Author Topic: 5 month old refusing naps and need help!  (Read 873 times)

Offline agrod

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 21, 2015, 18:24:49 pm »
Hi all!

I am a second-time mom, and my 5 month old (5 months tomorrow) is having some serious nap issues. Basically, he only wants to sleep for 30 minutes. From reading here, it seems like that means he is overtired. So, I am at the point where I assume I need to nap train.

Yesterday, I tried to follow wake times of no more than 2 hours. He took one great nap, and one 30 min nap. I will paste below the schedule from yesterday:

10/20:
815- wake up
830- eat
1005- nap
1040- wake up
1120- eat
1245- nap
110- wake up
130 - back to sleep
315- wake up
320- eat

Today, it's been this so far

10/21:
630 - woke up to eat and tried to put down for nap (this may be where I ruined it all). He just layed there for a while and finally fell back to sleep around 7:30.
815 - wake up
9/25- eat
1045- nap
1115-  wake up
1140- eat
110- nap
140- wake up

So, as you can see it's nothing but 30 min naps and he is currently in his room crying and I am not sure what to do. I am at a loss if I should just let him CIO right now or what.  :-[

Any suggestions welcome!!

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 5 month old refusing naps and need help!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 18:49:45 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forums  :)

First of all, I want to say that we don't support CIO at all on this site as Tracy believed it broke the bonds of trust between a LO and its caregiver. We're here to find more gentler ways of sleep training. I hope we can help rather than you resorting to that. No, I'm sure we can help, that's a better word!

For some yes, a 30mins nap can be OT but I'm actually thinking yours might be UT based on your routine hun. 2hr A time is a good starting point but actually more suitable for around a 4mo if you see here Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

I think we need to be looking at closer to 2.5hrs considering he took a better nap after a 2hr A time after a short nap where normally we'd look at reducing the A time slightly after a short nap.

I would extend to 2hrs 15mims and hold for a couple of days and see if that helps with that first nap. It might not at first, but we will get there ok? We'll just take it nice and slowly until we find the right A time for him. If we jump it too quickly then he may get OT and we won't see it until it's too late.

Do you want to try that tomorrow morning and let me know how it goes? Then we can take it from there. ((Hugs)) in the meantime, short naps are the pits. My DD short napped for months until we sorted it out with help on here. At least you're getting one good nap so far so you know he is capable  ;) xx
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 18:52:23 pm by Kellyjs »

Offline agrod

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 20:32:24 pm »
Ok, thank you!

Yes, I will try extending the A time to see if maybe that will help. Although, I have been following his cues and typically put him down when he starts running his eyes.

Tomorrow is another day!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 06:29:07 am »
Today is a new day! Good luck with it and keep me posted. Remember he may show sleepy cues, but that can be learned behaviour. Doing something low-key like reading a book or a change of scenery can help xx

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 19:52:31 pm »
How's everything going hun? Xx