Author Topic: 28 mo old lo barely eating a thing!  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: November 03, 2015, 12:05:54 pm »
My lo was always a great healthy eater and now he barely eats a thing. It's so frustrating. Ive always offered healthy food options so it's not that he chooses junk food he just doesn't have much interest in anything. For breakfast I'll try different things like cereal or toast of eggs it homemade healthy muffins. He barely eats a thing just plays with his food or throws it. Snack is usually on the go and he will have some crackers raisins or granola bar. Lunch he does ok with pb&j sandwich but he opens it scrapes off the insides and might eat a few bites of bread. It's like eating with a caveman. Ive always offered him utensils but I haven't yet found a spoon that keeps  yogurt on it! Dinner is awful he pretty much refuses anything I serve and just eats a ton of fruit and maybe a yogurt. This is so not well balanced and I'm afraid he's not getting appropriate nutrients.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 28 mo old lo barely eating a thing!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 13:12:10 pm »
IME toddlers have phases of eating loads then cutting right back.  He is probably getting enough even though you feel it isn't much.
If he is holding out for fruit at dinner time you might want to do no-fruit or limited-fruit for 3 or 4 days.  Fruit is healthy so you obviously don't want to cut it out completely but if you only gave a very very small portion for 3 or 4 days (maybe a week) he would likely start eating more variety again.  I did this with mine, only once, I noticed how he'd gone from eating everything to holding out for or demanding fruit. He didn't like the idea of limited fruit (I really did limit to tiny portions) and kicked off big time, crying, knocking on the cupboard door where he knew dried fruit was kept, I offered a hug, told him I understood how frustrated he was, that I knew he wanted fruit and of course that fruit is tasty, but that it was my job as his mummy to make sure he had a balanced diet with a range of good foods.  I never shouted at him, or told him off for his tantrum like behaviour about wanting fruit, I just sympathised and cuddled but I held firm on my decision. After 3 days he was back to eating properly again.  I kept fruit portions relatively low for a while to make sure we didn't go back to too much fruit but after not long I could increase and he was fine.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: 28 mo old lo barely eating a thing!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 13:30:23 pm »
I agree with creations. Toddlers definitely start exerting their opinion about their preferences, but by and large, many of them just go through slower growth than when they were younger and don't need as many calories. It can seem alarming at first but they really do get enough to eat. They are recognizing their body's feelings of when they are hungry and how much they need to eat and that is a good thing. They do sometimes try to eat the type of food that they like best, but the amount of food really does drop off until you hit a growth spurt.