Author Topic: Night Waking in ten month old please help!  (Read 1342 times)

Offline MrsP83

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Night Waking in ten month old please help!
« on: October 27, 2015, 20:05:58 pm »
Hi I am new to this forum and would appreciate some help/advice please. Our ten month old was a prefect sleeper, sleeping through from eight weeks (8pm - 8am) until she hit six months old. We had two holidays (a week long each) within three weeks of each other and she got her first tooth. She started waking at night and it's like we have never recovered from it. She goes to sleep great at 7pm and wakes up between 7-7:30am however she will often wake up at night. It can be any time between 10pm and 5am when she wakes and can be anywhere between one waking and five wakings. When I go into her she will be standing up in her cot crying, if I pick her up and cuddle her she will stop crying I then put her down and she goes back to sleep (most of the time). I really want to tackle this before she turns one in December and I want to get her back to the great sleeper she used to be. We do get the occasional night where she sleeps through. There isn't a pattern to her wakings and other than when she was ill (ear infection last month) or when she is teething (she now has six teeth) we can't see a reason for her waking up. She has a white noise machine which we used to set to play just when she cried - it would play for ten minutes. However she started to wake up every time it went off so we now have it set to play constantly. I have tried to do controlled crying but neither me or my husband feel comfortable with it and we never see it through. I have read the baby whisperer book today as I found it useful to get my daughter into a routine initially and we are going to try PU/PD tonight if she wakes up. I just need to hear from anyone else who has had a similar situation and who can hopefully give me some hope that it will get better if we stick to the PU/PD. Any success stories to keep us motivated would be great please! Also if from what I have said anybody can give me their view on why she is waking up I would appreciate that too. Thank you in advance.

Offline Emami

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: Night Waking in ten month old please help!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 06:15:10 am »
Hi there! Unfortunately there are many reasons she might be waking up - teeth, developmental, separation anxiety, routine etc. What does her day look like, maybe there is something there that could be changed to help nights? Have you tried meds at BT to rule out teething pain?

Hopefully since she has been a good sleeper this is just a bump in the road and she'll get back to it.  Do you think you've become a prop for her and she needs that cuddle from you to go back to sleep? If so then PUPD should work as at her age you don't really pick them up any more, it's mostly comforting in the cot and using your voice. So you are still there with her and reassuring her but it would break the habit of her expecting to be held. I'm glad you did not pursue CC - you won't find anyone here will encourage CC or CIO as there are much gentler ways that maintain trust and security for your baby :) I would also keep the white noise, I use it for both of my two and don't have to worry about them waking each other, general household noise etc.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 06:16:54 am by Emami »
Emma

Offline MrsP83

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 11:35:54 am »
Hi Emami

Thank you so much for your message. I think separation anxiety could be the cause because she cries whenever she isn't with me at the minute - I'm a stay at home mum. She has always been left with her grandparents since she was a newborn and apparently is fine as soon as I've gone but even at home she will cry if I go into the kitchen to get her a drink. I have been told it's just a phase - I hope it is!
Her day usually looks like this - wakes about 7.30, bottle and weetabix with milk for breakfast, we play and then a nap from 9.30ish, her naps are hit and miss anything from 45mins to 1.5 hours. Snack when she wakes up, more play/story/go out for a walk, lunch about 12.30, nap about 1.30 again anywhere between 45mins to 2 hours. Wake up and has a snack then more play or a walk (depending what we did in the morning) tea about 5, quite play and stories after tea then bath about 6.20 bottle and then bed at 7pm.
Yesterday after reading the baby whisperer in the morning, I kept her awake a bit longer in the morning so she napped from 10am for an hour and a half. She had her lunch at 1pm then napped 2.20pm to 4.10pm! She went to bed great at 7pm.
Last night we had three wake ups - 9pm but she went back to sleep herself before I got up the stairs to her so that was good. 1am - I did PU/PD for 40 mins and then she went off to sleep. And 5am I did PU/PD once and she went back to sleep.
I'm not sure if I did the PU/PD right for her age? I laid her down when she was crying and standing up and put my hand on her back when I could - she was very wound up so pushed me away a few times so I took my hand away then and just stood next to her cot talking gently and saying it was sleep time. When she was getting tired of standing up but was still crying sitting in her cot I picked her up and held her for a second until she calmed down and then laid her back down in her cot and kept repeating this, is this right?
I am worried about today as we had an appointment this morning and nobody to look after her so she came with us and couldn't sleep in her pram so missed her nap. Her grandma is having her for the rest of the day as I am ill with flu. I am still going to do the PU/PD tonight but just hope she naps enough today.
Her morning nap is probably the most irregular part of her day because there is a group on a Tuesday at 10am which we go to and my little girl loves it so I don't want to stop going. She usually either misses her morning nap on this day or has a short nap. She does usually sleep for longer in the afternoon.
I agree with you that I think that I have become a prop for her to go back to sleep because she will go straight back to sleep after our cuddle, she just chews on her snugly rabbit and goes to sleep. We were giving her ibuprofen at bed time for the teething pain but i got worried that she was having it too often so now we just give it when she seems distressed with her teeth in the night but I don't know if this is the best thing to do either? We are confused and just want to do what is best for our little girl. As you can probably guess she is our first!
Thanks again for your help and sorry for the long reply!

Offline Emami

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 20:43:30 pm »
Ok, so I hink your PUPD method seems about right, although I have to admit I've never used PUPD with my two.  I'm going off this - How to PU/PD (inc age adaptations)

However, you might be able to sort the NWs and not need PUPD if we can sort her day out.  At the moment I think she is on a routine that would be more suitable for a younger baby.  Her first A time is super short - at 10 months you would usually expect a LO to handle 3.5 - 4hrs.  I wouldn't suggest jumping that far in one go as she's not used to it, but I would start stretching her out in the morning. You likely won't have time to fit 2 good naps into the day and still stick to a 7pm BT, so you'll probably end up with one solid nap and a CN.  Whether you want to do long am short pm or the other way around depends on what your LO prefers and/or what suits you better.  I think you're at the start of the 2-1 transition, which always makes sleep go wonky. Hopefully once she's on an age appropriate routine her nights will settle back down.  Lots of good information here! From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 20:47:02 pm by Emami »
Emma

Offline MrsP83

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 21:01:26 pm »
Hi Emma that makes sense actually. Thank you for that. I will do the PU/PD if she wakes at night in the meantime but will try to push back her morning nap bit by bit. xx

Offline MrsP83

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 08:47:02 am »
Yesterday I moved her morning nap back and she was great in the day but last night was awful...
7.00 woke up
10.20 nap
11.30 woke up
12.45 lunch
14.30 nap
15.50 woke up
17.15 tea
18.15 snack, bath, bottle
18.50 bed and straight to sleep
Night wakings - 19.58 PU/PD by dad back to sleep by 20.01
21.00 - woke up sounded in discomfort, gave calpol.
22.00 full on tantrum for approx half an hour. Banging head on cot, jumping up and down, etc!! Switched between mum and dad but persevered with PU/PD.
Cried on and off until 23.35. At 23.25 mum went in and picked up and gave cuddle for a couple of mins 🙈
03.35 - 03.47 cried. Mum went in have cuddle and tried to put down several times. Each time she cried. Left a few mins and tried to comfort in cot before picking up again. Put her down awake but calm at 03.47
What are we doing wrong???

Offline Emami

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 10:52:14 am »
Oh dear :( How did the rest of the night go?

Frequent wakings like that I would think are discomfort. Have you tried giving her calpol at BT? It might prevent her waking rather than waiting until she's already up.

The only thing I think you're doing wrong is switching between mum and dad. Your actual PD seems fine, and only picking her up if she's really upset. But Tracy said that if you go back and forth with a different parent going in it disrupts the consistency so is like starting the process again each time someone goes in. It doesn't mean it has to be just you or just DH forever more. You can do one night and he does the next, but whoever starts the process each night has to finish it. I hope tonight is better for you.
Emma

Offline MrsP83

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 10:57:28 am »
Thank you I will try that and continue to keep a track for the next few days. The wake ups on there were everything last night. She slept until 7.40 this morning. She doesn't have a problem going to sleep at all or with early wakings, it is the night wakings that are the problem. We are going out tonight (we cant cancel unfortunately) so her grandma will be putting her to bed. We are not holding out much hope for tonight but planning to continue on Saturday. Thanks again x