Author Topic: Baby waking to be fed an hour before wake up time  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Aria2010

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Baby waking to be fed an hour before wake up time
« on: November 02, 2015, 07:03:33 am »
I'm trying to stick to a routine of getting up with LO about 7am and following the baby whisperer EASY routine. It's working well but I frequently find my LO wakes between 5.30-6.00am for a feed and it's throwing me off. I feed him but then he wants to go back to sleep (fair enough - so do I!) and will then wake at gone 9am. I then struggle to get all his day feeds in during the day which can mean he doesn't go as long at night. What do you do if your baby wakes close (but not close enough!) to wake up time? I don't really want to start my day at 5.30am but then starting it at 9am is too late too! Do you wake your baby up at the wake up time? If so, how do I keep to the EASY routine? I'd have to feed him again only an hour after his last feed. Any help appreciated!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Baby waking to be fed an hour before wake up time
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 11:39:28 am »
I see from your other posts that he is about 3mo so I wouldn't worry about trying to get that 5am feed in the day. You can still count it toward the milk he takes of course so he isn't losing out in a feed by having it. I'd just offer a feed next time he wakes.

Some babies do just like a long night when young but what time is he in bed for the night?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Aria2010

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 12:44:39 pm »
Thanks for the reply 😊. Because he has reflux I feed him after his bath so he has his bath at 7pm and then his feed at about 7.15pm. I usually manage to express enough in the day to give him this feed in a bottle so he's usually asleep by about 7.45pm. I hold him upright for 20 mins after feeding but at night he's asleep for this.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 10:21:20 am »
Ok so he's doing just over 13hr night which which is great and not that unusual if they are waking for feeds during that time. I'd just enjoy it!

If you need an earlier wu time though maybe consider pushing his BT forward by 5-10 mins every few days and see if that helps the whole day move earlier. IME these routines change all the time at this age of rapid growth so in a few weeks things will probably be different.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline julia.north

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 10:50:09 am »
I would wake him up again at 7:30 am, feed and continue with the EASY routine shifted 30min ...
It happens to us quite regularly but seems to be working well :)
Best wishes,

Julia