Author Topic: 4 month old night waking - sleep regression or issues?  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Mum2lucy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 month old night waking - sleep regression or issues?
« on: November 02, 2015, 10:39:56 am »
Hi all,

I have a 4 month old lg who is generally quite a good sleeper. However recently she has been waking up during the night. I am wondering if this is the 4 month old sleep regression due to developmental leap or if I have other issues at play? I also have 40 mins naps again.

For the night waking I have been trying to shhh pat and seeing if she will settle and if not then I have been feeding her. I have been working to 7pm bed to 7am rise but she seems ready to start the day at half 5. I have been feeding her back to sleep at this stage or ignoring her if she is happy babbling in her cot. Through this I have been managing to get to about 6.45. I am wondering if I should be getting up at half 5? (Really don't want to), if I am using feeding as a prop? Carry on as I'm
doing as see if it passes?

My easy yesterday looked like the following - I had to go out for the day so it is a little different than usual.

E 5.30 (she is ebb)
S 5.45 - 6.45
A 6.45
E 7.30
S 9.40 - 10.20 (cot)

E 10.30
A 10.40
S 11.55 (45mins in car)
A 12.40 - 13.40

E 13.40
A 13.50
S 15.20 (30mins in Pram)

E 4.20
A 4.30
S 5.00 (1hr in car home)
A 6.00

S bed for night at 7.30

Also she has always had above average a times.

Any thoughts? Thanks! X

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: 4 month old night waking - sleep regression or issues?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 11:14:23 am »
Bumping this for you hon!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 11:19:03 am »
You said you were out this day? Is this pretty typical for the day that you have or quite mucked up? I

know that you said that your LO has quite high A times- but i would think that the 3 hours that she is having is possibly a little high for her at this point. I would not want the first nap to be TOO much earlier than 9- but perhaps you could start it at 9? I'm also wondering if the late nap for an hour is perhaps interfering as well? At this stage i would be aiming for 3 naps in the day- this can be hard if it's a busy day, but if you are home i'd be trying to keep her up and aiming for an early bed time rather than letting the last nap be late and long.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Mum2lucy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 21:09:39 pm »
Thanks for your reply.

It was a day out so prob a little different but there are days where I only get 40min naps.
My lg is bf and has medicated reflux just so you know.

The day befores easy was a day in the house and looked like:

Wake 6.45
E 7.10
A 7.25
S 9.00 (2 hours in cot)

E 11.10
A 11.25
S 13.30 (40 mins in cot)

E 14.20
A 14.30
S 16.50 (40 mins in cot)

A 17.30 (due to short nap)
E 18.10
A 18.20 to bed time routine
S 7.00

Dream feed at 11 and then slept Til half 5. I know it's a good sleep to get 7 to half 5 with the dream feed but it's just what to do at half 5 - feed or not feed? Get up?

I think you may be right about the later nap. I had been doing it as there was a short cat nap suggested at that time in bwslyp. The car journey meant it was longer Than normal. Tonight she didn't sleep after 5 and went to bed at 7 so I have cut it out. Will see if that makes a difference?

Wrt her awake time, she doesn't seem tired at all around two hours so she is Def needing longer. Today I did 2 hrs 45mins in the morning. You think that's still too long? I feel like I can't read her tired signs as she yawns if I move activity, she is fine. I know the yawns shows boredom etc. She doesn't seem to get grumpy or run eyes etc.

Thanks for your help
Xx

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 09:03:19 am »
Yup- i reckon you might o better with that nap gone. I think at this age that I wouldn't have any more than 3 naps- the third one wold be a cat nap essentially. I'll be interested in how it goes tonight with that nap out!

I think at 5.30 if a feed gets another hour or more then i would do it and count it as a night feed essentially. Also- with the reflux she may be hungrier or a little thrown off on the mealtimes- especially if she's vomited some of a feed up.

If you are confident with the A time then i don't think that's the main problem- i thnk the main contributing issue is possibly the day naps.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!