Author Topic: Advice for travelling with 14mo - 12hr flight and 7hr time difference  (Read 1300 times)

Offline ana.vesterinen

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hiiiii!!! Iam very happy to report that we are getting to 1 long nap :) slowly but succesfully! Now our baby sleeps 20 min in the morning (9.15- 9.35am) and has a long pm nap (from 12.50-3pm) :) sometimes even 3hrs but normally 1.5-2hrs which is awesome!!! thanks so very much for the advice, it was really helpful!! I will continue shortening the morning nap until it disappears, however, for the time being I'll go slowly as my 14 month old baby seems to still need to sleep in the morning ;)

Today I have something else I would like to talk about...I would very much like to ask if someone has some advice on travelling with 14 month old babies and jetlag ... next saturday we will take a flight which lasts 12 hrs  :o we live in Europe and we are flying to Mexico to visit my family!! The trip lasts ages though (Lol) and takes a total of 15hrs ... tiring, I know. The first time we travelled there, she was 2months old and it was not too bad even without having a routine... this time she is 14 months old (with a very nice routine) and Iam really nervous! I have been preparing for this trip since two months ago, I have lots of funny toys and common things to distract her on the plane, I bought a fleeze suit for the cold on the plane and have prepared a "sleeping kit" including the items she sleeps with, basically her lovey blanket and her tine sheep, I even have a roll on with special fragrances to relax... but still Iam quite anxious... I have to say that we almost always travel alone, so you can imagine how difficult it can be, specially when you need badly to go to the toilet :p last time a very nice Australian passenger help me watch over her for 5 mins, so I could go to the toilet, hopefully this time, I find someone nice too!

Anyway, does anyone know how to deal with 7 hrs difference? We will be arriving in Mexico at 5pm local time, 12pm Europe time! I have been thinking a lot on what to do.. but I havent found the perfect solution... I thought on going with the flow, offering a small snack when we arrive and then at 7.00pm tops (Mexico's time) put her in bed again and see how it goes for her. I hope she is not over tired and I will certainly try my very best to help her nap on the plane (for we are taking a morning flight!). Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated  ;)

Offline Mama2boys

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 247
Re: Advice for travelling with 14mo - 12hr flight and 7hr time difference
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 14:18:59 pm »
your plan sounds perfect.
I travel  lot with the kids and I handle the time difference by trying to localize asap. I use small snacks and naps as fillers, and try and get them on the right eating routine and that always helps with falling into the right sleeping routine as well.
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline ana.vesterinen

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Advice for travelling with 14mo - 12hr flight and 7hr time difference
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 19:16:51 pm »
Great!! thanks so much for the advice ;)