Author Topic: Spinach for 9 month old  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Spinach for 9 month old
« on: October 21, 2015, 09:49:50 am »
I wanted to research that but counldn't find any straight answear.
I wonder what's your experience.
I cooked some spinach soup with rice and rabbit meat for DS and he pooped 3 times yesterday. I know poo can be green after, and It was (today as well) but he's usual is 1/day. A little watery, had like a black sand in it. Sorry for too much detail:/
Can spinach cause some mild diarrhea? I think I will skip it for now.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Spinach for 9 month old
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 12:10:03 pm »
Whilst I wouldn't expect spinach to cause diarrhoea it's possible for any food to have a negative effect. People can be intolerant to anything it's not limited to the better known 'intolerance' foods.
I would hold off on spinach for now.

Watch out for that diarrhoea and take LO to the doctor if needed (in the UK it is advised to take an infant to the doctor if there are 6 or more occasions of diarrhoea in 24hrs but if you are concerned about it go sooner, especially if you are concerned about the black sandy aspect), and keep LO hydrated (regular milk times and some additional offers of milk or water).

If it's just a one off and LO is fit and healthy I would avoid spinach for a little while then do a trial to see what effect it has. Make sure it is well washed and cooked.

I hope your LO has a rapid recovery x

Offline Bella89

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 16:23:25 pm »
Well, after yesterday's dinner he pooed once today, so I think he recovered from mommy's cooking :)
A little green but no black sand.
I will hold off with it for a while, but I still have 2 portions of that soup frozen so will try in a couple of weeks. But way less at once.

Thank you!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 17:34:35 pm »
Good to hear he seems to be ok. Always best to be cautious with young babies and diarrhoea.
Hopefully the next time you try it there will be no problem as it sounds like he enjoyed it!

Offline Bella89

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 17:52:54 pm »
Oh yes! He liked it a lot, I think It was also because I added chunks for the first time :)