooner, I'm wondering if you are timing your A time suitably.  Also what have you done for naps up to this point? Help him, put in rocker or push chair etc??  What do you find sooths him most - you say shush/pat doesn't work, it isn't a magic fix but it is a well used soothing method which can be gradually weaned, it can also be adapted if you know of something your LO prefers for soothing.

Offline JenBee

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 18:18:25 pm »
Thank you for replying. His EASY times got messed up this weekend because we had family in town. Monday was a mess because he wouldn't nap longer than a half hour. So, here's yesterday:

E - 6:30am (he's a very early riser!)
A - 6:45-7:50 (saw him start rubbing his face)
S - 8-8:40 (struggled the last ten minutes)
E - 8:45
A - 8:50-9:45 (became fussy, like he was tired)
S - 10-11 (last few minutes were a struggle again)
E - 11-11:10
A - 11:10-12 (we went on a walk and he fell asleep during the last 15 minutes)
S - 12-12:20
E - offered, but he didn't want to
A - 12:30-1 (massively fussy, assumed OT)
S - 1:10 - 2:55 (the one great nap of the day)
E - 3-3:15
A - 3:20-4:50 (bath and bedtime routine last half hour)
S - 5:30 (wasn't fussy, just took a while to really fall asleep)

He stayed asleep until just about 8pm, fed him, went right back to sleep until 11 (dream feed), then was up off and on and was coughing. I think he might have a touch of a cold. 😞

I try to rock him to the point of drowsy for each nap, then put him down in his sleeper. The good nap was one where I rocked him the whole time. When he wakes up 30-40 minutes in, I try to do the shush-pat, but it never seems to work. I give him a paci, but as soon as it falls out, he wakes back up. If I pick him up and try to rock him, he just fusses and never goes back to sleep. I'm lost.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 20:55:12 pm »
OK, looking at your EASY times I would say that he is often UT (under tired) for his nap. His signals of back arching etc are consistent with this.  I'd say he is trying to communicate that he is not yet ready for a nap.  Much later in teh day he is accumulating tiredness due to the short naps and is then more likely to take a decent length nap - also because you are holding and rocking him so he is transitioning more easily into the next sleep cycle.

Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!
I would put him down for a nap not less than 1hr 30 after he wakes up, even after a short nap.
For the first nap of the day I would increase it to 1hr 45 if you usually do 1hr 30 (as per your EASY above). He may begin to show the tired cues but around 4 months old babies cues can be a little confusing, they can begin to mean baby needs a different activity.  It could well be that your LO has reached this stage a little earlier, mine also hit the '4 month regression' at 3.5 months.  When those first cues come try a different activity, move to a different room or different view, read a book or pass him a different toy and see how he responds.

How do I address habitual wakings? (wake-to-sleep and other methods)
Have you tried a W2S to help him transition during his nap?
This is a really useful method as it offer LO support and comfort in the lighter stage of sleep rather than letting them fully wake up, it is also a way to help them learn to transition independently (initially with help) and builds the habit of sleeping longer.
Rather than pick him up can you go in at 30 mins (go in at 25 mins if he more often wakes at the 30 min mark, you need to be there ready to start before the wake up) and begin and adapted shush/pat.  He likes being rocked rather than shush/pat so I would adapt in this way, place a firm hand on him and move your hand just a little so he is being rocked whilst still laying down.   This type of rocking or rubbing motion is easy to reduce and stop over time in just the same way as the patting part of shush/pat. I used this with my own LO.
I would suggest using the W2S method on the first  nap, it is fine to use it every nap but you might find this too tiring and need some Y time, if you choose to do it on one nap per day (eg first nap) it needs to be the same nap each day so don't do nap 1 one day then on another day switch to nap 3, you are building a sleep habit so it needs to be consistent.
If you find you are there for a long time (it takes a full 20 mins to get into deep sleep and he may need help right up to deep sleep stage) see if you can find a relatively comfortable position, maybe a low stool or chair by the cot with your arm through the bars.

The other thing I wanted to mention although not about naps specifically is that you do not need to feed at every wake up if LO is not due a feed and is not hungry. The EAS pattern may become EASAEAS when you are getting short naps. This is fine. Just a little A between E and S will avoid a feed to sleep habit forming.

I hope this helps.