Author Topic: Alternatives to sandwiches  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Alternatives to sandwiches
« on: October 23, 2015, 16:35:44 pm »
Ds is now on one nap over lunchtime so ends up having most of his lunch early. I try to give it to him as close to nap time as possible so has to be quick and easy to both prepare and eat. He has been having sandwiches quite often but I am worried about the amount of bread he has and so am looking for other options that are just as filling. Ds turns 1 next week x

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Alternatives to sandwiches
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 17:49:43 pm »
This may sound a bit odd but how about just the sandwich filling so no bread, or less bread?  ie just the cheese, or meat slices as finger food? Fish (canned tuna, mackerel for instance) doesn't need to be in a sandwich.
Depending what you make for dinner the night before perhaps you can save a portion for his lunch the following day?  I used to put an extra portion of veggies into the steamer to keep for the next day, or bake some extra veg wedges/chips.
An extra portion of pasta thrown into the pan when cooking dinner works too, either mix it with your sauce and put aside for the next day or take out a portion of pasta before it goes in the sauce and serve the next day cold with whatever you might have put in the sandwich, chunks of cheese, sliced toms, cucumber etc.

If you want to batch cook I used to make lots of veggie and bean pancake/fritter/bean burger type things all in one go and interweave with baking parchment before freezing. Because they are already cooked you can lift a couple out the night before or even in the morning and they are defrosted by lunch and can even be served cold. I used to use drained canned beans (they are pre-cooked, no salt, no sugar) or lentils with left over veggies and just add some flour and an egg, whizz it and fry.

Maybe serve a smaller portion of bread, or crackers if you are worried about the amount of bread?
If you want filling foods then I'd opt for a bit more protein.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 18:18:22 pm »
Olly was dairy, wheat and egg free when he was weaning and so to be honest he had 2 hot meals or similar. I used to make lots of roast veg fingers, esp sweet potato or BN squash - they keep well in the fridge and can be heated. or how about past. That can be eaten cold. When he got a bit older hommous and dips were a staple lunch.  I think others would have omelette or scrambled egg?

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 19:22:03 pm »
I get fed up of sandwiches too. I was really good when DD was younger, I don't do the cooked stuff anymore for lunch as more often than not we're out until lunchtime, unless it's left over from the night before. So, I'd do omelettes, steamed carrot sticks with humous, homemade guacamole, plain yogurt and mint dip, cheese cut into sticks for dipping (can you tell my DD had a dipping craze for a while there?). Sweet tomato as wedges as pp said, these were essential to get through teething periods as she'd eat very little else.

There are some excellent recipes on the blw recipes thread on the solids board. I just worked my way through those. The cheese and broccoli muffins are still a huge hit and freeze well. Mine hated pasta and still does but did try pasta and pesto which was a hit with my friends LO. Hth xx

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 19:38:02 pm »
We often have:
Pate and crackers (Tesco poppy seed ones are lovely) with salad veg and grapes
Houmous with crudités (or pitta)
Wraps with various fillings (still bread but there is less of it)
Jacket potato with tuna, cheese, beans and salad
Leftover pasta with tuna, mayo and sweetcorn
Leftover dinner like spag bol,  lasagne,  Shepherd's pie,
Pizza

Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011