Author Topic: Night feed by bottle  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Jules77

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Night feed by bottle
« on: October 28, 2015, 08:58:00 am »
Hi,

DS2 is now 11 weeks old. I'm in the process for switching from Bf to FF so I can potentially take medication.

All feeds have been switched over apart from first thing, bedtime and night time. We usually have one night feed between 4-6.

The night feed is in theory the next one for me to drop, so last night I gave formula at 4.45am.

During the day LO usually takes between 4-5oz over 20-30 mins. I use a Nuk bottle with a medium flow teat.

For this first night feed he took 4oz in about 5 mins! Is this normal? I sat him up to wind and then put down into basket (eyes open) and went back to bed. I have no idea if he went back to sleep or not, although as no crying I guess he must have done.... He was quite noisy though regularly making little grunts etc.

How do you normally go about a night feed? Is it usual to be this quick, should I use a slower teat?

When giving the feed I tried to hold him at a similar angle to the one he would be at if breast feeding as I thought he might drop back to sleep as he does when breast fed at this time.

I'm anxious about disrupting his sleep so want this feed to be as calm as possible. 

Any thoughts appreciated.

Jules
Mummy to:

Elliot Ronald - 9th May 2012
Leo Ross - 12th August 2015

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Night feed by bottle
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 22:17:32 pm »
Some babies do feed quicker in the night, probably because there is less going on to be interested in! If they don't bring it all back up after a feed it's fine - mine were downing 8oz bottles in about that time by about 4 months.

I would carry on as you are for a few nights, if you find that wind is a problem you could try a slower that but that can make then take more air in as they need to work harder, it a bit trial and error I'm afraid :-\

Laura

Offline Jules77

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Night feed by bottle
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 08:08:58 am »
Thanks Laura, much appreciated.
Mummy to:

Elliot Ronald - 9th May 2012
Leo Ross - 12th August 2015