Author Topic: Breakfast and supper for almost 9 month old  (Read 2343 times)

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Breakfast and supper for almost 9 month old
« on: October 12, 2015, 10:34:21 am »
Hi Ladies,
maybe you could give me some ideas for these 2 meals?
I was never good with cooking, I always lack ideas:/
I ended up giving my DS for breakfast:
-babyrice with formula and fruit, natural yogurt with juice, scrambled egg (not fried)
Supper baby cereal with fruit or juice with formula top up, instead of BT bottle

I just don't know what else I can give him. I look at what I eat and just don't see how I can give him ham, cheese or bread yet:( He was EBF till 6 months, now is solely on formula.
What do you think.
I would love to steal some of your ideas:)
Thanks!

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Breakfast and supper for almost 9 month old
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 13:57:35 pm »
pancakes (e.g. with fruit/yoghurt - you can cook them eg with blueberries in)
porridge
omelette
bircher style muesli
banana bread eg http://mamacook.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/sugar-free-banana-bread-for-babies.html
mini muffins (with no sugar eg these: http://mamacook.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/no-added-sugar-oaty-mini-muffins-for.html)
falafel
French toast

I look at what I eat and just don't see how I can give him ham, cheese or bread yet
Is there a medical reason for this? Does he have allergies?

If not, lots of 9 mos love a bit of toast (lots of different things you can spread on it eg hummous is a big favourite here, or cream cheese).  You do have to watch out for salt of course but a bit of cheese is generally considered a good addition to a baby's diet.
 You can try different sorts of bread too eg pitta bread is also a favourite here too.

Lots more ideas here too:
Finger Foods (6 months+)

and here:
http://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes/category/baby-6-9-months
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 14:17:26 pm by cath~ »
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Bella89

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 18:17:59 pm »
Is there a medical reason for this? Does he have allergies?
No, no allergies. Everything he ever ate he tolerated very well.
I think it's just me thinking that not even 3 months ago he drank only milk. I am just a little scared of different food textures, tough stuff that he can choke on like bread. He has only 2 teeth.
And ofcourse all the chemical additions to our food - ham, cheese and baking powder for pancakes.
But I guess he will soon eat that anyways:/

Thank you, I will deffinitelly go forward with this!!
He is no longer a little mammas boy :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 18:35:17 pm »
Personally I would skip the ham, it's not a rule, it's just me.  It's a salty processed meat and for that reason I'd skip, but like I say it's not a rule, just watch how much salt a LO eats for instance if it turned out he really really liked ham that could be an issue, if he just ate a bite or two then fine.  Other meats can be offered, no teeth are needed for meat but do make sure it's quite a big hunk so LO can hold on to it whilst he gnaws, gums and sucks at it.

I really do agree, on the whole, that you can look to your food to offer piece of.  I generally cut out salt in my cooking when I started to offer to DS, and often used less than the recipe called for on things like baking powder for pancakes.
I understand the reluctance to offer bread which I always felt could go a bit doughy in the mouth and become more of a choke hazard than many other foods, for that reason I avoided soft bread initially, maybe you could do the same until you are more confident in his ability to manipulate the food in his mouth?  But things like pitta which cath mentioned, or toast, chapati, naan, are kind of less doughy.  I began on 'regular sliced bread' by giving him my crust which was less doughy too.

Not sure exactly how your eating routine looks but wanted to just mention this is very early to be dropping the BT bottle.  If you want to offer supper as one of the solids meals in the day I would do it much earlier so that a full BT bottle is taken.  WU and BT milk are generally the ones you hold on to right up to (and for many beyond) 12 months.  Toddlers need a good amount of milk each day.

Offline Bella89

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 19:42:55 pm »
So It used to be:
7 8oz formula
8:30 breakfast
12:00 6oz formula
13:30 dinner
4 8oz formula
5:30 supper
7:00 6oz bottle

But my DS is refusing naps lately, teething and learned how to stand up. That is making it difficult to fit in a day.
Past 2 days I did
7 8oz
8:30 breakfast
1 8oz
2:30 dinner
6 4oz of rice with formula and 4 oz of formula to top it up
I tried to add and extra FF at 7 but he ate only 1 oz

What do you think?
The reason I add rice porridge to last feeding is that I want to add extra calories. We're watering down last NF.

Yes, you are right. I'll watch salt and sugar but try different things:)

Offline creations

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 20:44:27 pm »
If you're dropping a night feed you need to ensure his day milk feeds are all in place, actually he needs all his milk feeds in palce anyway, he's young yk?  He gets more calories from milk than solids so milk remains his primary source of food, again dropping a night feed what he likely needs more of in the day is milk, not solids. I would say there's a risk he will be more hungry if his last feed is rice cereal with a milk top up than if he had just milk.  Also rice cereal has very little in the way of nutrition, I'd go for something else as well as at a different time of day.

Time wise, I know it can be a nightmare fitting it all in around naps.
Maybe you can bring breakfast a bit earlier (8am) then a milk feed before nap time, you only need a minute A time between a feed and sleep to avoid props.  Then in the afternoon you could either continue with the 1pm milk and 2/2.30 dinner or you could switch to solids at 1 ish (because milk came before the nap), milk at 3ish, dinner 4 ish, plus BT milk 7 ish which gives you 4 proper milk feeds and also allows for 3 solids meals/tastes.
That would be quite a common routine.
hth

Offline Bella89

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 07:16:59 am »
That's a good idea. I will try that.
As soon as I started watering down formula he started sleepieng through the night, so I didn't even drop 2 dozes and feedings were not neccessary. We also moved from 6oz to 8oz bottles so he is good on milk intake during the day.Also, if I add formula to his food I also count it as formula intake.
He is teething now. We didn't have any trouble or pain with lower ones, but it seems like his upper one is coming out and he is in pain :/ This morning he cried himself to sleep at 9 (6am WU, he normally WU at 7, I think it's teething here too). It's dif to take control of his naps too. I just try it to be fairly reasonable and not cause any OT.
Thanks for your advice. You got my inspired :) I'm baking mini muffins today :) Need to find a good recipe though.
One more question, do you use whole wheat flour for baking? 2000 when it comes to grading in processing wheat?

Offline creations

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 08:07:41 am »
I think there are some muffin recipes in the finger food thread cath linked. Also our own member lemonthyme has a recipe blog (mamacook which cath also linked above) with quite a few muffin recipes and some savoury scone recipes you might like.

Generally you don't use whole wheat for babies.  That goes for bread, pasta, brown rice, home baking etc because it is very filling so baby might get too full and not then take enough of a balance of other foods/milk.  It would be ok if it was just a little, for instance for sliced loaf I gave DS our whole grain bread because he only had a little (and because I wasn't going to buy a whole white sliced loaf just for him, the rest of us wouldn't eat it) but other things I bought white, pasta, pitta, chapati, tortilla, bread buns/baps, etc which meant on the whole he ate white.