Author Topic: WIWO HELP WITH 12 month old  (Read 1607 times)

Offline LRS431

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 29, 2015, 02:31:11 am »
Hi lovely people,
I'm after some support as I help my 12 month old DD sleep better. She can sleep independently and settles herself at bedtime and most nap times. However my problem is during the night she relies on nursing to resettle. Up until 2 days ago I was doing a dream feed at 10, if I didn't do this she would wake around 10.30 for it. Then she wakes and nurses again around 2am and then at 5.30am she comes into bed with me and nurses/sleeps until 7. Now I know that I am the problem as I'm the one nursing her at night and bringing her to my bed.

I decided to used WIWO as I used it with another child with great success (although he was older) and my daughter does not respond well with me in the room, she takes a lot longer to settle. I started two nights ago deciding to work on getting rid of the dream feed first. WIWO did not take long and when she woke around 10.30 it only took 15 mins and she settled back until midnight when she woke at midnight I fed her. Last night she also woke at midnight, I fed her and then she woke at 2.30, I did WIWO for an hour, she was not too upset and would settled for 10 mins then wake. At 3.30 she settled until 5am where I took her into bed.

I guess I'm wondering if I'm confusing her bu giving some feeds and not others! Should I just cut all feeds? She eats well during the day but has most of her milk in the night. Also, I guess I need to stop taking her to bed at 5am? This will be hard as we have done it for a long time. Should I just do WIWO at that time until she either settles or 7am comes and it's time to get up?

Day schedule is also a bit rocky, it can be either of these

7am wake up
8am breakfast
10am nap, 30 mins, she won't sleep longer and sometimes is hard to get down
12.00 lunch then small breastfeed
1pm nap, 1.5 hours ish
4.30 tea
6.30 bed

OR

7am wake
8.00 breakfast
11.00 lunch
12.00 nap 1.5 hours
1.30 breastfeed
4.30 dinner
6pm sleep

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: WIWO HELP WITH 12 month old
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 07:25:26 am »
Hi there, do you think maybe she could be UT as if she's going to bed at 6/6.30 with naps in the day her day is quite short! Most (not all) would be doing a 12.5/13 hour day with good naps. Also could be start of 2-1 transition with some days being 1 nap.

Personally I'd be cutting the night feeds totally, if she's a good eater then try and incorporate milk into daytime...so milky puddings, sauces etc. Offer a BT feed and then nothing, that's just me though and it's of course up to u.

U may have become her prop but with such long NW where LO isn't massively upset would suggest UT or developmental stuff going on.

Have u tried just using your voice from outside the room to resettle?
Zoe

Offline LRS431

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 23:43:20 pm »
Thank you for your reply. The last few nights she has been waking every 2 - 3 hours and nursing to get back to sleep. Feels like I have a newborn, not a nearly one year old! I have evidence to cut out all night feedings. I'm pretty sure the first few nights I will be doing WIWO all night! Feeling nervous

Was also wondering if I should use WIWO to extend naps. Since she was 4 months old she has done horrible 30 minute naps. We have tried everything including extending and shortening her awake time. Recently I have been able to resettle her during her afternoon nap, when she wakes I pat her bottom and she will usually resettle for another 30 minutes. Occasionally after that I can resettle her for a further 30 but not always.  I have never been able to resettle her after her morning 30 minutes. Should I use WIWO when she wakes from these short  naps?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 00:11:32 am by LRS431 »

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: WIWO HELP WITH 12 month old
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 12:50:01 pm »
Another thought, any teeth coming through?

If your going to stop night feeds it will be tough for a few days as she uses u to get back to sleep and for comfort. Keep positive and give it a week as things can get worse before they get better.

You could try it with naps or push nap 10 mins later see if she's a bit more tired that way x
Zoe