Author Topic: one nap but broken  (Read 1420 times)

Offline gejun

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 26, 2015, 06:33:39 am »
Ds will be 14months next week, with the help of  ladies here, we are on consistent one nap for one week by set nap and set BT.night are becoming better too.Thanks so much to Kate and Martti.
Now we are on routine:
WU 5:30
nap 11:30·13:00
BT 18:30

he settled both quickly at nap and BT, but nap always was broken, mostly woke and cried at 1h15mins, I had to walked around and rocked him to sleep in my arms for another 15mins, he only slept total 1h30mins even in my arms, he was over 11lbs, rocking him for 15min is really hard work.
I think he is slightly OT for one nap days are still new for him, should I stick to nap time or try slightly nap time like 11:15am? I worry about UT nap too.
I had thought shift the whole routine 30mins cos wu5:30 is too early in winter when he settled on one nap for over two weeks, but now I don't know when his nap will be solid 1h30mins, is broken nap normal at first weeks of one nap day?
he woke at nap unhappy and slightly OT at BT, I thought that is for broken nap.
I also need advice of shifting whole routine 30mins, pushing nap firstly 15mins?

Offline gejun

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 09:53:59 am »
yesterday he had a great sleep through , total 11hr night, today woke at 5:35, only a short cry at 5:20,  he still woke at 1h15mins,  he wanted to be asleep again unlike before  it's hard to resettled , maybe he need more A after a good night?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: one nap but broken
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 21:31:28 pm »
Hi
Have you tried a W2S on that nap?
Either a little nudge or stroke at around 1hr to start a new sleep cycle (don't fully wake him) or to creep into the room at around 1hr 10 and be ready with your hand just above him to being soothing the moment he stirs and continue until he nods off again.  When I say to sooth I mean with pat, stroke or slight rock with a firm hand or whatever helps him nod off but without picking up (sounds to me like a little rocking in the cot would be a good one to try if he likes being rocked in arms).

When mine moved to 1 nap I had to W2S every 20 mins or he'd wake a scream and be awake too long.  With the W2S I got it down to a super fast 2 mins in the room, I went in at 19 mins stayed until 21 mins and he was already off into his next 20 min sleep. Prior to dropping to one nap mine did a great 2 hr first nap which I had thought we could retain when he refused the second nap, unfortunately the OT had him waking every 20 mins, but I just kept on going in until the 2 hrs was up and eventually he started to do the nap alone again.

You could try a slightly later nap and see if that help him transition too - as you want to move the day on to make later WU and later BT it would basically be the same thing moving nap later and seeing how long you can keep him sleeping then work out BT from there.

Offline gejun

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 23:32:35 pm »
Thanks Creations, today he woke up later as 6:00am, I will try a later nap time.
I tried w2s only once, but failed, maybe I touched him too gently.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: one nap but broken
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 07:56:20 am »
The 'disturb' type of W2S didn't work so well for me, not in a way I could work with anyway (I did do a little W2S at night before my BT which might well have helped night sleep a bit but I couldn't do it for naps).

How about trying the other method, of helping right through the transition?