Author Topic: Pls help! my baby wake up after 30m-40m go to night sleep, catnap, early waking  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Khuevu108

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
There is her schedule
6am E, A
8 S
10 E, A
12 S
2pm E, A
4pm S catnap
4:30pm E light feed
5:30pm bath, bedtime routine
6pm night sleep
11pm and 3am dreamfeed

I try to feed her every 2,5-3hrs from she was born, then when she was 9 weeks I put her to easy 3hours, but she kept wake up every 30m to 1hrs after 3am, she didn't eat much like before (i breastfeed, she just sucks about 7m), catnap, and extremly difficult to put her down to sleep, she cried and screamed till sleep at night.
My friend suggest i tried easy 4hours, so i did when she was 10w3d. Its great that i can put her down easily after 2hrs wake time, no more screaming,. She still catnap wake up after 30-40m but I try keep her sleep through 2hrs by pick up then pat, rock (she's not sleep independently).
go to night sleep easily from 6pm to 4am (sometimes wake up in between because of pooping) and she always wake up about 4 to poo then awake then I have take 30m to put her back to sleep till 6 by let her sleep in my arms . I still try to extent her night sleep, wake to sleep doesn't work, shush-pat difficult as I have to pick her up to get to her back (sleep on her back) and as I have to hold her tight to pass all the jolts.
One more problem just appear these days is she wakes up 1 or 2 times after 30-40m go to night sleep), it didn't happen before. Most of the time I saw her go to deep sleep after 8:30pm.
I don't know what to do. Please help me.

Ps: I know I should not feed her at 3am but she wakes up and crying a lot so I couldn't help myself T____T. Is that cause the problems? How can I fix these schedule.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 09:45:12 am by Khuevu108 »

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Hi hon- It looks like you have some good patterns happening through the day! As for the wake up in the early night- generally a wake up after 30-40 mins in the night after bed is because they ar over tired. I would suggest you could try moving bed time a little further forward? I know that will put it early- but  generally bubs can't handle as much A time after the short cat nap- and the hour and a half might be too long.

It is totally appropriate to feed at 11pm and 3am- until about 9 months they need overnight feeds and till about 6 months they need 2. We did the dream feed till just after 6 months.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Khuevu108

• Showing Appreciation 0
I was exhausted these day as my daughter sleeping has no improvement.
I tried put her to sleep earlier as your advice but she kept cranky till 6pm (sometimes after 6) then fell asleep.

Tiredness makes me ruin the schedule. sometimes i feed her when she wakes up between nap or just to calm her down.
I think i'm getting nowhere

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
Hugs, you do sound tired :-* In order to help us to help you more, please could you post what an actual day looked like, so for example, yesterday might have been:

7 WU and E
9-9:30 S, resettle in arms, back to sleep 10-10:30
11 E
13:30 S (tried for 13:00 but she screamed, woke up again 14:00 then resettled 14:15-15:00)

Do you see what I mean? If you post what actually happened, rather than what you're aiming for, then it can help us to work out what the issues are and we can try to come up with a plan. We can't promise instant success but will walk with you through these difficult weeks :-*

Offline Khuevu108

• Showing Appreciation 0

16/11
Wake up 6:20 E
8:25 S
10:15 E
12:15 S
14:35 E
16:32 S
17:01 E, A, bath
18:30 Sleep till 6:08 next day, just waked up 15m after sleep, dream feed 2 times, picked up, hold to pass jolts 2 or 3 times from 4:25. this day was nearly perfect to me  :'(

17/11
6:08 E
8:08 - 9:33 S
11:45 - 14:00 S
16:05 - 16:35 S
18:30 Sleep, dream feed at 11pm, then 2am but she was awake till 2:50 then back to sleep till 6:15am (still have to pick up and pad from 4:30 till 5:45)
From this day i didnt note eating time because I feed her when she waked up but she didnt eat much because of pooping then after 30m to 1hrs I feed her again.

18/11
6:15 E
8:18 - 9:34 S
11:10 -13:25 S
15:30 - 16:02 S
18:15 S to 5:30am, dreamfeed 11:30 and 2:00 awake till 2:30

19/11
5:30 wake up
7:35 -9:25 S (1hrs50m)
11:15-13:25 S (2hrs20m)
15:29 put down to sleep but wake up and grumpy after 5m
16:30 S to 17:00
18:00 cranky till 19:40 slept, wake up about 1hrs after 2am back to sleep at 3:40 but slept straight to 6:15 (didnt stir and jolts enough to pick up)

From 17/11 she screamed loudly with eyes still closed one time between 8pm - 9pm, i had to wake her up to calm her down.

20/11
6:15 wake up
8:15 - 10:00 S
12:15 -13:00 S
15:15 S 50m
18:10 S waked up after 30m, cranky till 19:15, screaming 10m at 9pm then back to sleep, feed at 11pm, picked up to feed at 2:00 but still waked up at 2:32 till 3:44 slept straight to 6:29am

21/11
6:29 wake up
8:30 -10:17 S (1hrs47m)
12:25 - 14:45 S (2hrs20m)
16:35 - 17:00 S
18:30 cranky till 19pm slept 20m then 19:40 back to sleep, I watched and picked her up when her face like almost cry, her head jog. it's about 9pm, then let her down when her face was relax, but she still screaming at 9:40, so I waked her up, feed, back to sleep straight to 5:00, just dream feed at 2am when she stirred but she didnt wake up. after 5:00 she played in cot then I put her to sleep at 6, she sleep till 6:40am

Thanks for your concern. Im going to start note everything carefully again.

Offline trimbler

Hi there, I'm sorry I think I misunderstood, I thought she was catnapping during the day but it looks like she's almost always taking really good naps - I wish we had had great naps like that :) But it's exhausting when they wake so much at night, isn't it? (((Hugs)))

I must admit I'm not used to 3mo LOs who can manage such long A times, your routine is more like what I might expect some 4mo LOs to be doing, although mine didn't get there until later :P But since she seems to be napping so well, I wouldn't want to change the A times! I did notice that on some days when she was very unsettled in the evening and at night, she'd had a short 2nd nap, but the A time afterwards was still around 2h. I'd recommend if she does a short first or second nap and you can't resettle her, then reduce the A time afterwards, otherwise she may do a short third nap too (due to being OT) and then get really OT by BT. Those evening wakings are typical of  a baby who's OT. I'd aim to allow the third nap to be longer if she does a shorter nap earlier in the day, especially as she's quite young to be on this routine. An older baby might find that they struggle with BT after a long third nap, but I doubt that would happen in your case if she had less sleep earlier in the day.

The other thought I had was whether she might be getting hungry when she EWs? Is she bf or ff? I don't know much about ff but if bf and she's just having 4 daytime feeds and 2 night-time feeds, that might not be enough for some LOs at this age. Have you tried cluster feeding in the evening?  So you might give her a quick feed before her late afternoon CN (not feeding to sleep) or when she wakes, and then top her up again after her bath, again not feeding to sleep. I also wondered about the timing of your dream feeds - usually you'd only do a dream feed in the early part of the night when their sleep is deeper and they're most tired, so they tend to find it easier to get back to sleep again if they stir. Doing a dream feed later on in the night when their sleep is lighter could be interfering with her natural rhythms and it may be better to wait until she wakes for the feed - you may also end up getting a longer stretch of deep sleep that way ;)

Also I wondered if you wanted to chat about how you're teaching her to get to sleep, you mentioned that she's not sleeping independently? That's fine, she's still young, and it looks like you're using some of the BW tools to help to teach her, which is great :) Just let me know if you want to discuss any of that?

Mostly, I want to encourage you that you both seem to be doing really well, very few LOs at 3-4mos actually manage to stick to the routines we try to get them into, at least, not consistently every day. There are so many things that can disturb sleep (eg illness, teething, developmental spurts, digestive issues, temperature etc), so we don't really expect 'perfect' days and when they happen we can enjoy them, but please try not to get discouraged when they don't happen, it doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong or that she's not learning, actually sleep disturbances often mean that a lot of normal development is going on :-*

Offline Khuevu108

• Showing Appreciation 0
thank you so much for replying and especially for encourage me that makes me feel really good to be honest.

I was busy these day because I have to be back to work, luckily it's not a fulltime job, my DD stay with my mum few hrs during the days and her routine totally rubbish  :-\.
Firstly I have to explain about my DD napping. for 2 hrs nap, it's easy to put her down to sleep after 2 hrs A time but I have to come back and help her after 30m when I see her first move. if not she will fully wakes up after 40m (I try sometimes not to come) most of the time, then it may take 30' to get her back to sleep.
Few days ago we get back to routine and my DD was amazed me by sleep through 1,5 hrs straight without my help at first nap (once in a while I decide not to help to see any improvement and all fail except this time). However just only first nap was extended, the 2nd and 3th still catnap even though I shorter A time.

I do think she might be hungry, she is bf. she eats less than 10m every time. is that too fast?
to be honest, I just read Tracy's book, the secret of baby whisperer before gave birth so just few knowledge about EASY. I got wrong idea about dreamfeed, and dont know about cluster feed. After read your reply, I do dreamfeed before 11 when she still in deep sleep, a bit tricky because of bf,. the next feed I tent to do at 2:30am but she always wake up before that and I dont think she hungry before 2am.

My DD bedtime routine is bath, swaddle, I turn on whitenoise, turn off light, pick her up, hold, swing, singing (shu shu/pad if she cranky).

Offline Khuevu108

• Showing Appreciation 0
I write the reply above for few times but can not finish till today to post.
I bought Solves all your problem few days ago, try to save some times to read.
My DD still has some problem with night sleep, wu lot at night, early waking at 4 or 5.After bathing, I feed her then , I let her sleep in my arm as usual  :'(  then I put her down to cot after 5-15m she wu crying, it's again and again till about 8 when she go to deep sleep. Sometimes she wu at 9 or 10 I think she's been through growth spurt ???
her yesterday:
wu 5:55 E
S 8 - 10 : sleep 1h30 without help then wu, took 20m put her back to sleep for 10m.
E
S 12 (1hrs50m)
E 2
S 3:40 (30m)
bath at 5, then eat, then go to sleep, keep wu after 5-15m lay down in cot till 7:40, wu at 9 I feed her to sleep  :'(, then 11:30 dream feed again.
then wu at 2:20 playing till 3:50 back to sleep with lot of help including boobs, at 5pm when she stir, tent to wu, I pick her up to pad, she sleep till 5:48

The day before yesterday she wu at 2:30 but back to sleep after feeding. Then wu at 4 pooping, after changing, took me 1hrs to send her back to sleep at 5:30 and she wu at 6

I pretty sure that if I not pick her up at 4 she will wu pooping.

Today she is 4mth and I did PU/PD for 1st and 2nd nap, she screaming for 25m and it break my heart  :'(
I have to come back to her now. Will update soon.
Thanks for reading.

Offline trimbler

Hi there, good to 'see' you again :) It must be so hard having to work whilst she's still so little, and you must be really exhausted :-\ :-*

Firstly - I think you're doing just right by going in at 30mins to help her through her nap transitions :) Many mums on here have done just the same, and it's also great that you let her nap without your intervention once in a while, then you will know when she's able to do a long nap consistently by herself :)

For the dream feed - some LOs need to be in a deep sleep so that they don't wake up too much, but other LOs need to be a bit more awake (ie in lighter sleep) so that they feed properly. I experienced both - DS would need to be in really deep sleep otherwise he would wake up too much; but if DD was too deeply asleep she just wouldn't feed at all, so I had to pick her up (also bf) when she was in lighter sleep, she would wake and sometimes even look around or smile, but I would kind of feed her back to sleep, so she wasn't awake for very long really, it's not ideal but that's how it was for us. Perhaps you could experiment with the dream feed in lighter sleep? Or do you think that she takes a proper feed in deep sleep? Mine could go on for an hour, especially with DS, as I was too afraid to stop the feed in case he was still hungry! That is probably excessive though :P

As for daytime feeds, when she's fully awake, 10mins would be within normal range at 4mo. But if you think she might not be getting enough milk in 10mins, you could try sitting her up, burping her, maybe even changing her nappy, and then see if she wants any more milk. If not, and she's done a good burp, then she's probably had all she needs from that feed. 4mo is often an age where they get distracted whilst feeding, so it may be that she's hungry initially, but then sees something in the room which interests her more than finishing the feed - do you think she might be doing that? You could try feeding in a darker room, maybe when you get her up from a nap, before moving into another room. Or you could try walking around as you feed (never worked for us, but it does for some!), or singing/talking to her whilst she feeds, to keep her interest.

Just to clarify - do you currently hold her to sleep for every nap and then put her down, or is that only for BT? By 4mo, most LOs expect to resettle to sleep in the same way that they got to sleep initially - so if you hold/swing her to help her to get to sleep, then she'll want this whenever she stirs in the night. This includes the normal stirrings between 5-15mins after falling into light sleep, you'd expect her to reach deep sleep only after about 20mins. The only way to resolve this really is by helping her to get to sleep in her cot, but the good news is that this doesn't have to mean PUPD, which can be over stimulating even at 4mo. Actually if she only cried for 25mins then that's a really good start, but I know what you mean, it feels like forever :'( Have you tried using a form of shh pat with her in her cot, rather than in your arms? Have a read of this (taken from the 'solves all your problems' book) and see if you think she might be happier with that. Shush-pat - How to Think of PUPD as a last resort if all else fails.

Your daytime routine looks pretty good really, perhaps tomorrow try the same, only reduce her A time before BT and try using shh pat to get her to sleep in her cot, rather than on you. This will probably take ages the first few nights until she gets used to it, and she will probably wake again due to OT, but eventually she will learn and then she should be able to get to sleep more quickly before she gets OT.

Oh yes, and there is also a growth spurt at 4mo :-*

Offline Khuevu108

• Showing Appreciation 0

yesterday was hard day  :(
She cried and screamed in very nap and bt.
For BT, bath at 5:10 then feeding, went to bed at 5:45, crying for 35m, I used Sh/pad in cot, then she wu at 7 crying for 15m then back to sleep, maybe went to deep sleep around 7:50. Df at 10:30 (pick up to feed may wake her up a bit), saw her stir a bit at nearly 2, so I wait till 2:10 to feed again. Then she fully awake at 4:25, play in cot, then get tired at 5:10, then cranky, back to sleep at 5:50, I tent to wake her up at 6:10 but I oversleep till 6:20.
I could see her stirring from 4 but dont know what should I do? should I wait till her wake up then do Pu/Pd or pick her up to pad at 4 as I used to do but it just can keep her sleep till 5 or 5:30 then it's hard to get back to sleep and wu at 6.
I have the same question with nap, yesterday she still woke up after 40m then I did pu/pd again, took about 20m. But then I wonder should I going in at 30m to help her?

Today first nap just took her 5m crying a bit till sleep that make me so happy. To be honest, last night I still be doubtful for using pu/pd, i was desperate for hold her to sleep  :'(. Thing keep me not doing this is that what done was done, we're in middle of the road, I dont wanna wait all her cry in daytime.

Offline trimbler

That's great news on the first nap today :) Did you read the link about shush-pat? It's usually more appropriate at 4mo than PUPD, but if you do want to use PUPD, then how you do it should depend on their age - have a look at this: How to PU/PD (inc age adaptations)

With naps, yes, as I said, if going in at 30mins works, then definitely keep doing that! You can still not go in from time to time, to see what happens, but at this age short naps are really common, even if they used to do longer naps. There's a bit sleep regression at 4mo for all LOs, and from then on it can take many weeks if not months, for them to manage long naps consistently without some sort of help. Of course it depends on the LO. But I 'd say if you have something that works (ie going in at 30mins) then keep doing it :)

It's hard to comment on BT yesterday as I haven't seen the whole routine, but as she gets used to sleeping more independently, that should make a good difference. Just make sure she's not up too long after the CN, I'd go for no more than 1.5h, but probably less. If she's really struggling to get to sleep, assume she was OT and try a shorter A time to BT the next day.

In the night, try not to worry if you hear her stir. There's so much developmental stuff going on at 4mo, really huge leaps, that it's really common for LOs to wake up a bit, chat or move around, even for an hour or so. If she's not crying and upset, you don't need to do anything. Of course if she starts to get upset, then go to her and do whatever you need to do - a feed if she's hungry, or shush pat or change her if she 's dirty, etc. but if she's just chatting, rolling around or fussing a bit, leave her and she may surprise you by getting back off to sleep herself. It's actually good practice at self setting for her.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 20:25:26 pm by trimbler »