Author Topic: 15 month old 1 Nap  (Read 3546 times)

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
15 month old 1 Nap
« on: October 28, 2015, 04:46:23 am »
hey all!! Just wanted a little advice on my dd's new 1 nap routine.
It is week 2...I was doing a 15-20 min cApped MN for a month or so prior, but she started taking ages to settle for AN and was waking at 5.30am.
She still does usually wake up at 5.30. So need some advice
Nap isn't a consistant length yet. Sometimes 1.20mins, sometimes 2hours. So it makes it hard in the afternoons.
She settles very quickly at the 5 hour mark.

Today went like this

WU - 6
Nap - 11-12.30
BT - 5.45 😁😁 I couldn't hold her out any longer.afraid this is too early and she'll keep waking early.

Any advice ?
She often wakes at the 1hr10min mark and cries out for a few seconds then resettles.
Some days at the 1.5hr mark then goes on to sleep another 30mins.

Self settling is a lot better now that we're not struggling for two naps !! So that's a positive! Thanks so much in advance 😊😊

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 15 month old 1 Nap
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 07:50:46 am »
Ekkk we've had OT cry outs at 30mins, then twice again after that once being put down for the night. Think these under 2hour naps are catching up with her and making her OT 😁😁

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 02:19:29 am »
Anyone ? She woke every hour and a half last night. Although she had a blocked snotty nose.
Did a capped 15 min nap at 9.. Then she still only slept 1hr20. Couldn't resettle tried for an hour. So weird considering she pretty much had no proper sleep last night.

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 07:27:33 am »
Hey Lauraims that sounds rough!  When you were doing the cn and longer 2nd nap, what times were you doing?  Do you think your lo may still need them both but just tweaking the times?

Anything else going on?  Teeth, language?

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 22:13:39 pm »
(((Hugs))) that sounds tough

It does sound like more than just ot all those nws. How is her nose/cold?

Like pp said, maybe stick with a short Cn + longer nap for a while longer, or at least while she's waking at night so much?  Another option would be to alternate or just do 1 nap days after a good night.

What do you think?

It's hard to tell tho when there could be illness or something else going on.

Would she last any longer for her nap on 1-nap days? Just so A time to bt isn't so long. You might get a longer nap too,
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 23:13:50 pm »
Thanks for the replies !! Hmmm no I'm pretty sure she's ready for 1 nap. On the nights that she has had one nap, even if it is only 1.5 hours, she sleeps better, well sleeps through until 5.30.. So about 11.5hours. She doesn't ss as easily when I do the two naps either. Definitely have to APOP first one but second is a battle and then she doesn't sleep the full 1.5 so I don't know.
I could try hold her out a bit longer in the morning. She's fine until she's layed down. But settles very fast. What sort of a time would be Appropriate? Try 5.5 or 6hrs?
Yeah last night was a bit better, it is definitely her blocked nose making it hard for her to sleep 😣 hope it goes away soon

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 03:01:20 am »
Yeah my lo showed the same signs when the cn needed to go.  Why don't you aim for 11:30? 

For the first couple of days my lo didn't make it which made for an interesting afternoon but I did a 5:30 bedtime which sorted her out.  We now are pretty consistent and it works out to be 5.5-6.5 A in the morning and with a 90 minute nap a 5.5 A in the afternoon.  I'm at a point now that even with a couple of shocking nights and ew the nap stays at 11:30.  The only think I play around with still is her bt.  If she sleeps less than 90 minutes I do ebt about 15-20 mins earlier than normal and that seems to stop the ot blipping in the early part of the evening.

Offline cath~

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 08:32:17 am »
I could try hold her out a bit longer in the morning. She's fine until she's layed down. But settles very fast. What sort of a time would be Appropriate? Try 5.5 or 6hrs?

Maybe push her to 5hr15 mins A time for a couple of days, then move to 5hr30 (so nap at 11.30) and see how that works out.  If it's OK, maybe pause there for a bit.  If it seems she could last longer in the morning and the pm A time is still a bit long for her, then try pushing it further.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 05:58:48 am »
Thanks hun. Will try that. Yesterday she was kept up 5hrs30 and she slept 1hr20 woke and cried for 1 min then woke up at 2hr20mins.
So we will see how this week goes ! Will let you know

Offline cath~

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 07:34:32 am »
Sounds like a good start :)

Keep us posted x
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline FroggyMom

• Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 02:39:58 am »
Hey lauraims,

Just wanted to pop on and say hi!  We have talked in the past as our DD's are the same age and usually up to the same thing...haha!  You seem to be doing a bit better than we are at my house right now though.  DD is usually only napping about 45 min on average for her 1 nap....and waking between 5-5:30 am no matter what time I put her to bed!  I just started a new thread today as I feel DD is getting so OT and so am I!!!  Ha!  Wanted to offer you a hand to hold as I'm going through the same thing...and follow along!

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 06:16:54 am »
Hey there Froggymom! Yes our dd's are the sAme age aren't they !
We've been doing ok lately. As I said earlier the two nap with one early catnap worked really well for a while.
Actually today I kept her up for 5hrs45mins and she slept 2hrs15mins straight through with no wakeups ! Which is amazing as she'll often wake once through the nap!
So going to try that for a while and see how thAt goes. I suppose you've tried that A time ?
Hugs 💛

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 23:54:57 pm »
Hi again ! So things were going ok for a bit, with 5hrs45mins A time. Then a 2 hour nap. We had bedtime meltdowns though. So Wu from nap at 1.30 put down for Bt at 6.. But would get so upset and not settle till 6.30/6.45. Then the NW's started happening again, and now the nap has shortened to 1hr10mins and she won't resettle 😣😣😣 I thought moving to one nap wS meant to make things easier 😁

Offline cath~

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 13:22:15 pm »
o Wu from nap at 1.30 put down for Bt at 6..

so you were putting her down after 4hr30 A time in the afternoon?

Since she's managing 5hr45 in the morning and is (was) doing a 2hr nap, I wonder if she needs more A time in the afternoon as well.  Have you tried putting her down later to see if that helps? 

Although now she's napping for less than 2hrs, what A time are you trying in the afternoon, and has BT improved at all?

Could the NWs and shorter naps be due to teething do you think?

How does she cope in the mornings with that A time?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 22:32:28 pm »
Thanks for the reply 😊 yup after 4hrs30 was just being aware of her Total wake time. But not too sure what that should be around 15/16 months?
I was going to try putting her down later but then the short naps started.
I've been putting her down at 5.30 to be asleep
Around 6 on the shorter nap days. Sometimes she cries a bit but not for long. And last night she didn't cry at all and just went straight to sleep. I guess as she was so tired. We then had a nw at 3.30am and it took her an hour to go back to sleep. She's 100% ready to go down for her nap. She's out within 10mins and doesn't perform or cry.

She is cutting a tooth at the moment. I think it's through now. She only has 4 upper and 2 lower, but getting the next two lower at the moment so I guess that could be contributing.

Yesterday I left her in her cot for 45mins after she woke at 1hr15 mins. She tried to go back to sleep, but then just ends up crying?!!

Just put her down now for nap so will see how that goes today

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 00:20:28 am »
1hr20 this time 😕 goodness knows. But she won't take a catnap either

Offline cath~

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 08:58:30 am »
Ah, does sound like teeth are the main issue then.

At this age I prob wouldn't bother with a CN (unless lo is ill and really sleepy) but do slightly EBT instead, like  you're doing.

As they got older I found with both my los it would usually take them longer to nod off at BT than nap time.  It was like at BT they needed more time to process the day first, but for naps they could just switch off.

I'd go with the flow for a bit whilst she's teething, but once she's over that and (hopefully!) taking longer naps again, you prob need to push that A time to BT to avoid getting BT resistance.

Hth x
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 16:41:44 pm »
Thanks hun. I hate teeth !!! She was awake every 2 hours lastnight 😩😩