Author Topic: 10 month old and...seperation anxiety?  (Read 1394 times)

Offline ShayParker

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
10 month old and...seperation anxiety?
« on: October 23, 2015, 05:06:30 am »
My son just turn 10 months old and since about 2 weeks ago he started waking up multiple times a night crying and I can NOT get him back to sleep unless I lay him on my arm in my bed and gently rock him and pat his bottom although sometimes I have to go make a bottle and he does drink it all. I'm worried this is just becoming a habit and I don't know how to break it. I do know seperation anxiety is a part of it because I.can't even put him down to go to the bathroom without him following me crying the whole way to me. And another thing, I've made a boo boo(3 year old daughters term) by letting him sleep in bed with me for abooooout 6 months. XD I am not against co sleeping, I love it actually but I'd like to.get him used to.his crib again but every time I try he quickly stands back up and SCREAMS. I'm very soft hearted and it makes me feel horrible and I admit I've let things go just because I give in. I can't help it, if you saw his dimples you would too. :(  I'm sorry this may be a long post I just have so many sleep issues I may even be forgetting to add something.
1: Wakes up wanting to be rocked/patted/bottle
2: refuses to sleep in his crib no matter what methods I try, and believe me I've tried everything.

Idk if maybe the schedule has anything to do with it, maybe he's over tired because he suddenly dropped his second nap on hos own about a month ago. But the schedule looks somewhat like this
8am-wu
8:15-8Oz bottle
9Am: jar fruit with added cereal
1130ish-8oz bottle
12Pm: nap about 1.5-2hrs.
2-Wu
230-  1/2 jar veggies with 8oz bottle
530-6- fruits and veggies
6- bath time
7- cut lights off letting just the outside light in, hold him rock him, just my usual cool down stuff
8Pm in bed asleep.
Do you think this is an ok schedule or is he over tired? I'm new to this, I tried with my daughter 3 years ago but I was a single first time mom and it got the better of me. Tia and sorry for a really long post.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: 10 month old and...seperation anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 06:03:21 am »
You are right that he might be overtired. 9mo with a one nap is rather rare (happens but with really low sleep needs babies). Secondly his day is 12h which is generally fine but with only one nap I would probably try much shorter day like 11h at this age. His nap is not in the middle of the day as I understand he is ready for his nap after 4h of A, but unfortunately it leaves him with a 6h long A till BT what at that age can definitely perpetuate NWs.

Have you considered going back to 2 naps? If he refused second nap, a good routine to try is shortening first nap and still offering the second one. You can really make a short catnap in the morning like 30min and offer second nap later like at 2pm till 3:30/4:00. Wdyt?
~Marta

Offline ShayParker

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 13:50:49 pm »
I actually have tried getting him to take a nap around two when he has a shorter nap earlier in the day but when I lay him down and get him relaxed he'll start to fall asleep and then just wake up suddenly and be ready to go. I will try adding that second nap in cause I do agree that 6hrs is a long time to go until bedtime. Should I make his day shorter at 11 hrs instead of 12 with the second nap added or if he takes two naps keep it at 12hrs?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 15:03:59 pm »
What was the length of first nap if you say it was shorter?
What time did you tried for second nap the latest?
Have you tried APOPing second nap?

11h days with one nap, and you may also push this nap to 12:30 (to 14:30/15:00), BT at 7pm.
12-13h day if on two nap:)!
~Marta