Author Topic: 2-1 Transition - how much APOP'ing ok? Napping on us a lot... nervous!  (Read 5637 times)

Offline chauncycay

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Happy baby is more than a yoga pose :)
Re: 2-1 Transition - how much APOP'ing ok? Napping on us a lot... nervous!
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2015, 02:01:33 am »
Already up twice, 7:30p and 9 pm :(
Super unhappy girl.
Poor thing.
Hoping she gets some good sleep in the middle. Ugh.

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2015, 07:34:54 am »
Typical transition OT behaviour hun. It's showing that after a decent first nap she's not willing to take a second nap. Annoying, but it does show we're heading int  he right direction.

Now it's up to you, but I did have someone going through the transition at the same time I did and they found having 2 short UT naps actually helped them through the transition for a month or so. It's not the norm, but it did work for them. So we can either try that and bring back the first nap ever so slightly and expect an UT nap as we know she'll take an afternoon nap that way, or we keep pushing that first nap (after today where we'll keep it where it is), and keep trying for a CN (even if it's just down time in bed) until that nap gets to where it needs to be? Xx

Offline chauncycay

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2015, 16:21:41 pm »
Ack. Ok.
Well she finished the day out like this.
6:15a WU, kept in crib for a few but she was super chatty and happy :)
9:15a yoga happiness
11:50a nap - 1h10min!!!!!!!!!!
no nap craziness for the afternoon
6:30p Down
7:30p, 9p, 11p NW
6a WU (5:55), it was another wet through the diaper/pj/sleepsack :((((  (I bought alternative nighttime solutions, they are en route! grrr makes me frustrated for her)

She's insanely cranky this morning.
Nursed really well for the first time in a while, but otherwise a mess.  I made scrambled eggs for us this am and she wouldn't eat more than a bite. Cranky pants!
Even on her morning walk with DH she pitched such a fit he had to carry her out of the stroller with the dog too.
So he's going to put her to nap sooner a little since he's tried everything and she's just a mess.
Meds, bottle at 10:30a. she wouldn't finish even that.

So fingers crossed and we'll see.
Would 11:30a be an UT nap then since it's earlier?  It's so hard to tell when she's this cranky.  She's still got tiny bags under her eyes but I think it's a little chronic OT at this point.  Last night the early NW also = OT and skipping that CN so too long of A before BT.

Ack - it is the cycle!

Let me see what time he gets her down.  If it's close to the same 11:50a then we can hold that today/tomorrow and push to noon on Saturday?
Is that the best course?

I'm taking tomorrow off - which is either helpful or not.  We seem to get "off" on weekends when I put her down since she tries me for a sucker (boobs).

I'm tempted to take off, but ask DH to still put her down so we're consistent.  I'll go run errands "work" and pick up a nice lunch for us. Maybe that will work.

Thank you, Kelly! xx

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2015, 18:19:33 pm »
 Might be a bit late hun, I don't know the time difference? Grr to the wet morning again  >:(

Tbh on days like this when super cranky and I knew OT had set in, that's when I did the quick 15mins CN at 9am to see her through to her usual nap time or a bit later (at 12.15/30). As a one off, it just used to re set her yk?

If you do get an UT nap this morning, I'd try for a CN again and don't wake her, ( unless it goes much over an hour) at the usual time which will be a bit longer of a stretch but still in keeping with your set times. Then keep BT the same time again. Let me know how it goes xx

Offline chauncycay

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2015, 18:27:37 pm »
We're in UTC-5 Central Daylight US :)

ok, so he did the nap at 11:30a - she passed out, he did w2s at 20 mins (I wasn't down there to suggest anything so I guess he thought she'd need it... seems like a regression from yesterday but I think he was nervous and needed to try something).

She slept 45 mins.
So I think we just regressed a bit today :(

We talked about how it shows that she's not going to nap longer if she goes down earlier.  This will keep her on two naps, of varied short length.
So that's good. We can see that and agreed that the push to later on the am nap is what works along with wearing her out.  That was the issue today he couldn't let her be super active or even get the long walk in for wind down because she was so cranky.

CN at 9am - makes perfect sense! and if that's successful push the am nap 15mins later.  Love it!
ok so 4p CN (hopefully a good one) and "normal" early BT tonight.
ARGH!

I've got hemp/organic cotton blend fitted overnight diapers and wool cover on the way... :) determined to make that work and keep her dry old school! xx

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2015, 19:36:45 pm »
New nappies sound cool!

Argh to the short nap. I don't know why but I think it was when I was fed up too, I just thought let's do a quick CN in the car or something at 9am (especially if she woke early like yours has), and just that little nap perked her up and saw her through to her usual nap time or 15mins later. It was only ever now and again, but I do think it helped my sanity! Keep it in the bag later on too when she's mostly on one nap, those little top up naps once in a while can help too, especially if we keep with the set nap route through the transition xx

Offline chauncycay

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2015, 00:57:10 am »
Recap, for me really :-), today
6am wu (wet :( )
Cranky morning
10:30a meds and bottle
11:30a nap 45 minutes
Took temperature, fine, she's just that cranky today and chewy, teething
3:50p CN 40 minutes
5:45p dinner
6:20p meds, bath, bottle
7:20p down, she took a while to go down, hot and a little fussy for dh.
Tomorrow I'm on. We shall see. She's not been doing well for be lately :(
Wish me luck. Xx

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2015, 08:20:58 am »
Good luck hun! Whatever happens, don't worry. Tomorrow is a new day and her birthday!!  :) xx

Offline chauncycay

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2015, 19:25:40 pm »
She only got up *once*!!!!
4:30a, easy resettle, I got her siren and she babbled a bit and dozed back to sleep until 6am :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Then a crazy tornado watch/thunderstorm started. Did she budge? Nope! :-)
Sound asleep even though the giant puppy started crying :-)
When she woke up at 6 I went in and cuddled with her for another 45 minutes. I knew she wouldn't go back to sleep in the crib once she was up with loud thunder but she did with me. :-)
11:30a dh got her down for a nap, she slept for an hour! :-)
I'm finally getting my hair done so hopefully she'll be good for papa. She was a little fussy after her nap but she had a few boogers and I know she's in the super fun wonder week. She's doing great though!
Tomorrow's the party so we'll try to push closer to noon for a nap and hope she gets a good one. Either way she'll have fun. We had only one rsvp of a no (who knew?!)... 35 adults and 15 kids expected tomorrow, and it's raining hard, flash flooding, so the outside activities are a no go. Hopefully our tiny house will survive the fun! :-)

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2015, 19:54:36 pm »
Oh my days, that's going to be hectic! I'm sure it'll be great fun though, very exciting  ;D

Amazing news about the NW. And well done mummy for the cuddly snooze in the morning, bet that was lovely.

I'm so jealous, I so need to get my hair down too, enjoy it! Happy birthday to your LO tomorrow, I'm sure you all will have a wonderful day. Speak to you when you resurface after the chaos  ;) xx

Offline chauncycay

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2015, 21:01:52 pm »
At least if my hair goes more gray tomorrow no one will tell ;)
Cheers! xx

Offline chauncycay

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2015, 22:01:11 pm »
Hi there, Kelly :)
Well, little miss did not like the cupcake I baked, fresh fruit puree, whipped cream, no sugar, coconut on top.  Nope - cried!
*Loved* the pulled pork. Hmm. Meat eater! :)

We survived and had fun at her birthday party, I have no idea what has happened each day/night since but in the last week we're definitely transitioned to 1 nap a day - the cat nap is long gone ( I think she only did that ~4 times!) and the nap is now ~1.10h generally.  So a tiny bit more daytime sleep! (better than 2 cranky 30 min naps!)

Nighttime she's going down usually super easy for DH (usually 6:45p) and sometimes wakes at the first transition, sometimes not until after midnight.  At most only once, but sometimes up and down really for an hour or so :(
Then consistently waking in the 5am hour, I can get her down once for ~20-40 mins then it's nap on mom time until at least hopefully 6:30a when I feel it's a decent time to feed her and start the day.

Consistencies:
BT 6:45p-7p
EW (I think, but maybe this is just her max?) 5am hour

The pediatrician (we went for her 1 year well check on Monday) said that 12 hours a day is generally what you're looking for and it doesn't need to be consecutive, so while this is overall on the light side of sleep, if she's happy most of the time this is good.
She's definitely super social, super mobile (running! after walking for 4 weeks...) and babbling up a storm and eating really well.
She just had a crazy growth spurt - confirmed! and now has two more teeth cutting through up top and .... molars :( ack.

So after talking to the pediatrician I think she's doing great and is definitely making progress on all fronts.
So we're good.  Just tired mama and papa :)

I think once these teeth are in there may be better night sleep for a couple of weeks - until the next thing happens!

Oh and wool diaper covers with hemp + organic cotton fitted nighttime "heavy wetter" diapers. BRILLIANT!  Very little maintenance - seriously. And my little angel is not waking for wetness! Ever! AH. So glad we fixed something! :)
Plus a sweater butt once you see one is really dang cute :) and I found out that they are great in any climate.  It's hot still here in November (ridiculous, 80 degrees yesterday) but she's super comfy in that combo + a light cotton pj and a light cotton sleep sack.  Amazing!
She did actually STTN the full 11 hours for Thurs - Sat, I think it was between teeth/growth spurt.

I swear we're just left with the extra ibuprofen dose after midnight whenever she wakes in pain because the bedtime does wore off :(
So.much.drool.
Molars. Ugh.

Ok, that's my report.  I will post with any diversions or exciting accomplishments!
xx and thank you again for everything!
(mwah!)

Offline chauncycay

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2015, 22:04:57 pm »
ha! and it's been two weeks. hilarious. yes, I'm in a total time warp over here...
I have a toddler?! a one year old?! What the heck happened? :)

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2015, 19:41:59 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, it's been hectic here. That is so cute  ;D I was thinking of you the other day and wondering how you're getting on.

I love it that she loves her meat, pulled pork all the way here too! And so glad her birthday went well. It's hard isn't it, accepting your little bubba is a toddler!

Do remember that at 1yo and from now on every 6or so months there are developmental leaps. A bit like the wonder week before but now they happen every 6 mths or so. They tend to coincide with teething for the next few which is a pain as well  ::)

For some at the 1yo point they sleep a little more, mine did. For some they need less after going through the leap already.  Especially as she's talkimg and running I would expect you've been through it and that's probably why we managed to keep the 2 naps for a little while. Talking, I've found gives the worst night disturbances but I don't think that's for everyone.

I would watch out for that NW after the first sleep cycle at night hun. That's definitely OT by BT so we will need to reduce that. A to BT a bit. You've got quite a long day atm with a 5am wu and 6.45pm BT that I'm thinking a little OT generally might have crept in.

We would call 12hrs sleep in a day, low sleep needs here. I think we should be aiming closer to 13 tbh.

When is the nap set at hun? Don't think you mentioned it? 1hr 10mins could also be an OT nap for some. I wonder if a couple of EBT at around 5.30pm could work? It does take a leap of faith though, but it does help some bubbas get back on track especially in the early days of transitioning to one nap.  That way if she does wake at 5am at least she might have had more sleep overall?

It's totally up to you hun, you and she sound happy, but I wonder if just a few little tweaks might help?

Those new diapers sound amazing, go you for finding those!! Yay! Xx

Offline chauncycay

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2015, 17:34:19 pm »
Thank you, Kelly :)
12:30p set nap
won't CN
6:45p BT (want 7p since she only sleeps 11 hours max, but this is norm)
wakes usually in the 5am hour :( I try to keep her down on me until 6:30a. By this point I've resettled her in the crib at least twice so I take the cuddles.

Ok so last night and the night before were pretty bad. Last night was horrible.
We were off on Saturday - had to drive to great grandma's to visit.
She's not one that falls asleep - anywhere really - but not in the car.  It's a little over 2 hour drive each way.  We'd been putting it off but couldn't anymore.

So we left at 9:30am hoping she'd cat nap on the way, had to stop at the store, let her out to play a bit, then I stayed in the front seat for a bit and we covered her to see if she'd nod off. Nope. chatting the whole time, then annoyed we weren't getting out and doing something.  So that was fun. She ate a ton in the car.
Got there ~ noon.
Good visit, lots of running around and talking, investigating :)
Ate / nursed.
~1:50p Got in the car to come home (she was disasterously tired but still trying to stumble around).
*lots* of crying. I tried to stay in the front seat but she was almost hyper ventilating.
Got in back, gave her another food pouch and kept her car seat cover closed half way - passed out snoring while eating :)
Slept for 1.20h
2:10-3:30p
Almost home, pretty good the rest of the way.
We had to go get dinner, very mellow, walked. She walked around the restaurant a bunch and said hi to everyone :)
bath/bottle/bed very fussy, took until 7p

Sat night wakings:
8p, 10p, 1-3am..., 5:45a

last night:
down at 6:30p (we tried early), 9p, 10p, midnight, 4am, 4:45a, 5:15a, then I got her on me down-ish until 7am  she was beat.

She's got tons of teeth activity, pain, so I'm doing meds before bed and meds after midnight.
Last night *horrible* gas on top of it. We'll avoid mashed potatoes for a while I guess!
so diapers fixed, teeth are a disaster and the wonder week app says she's got 6 days left in this leap.
and really bad gas.

We're just going to get through today :(

soooo tired.  she's hilariously happy (delirious). *sigh

I think pushing BT back to 5:30 would be a pretty drastic change.  Aren't you supposed to stay within a 30 min range and between 6-8p is best for most?
I can't finish work before ~4:45p usually so that would be hard to do 5:30p bed.
I already miss most of her during the day since she's napping during my lunch break now.  I want (we all want) what's best and for her to sleep though. 
Let me know what you think for tonight.  If I make it that long...zzzz... :)xx