Author Topic: How to start EAS with an older sibling hovering around?  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
How to start EAS with an older sibling hovering around?
« on: November 02, 2015, 21:03:48 pm »
My LO is 10 weeks old now.

Until now, she has not really been only any schedule, instead preferring to sleep for long chunks of time during the day, marathon nurse until midnight, and then sleep until 8am.

Though I am not on the exact schedule as EAS would have a 10 week old be, I have managed to get her to feed every three hours during the day followed with some sort of awake time.

In the evenings too, I have worked to lower her bed time and I've gotten it to 8:30pm so far! Huge improvement from midnight.

Anyway, where I run into problems is the "S" in EASY.

How do I manage naps with an older sibling hovering around? My son is 20 months old, not really able to play by himself yet, and likes to be wherever I am. So, when its time to put baby to sleep, he marches right in to the room with me which of course, keeps her from actually going to sleep. I don't want to have him watch a show every time Baby goes down for a nap either  so I end up carrying her around with me until she finally sleeps.

I have not been able to teach her any sort of independent sleep techniques because of it. She sleeps either on me or when in a little cot in the middle of the living room. At night, its boob or rocking her...  all the props you aren't suppose to use.  :-[

I would really like to get her on good EAS routine. I think she would benefit greatly from more regular sleep. Right now she can easily do a 3 hr awake time, wait for the a feeding because its that time again and then crash afterwards for a nap.

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: How to start EAS with an older sibling hovering around?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 18:35:22 pm »
I'm also noticing that in the evenings, after she's fallen asleep she will often wake up 30-40min in to her sleep. She fidgets and keeps moving around. It's partly gas, I'm sure. But, I'm wondering if the timing of it is because she's not getting enough sleep during the day? It's so hard to get her to sleep because I just can't step away and put her down.
Today her first nap was after about a 2hr awake time and only because I took her and her brother for a walk. Her snooze only lasted 25 min and she was awake again! Next nap was 2hrs  and the third nap lasted about 40min. Sometimes she takes multiple long naps and other days it's like today. Bedtime was 6:30pm though!! That was good.

How can I get her to sleep? I hate having to wear her or carry her around or even nurse her in hopes she will go to sleep. I just feel like I'll get stuck with this and in 10months STILL have do this.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 08:22:10 am »
Honey so sorry your post was missed. I will be back in the evening with some advice. Meantime I am bumping your post for some others to see!
~Marta

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 22:16:56 pm »
Hon it's difficult - I am pretty sure so for now I would just do anything but to survive with a toddler around your legs. Concentrate on EAS routine so separate e from s, try to feed at 3h mark, make maybe one of her naps at home in the cot and let all the others in a pram or swing. Would that be fine for you?
~Marta