Author Topic: How to transition naps from 2-1 due to daycare  (Read 932 times)

Offline jrowden

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to transition naps from 2-1 due to daycare
« on: November 02, 2015, 15:29:34 pm »
I need some advice about getting my 11 month old onto a 1 nap schedule by January because she is moving from the infant room to the 1-year old room at her daycare. Currently she at daycare she is doing two naps between 30 and 45 minutes at approximately 1100 and 1500 ( this is 5 days a week). She was waking up at 630, although daylight savings just change this, but I think she'll be back on track soon. We typically put her to bed by 1900, but will do earlier if she didn't nap well. On the weekends her schedule is the same except her morning nap will be 1.5 hours.

When she needs to transition to the new daycare room she will be 13 months. My concern is that she has never napped for more than 45 minutes at daycare so just having them put her down later in the morning bit by bit may result in her only having one 45 minute nap during daycare and then needing a catnap (she'd likely fall asleep on the ride home - we can usually get her into her room with out waking her). This catnap would then be at 1630 and really close to bedtime.

Once she's in the new classroom the schedule will be her awake at 630, nap 12:30-3, BT can be flexible. I'm hopeing she can sleep better in the new classroom since everyone is on the same schedule and its darker/quiter).

Any thoughts? I'm at a lost and fear having months of an OT, NW, EW monster on my hands until she gets older.

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: How to transition naps from 2-1 due to daycare
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 18:55:06 pm »
Hey, sorry you don't have a response yet, I'm afraid I don't have any btdt with nursery naps, but I'll ask around and find someone who does :-*

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 23:41:26 pm »
Hi :) I have BTDT with day-care naps!

Can you tell me if she's sleeping 45min in the morning nap or the afternoon?

That will be a big jump in A time - I'd suggest you can ask them to put her down first when she does move into the big room so she's maybe starting nap time at say 12:15. Any way to wake her later than that or extend her night by sleeping on the way to day-care?

You could ask about increasing A time in 15 min increments every 2 weeks til she transitions so its not a sudden change :-/ Like you said, it could get messy with only one 45min nap all day but you could also see if she is just UT, yk?

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 05:59:58 am »
Have you spoken with the day care teachers regarding your concern?  Are they willing to work with you on the transition?  I transitioned DS1 from 2-1 prior to him beginning day care and I found it wasn't that horrific but surely they'd be willing to allow her a small CN in the afternoon as she transitions?  I did the 15 minute increments until DS could stay awake until 11:30, and then one day he just pushed himself through until noon.  He was just zipping around around, not at all tired so I let him stay up.  Once he started at day care, it was easy for him to stay awake another 30 minutes because there was so much going on.