Author Topic: How to settle newborn through the night?  (Read 1246 times)

Offline lyssie28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to settle newborn through the night?
« on: October 31, 2015, 16:52:25 pm »
Hi my little one is just over 2 weeks old and every night around 3-4am she wakes for a second night feed and most of the time she needs a nappy change too.  A lot of the time she won't settle again for 2-3 hours and every time we put her down she will fuss and start crying and we have to pick her up again.  She settles back down fine after her first nf. How can we settle her? I wouldn't mind as much but we also have a 2 year old whose wake up time is 6.30 so we get no sleep past 3am 😔
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 16:54:15 pm by lyssie28 »

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: How to settle newborn through the night?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 16:57:10 pm »
Are you changing her nappy before or after her feed? 

Offline lyssie28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 17:25:13 pm »
I do the nappy change first if she has a dirty nappy or she won't feed.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 18:33:03 pm »
Perhaps the cot is getting cold when you are feeding her and she notices the temperature change when you put her back in?  I used a little hot water bottle for my DS, prepared before I got him up, popped into the cot, then removed before I lay him back down. Not too hot, you don't want it too cosy in there!  it did help him settle.

Also have you looked at Harvey Karps 5 Ss, it's an extra S to Tracy's 4 Ss...it's like magic on new borns. Works very well with Tracy's BW ethos and methods too. Only real difference is the side hold and rocking which can be reduced down to a tiny movement and replaced by patting as baby gets a bit older.  I first saw it on Richard and Judy (remember the show?) years before DS was born, the memory stuck with me. You can find a video on-line if you are interested. (I never read his Happiest Baby book, just used this method from memory).