Author Topic: Trying to drop dreamfeed and now early waking  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Vking

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Trying to drop dreamfeed and now early waking
« on: October 29, 2015, 20:34:34 pm »
We got down to 2oz at 930 and we had to wake up DD at 715AM. So I quit the dreamfeed and added the 2 ounces to her before bed feed at 8  (5+2= 7 before bed). She acted so hungry night 1 and woke at 6AM and nursed a whole meal, that night 2 I gave her 8oz. Before bed. She woke at 6 again, nursed and then wanted to Hang out, which I did NOT want to do, but she wouldn't go back to sleep.

She's 7monhs, 10days, eating 3 meals a day with (egg yolk, avocado, sweet potato, apples, carrots, plums and now chicken).

Do I resume the DF? Or is it a growth spurt? We are also putting the kids to bed a bit later every day to prepare for daylight savings on Sunday.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 20:37:30 pm by Vking »

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: Trying to drop dreamfeed and now early waking
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 13:25:45 pm »
Hey just wondered what made you decide to quite the dream feed? It's not so unusual to keep it up a little longer. Iiwm, I'd probably reinstate it until she's settled after the clocks change, as it's possible she may be getting a little OT from the later BTs and waking early due to that, but you won't really know which is the cause with both going on at once. What do you think?

Offline Vking

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 20:20:12 pm »
BESAYP suggested 7-8 months or when solids are established. Plus our pediatrician thought she was too old for it. We did the 2 ounces DF last night and she woke at 616- the habit of the previous 2 nights- but went back to sleep for almost an hour. Sooo I wonder if drop DF and do wake to sleep at 515 it will work? She has also been crying at 930PM- her DF time, so the DF is a habit too .... Not sure which lion to address/ tame first

Offline trimbler

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 19:50:33 pm »
Well, it may be just habit or it may be hunger, whilst Tracey did give guidelines every LO is different so I wouldn't worry about keeping it longer. Fwiw both mine had it until 9-10mo and were fine dropping it. Also you have the clock change going on so I really would wait at least until you're established on the new time and then have another go - or keep it a few more weeks, the solids usually take a while to get fully established and some would say that the milk is most important until 12mo, whilst of course other LOs make the switch to solids as their primary source of nutrition earlier than this. I guess I'd just say if you're in any doubt as to whether she still needs it, there's no harm in waiting a little longer to drop it. Just my opinion :-*

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 08:51:30 am »
I noticed in your first post you said she nursed a whole feed, just wondering if you are giving expressed breast milk in the bottle or combination feeding with formula and nursing too?  It's totally normal for a breast fed baby to still have a night feed or even two at this age, where as often a formula fed baby will have 1 or be ready to drop it.

So, at the DF time when she wakes crying are you feeding her the 2 oz again or have you stopped all together on that?
Did she take the additional 2oz you put in her BT feed?  Is she draining any day time bottles?  Would yo like to post your feed routine for use to have a look at (milk and solid feed times throughout the day/night)?

Offline trimbler

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 22:49:49 pm »
Ok can I suggest (on creation's advice ;) ) that we move our discussion to Vking's other thread here Trying to drop dreamfeed as it's more relevant to that board? I may try and move the previous posts over there too...please bear with me :P