Author Topic: Is it ok to give 2.5 yr old expressed breast milk?  (Read 2009 times)

Offline lyssie28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Is it ok to give 2.5 yr old expressed breast milk?
« on: November 06, 2015, 10:35:35 am »
Hi I'm pumping breast milk for my 3 week old and just wondering if it's ok to give it to a 2 and a half year old? She keeps asking for breast milk when she sees her little sis getting some and I was thinking of making breast milk ice lollies for her as she loves her ice pops and thought breast milk ones would be better for her.  Does anyone know if there would be any benefit for her at this stage or is it pointless? I stopped bf her at 8 months old.  Thanks.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: Is it ok to give 2.5 yr old expressed breast milk?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 13:39:56 pm »
Honestly, she may not even like the taste at this age. It is not like the milk she is probably used to drinking. You could allow her to try it to satisfy her curiosity and if she likes it give it to her sometimes. I doubt it would have any negative effects for her. I wouldn't go out of my way to make enough for her to have regularly though which for me would have stressed me out about having enough for baby and the older one. You can also help her feel connected when you're nursing by letting her "nurse" a doll near to you when her lil sis nurses. My DD and DS helped me pump the other day using a manual pump LOL. They just want to be a part of what is going on. I even let them drink out of some of DD2's bottles when she first started to have pumped milk in a bottle. They wanted to feel like they were still my little babies, too. They chose to have milk or orange juice in the bottles but they felt special and it lasted about 3 days and they wanted regular cups again. So, I'm willing to bet she just wants to feel special and little and loved and cared for the same way she sees baby sister is.

Offline Swannie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 14:53:54 pm »
Sometimes when I run into an over-supply issue with my 5 month-old, I will express some to relieve discomfort and then mix it in with my 2.5 year-old's regular milk.  She doesn't notice and I am happy that she is getting the extra anti-bodies during this cold and flu season. I have been doing this off and on for several months and have not noticed any ill-effects.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 23:14:09 pm »
Yes its definitely ok. It would have all the nutritional benefits at any age, much more so than cows milk. 
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 01:05:07 am »
Definitely!  Wonderful for her to be getting all the goodness from bm :)
Claire x

Offline grace annes mommy

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 01:10:36 am »
It's totally OK.  I asked a lactation consultant about it and she said while bm is best for baby, it still has wonderful nutrients for any age.  You can do smoothies, chocolate milk, etc.
I agree with Nicole about her just wanting to be involved tho. 

Offline lyssie28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 21:03:37 pm »
Thanks.  I might just give her a taste next time she asks.  I think she is wanting to be involved too as she is always wanting to get the nappies etc.  She's also started swaddling her doll and feeding it before putting it to bed lol.  I might also try bm smoothies for her that's a great idea.  I have been pumping milk and sometimes I do have too much. 

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 00:37:28 am »
I might just give her a taste next time she asks.
This is what I did with DD. She tried once or twice and then didn't ask again. She loved to nurse her baby beside me when I nursed DS or she curled up on my lap and pretended to nurse while I rocked her.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 14:28:56 pm »
My lactation consultant advised me to do this when I had to express some anyway - to give it to my 4yo, who doesn't like cow's milk. I couldn't work out how to disguise it and it would have felt dishonest to me to do that, so I asked him if he'd like some, said I 'd been told it would be good for him, and he was totally grossed out ;D Then one day he asked for some out of curiosity, so I gave him some, I'm not even sure if he did sip it in the end, he just said "this is the worst day of my life" ;D