Author Topic: NWs since forever... any ideas?  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Emami

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
NWs since forever... any ideas?
« on: October 28, 2015, 23:47:25 pm »
Annabel is a well documented bad night sleeper!  I am posting here since she is almost 1, and given that she has been NWing for months I would probably end up moving the thread over here in a couple of weeks anyway.

She does STTN sometimes but generally with a WU of 5:30ish which is bearable but not ideal. Most night she has one NW, which wouldn't be so bad except it is nearly always 2hrs long. The times vary but she usually wakes after midnight.

Obviously I would love for her not to wake up, but since  it's still happening I'm more looking for a way to handle them, or if anyone has any ideas how to at least get her back to sleep quicker. What usually happens is that she wakes up and will fuss / mantra cry for a while and then go quiet for a few minutes. Repeat repeat repeat.  Since she seems like she's settling herself I hold off on going in but she keeps starting up again. I am reluctant to go in because then what happens is she goes quiet and seems like she's asleep but when I leave she goes nuts. She never screams until after I've intervened so I try to stay out, but if I don't go in I'm just sitting there listening to her cry on and off for hours  :( I don't know why she wakes, what she wants, or why she can't go back to sleep. She is an IS, has no props, and it doesn't seem to make any difference what her day has been like. So basically I'm spending 2hrs most nights either listening to her cry and wondering whether to go in (to be clear this is obviously not CIO, she is fussing but I end up feeling bad that it goes on for so long), or trapped in her room wondering whether I can leave!  I also don't know what it is about the 2hr mark that that is nearly always the point at which she goes back to sleep. Not sure if I'm missing something in a sleep deprived haze, or if she really is just a night time mystery.  I'm sure I've missed out a load of relevant details, but she's awake right now and I'm tired  :-\
Emma

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: NWs since forever... any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 07:16:07 am »
What's her day like Hun?
Zoe

Offline Emami

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 08:15:09 am »
During the school week we've been fairly settled with this:
WU 5:30/6
Nap 9-9:30 (in car coming home from school run)
Nap 12:30-2
BT 6:30

On weekends I've been trying to play it by ear a bit more since we don't have school runs and I don't want DD1 to miss out on things because of naps.  I know the weekend isn't really long enough to figure out what else might work for her, but she's had some one nap days, some bad naps and some great naps and she handles it all fine. But I can't figure out if any of it has an effect on nights
Emma

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 13:15:59 pm »
Have you ever tried a string of one nap days? Has she been a decent napper all along? Just thinking that if she is having long, drawn out nw's maybe they are ut. When we had good naps we got lots of nw/ew and when we cut them we got better nights. How does she handle the last A to bed? (I notice it is a lot longer, but then my two youngest liked a long A to bed too).
Heidi

Offline Emami

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 11:00:59 am »
She used to be an awful napper when she was younger, but they've been decent for months now. I haven't tried a strong of one nap days because she's often up so early. The one nap days have been when she's woken later (usually because she's been up during the night). I don't think I could get her to a good nap time from a 5:30 WU.

She is fine with the longer A to bed. She's always been able to do a longer later A time.  I just can't see any pattern to the NWs to know if there's anything I could do to help. I was kind of resigned to just riding it out, but they've been going on for so long now I just need sleeeeeep.
Emma

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 12:31:26 pm »
Thomas doesn't always wake, but when he does he is usually up for 1-2 hrs. I can't work it out either!!

I doesn't appear to be either routine or teething related here either. I guess developmental.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 12:55:04 pm »
If be inclined to try a few one naps days, or even with a 10 mins micro catnap.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 13:42:02 pm »
If be inclined to try a few one naps days, or even with a 10 mins micro catnap.

I agree, just to see if it helps! Althouh yeah if developmental not much you can do about that.
Heidi

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 14:21:36 pm »
I was kind of resigned to just riding it out, but they've been going on for so long now I just need sleeeeeep.
I'd venture to say that riding it out might be the only thing you can do.  My DS woke at 5:30am every day until he was 2 and had NWs and didn't STTN until he was over a year old.  It was just the way things were...no amount of tweaking did anything to change it unfortunately.