Author Topic: Help with 2-1 transition  (Read 6721 times)

Offline LittleSplasherMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Help with 2-1 transition
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2015, 20:33:08 pm »
Hi! I thought I'd give you an update, since it's been a while. Things have been up and down, DS was unwell with high temperature last week, but only for a day and not other symptoms, no cold, nothing.. ??? then after that day he hasn't been himself, crying all of sudden for nothing, really clingy and whiney! He must be teething!! Also his wus are a bit early again, not every day, but usually just before 6. Only one day this week he woke at 6.30. He's also been waking with a huge poo every day, although today it wasn't too bad, so maybe getting better.
His nap has been generally 1h20, today he did 1h30 but it was at 11.30, so we squeezed a 15mins catnap in the car. A couple of days this week he fell asleep in the stroller in the morning at 9.30, so used that as the cn and moved his nap later, that worked ok. We did have a few days with only one nap and ebt, so I think we are moving forward despite all the problems.
One question though: I'm worried that when he wakes early I don't go in unless he's crying properly, he usually whines for a bit, not sure if it's the right thing to do. I don't get him out until 6.15/6.30 unless I can smell poo, then I change him and if it's still too early I put him back in the cot. I usually put some music on (his mobile or Ewan the sheep) and stay there. If he's calm and looks like he might go back to sleep I leave, then come back when he cries again. Do you have any advice? or what did you used to do?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 20:35:35 pm by LittleSplasherMum »

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2015, 18:02:33 pm »
Argh that dos sound like teething. Yours and mine could be very much the same there  ::).

That's good he's using the stroller to get a quick CN in at that time. It's exactly what we did (albeit with the car) at that time further down the transition. It just helps sometimes to ward off any OT.

You're doing the right thing wrt the morning. I did the same thing. Although now I shout down the hallway to go back to sleep if she singing.  ;) Before, I did as you did and only went in if she was upset. If so, I'd pd if necessary, ssh her and tell her it's still nighttime and to go back to sleep. Most of the time it didn't work but I feel that it helps with stretching their A time if we use the get out of bed time as the starting point at this age. I think it does help for them to spend time alone in bed too, so show that it's ok to just lie there without mummy or daddy rescuing them as soon as they wake xx

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2015, 21:15:00 pm »
oh bless you, thanks so much!! that is reassuring!!

poor thing is a bit sick now, cold (like mummy) and cough again!!! >:(
wu 5.30 the last two days!! yesterday we were going to have a busy day, so I let him sleep a bit in the stroller from 9.30 to 9.50, then he slept nearly 1h30 at 12.15. Today wu 5.20, but went back to sleep on his own for about half an hour from 5.40 till 6.20. So I gave it a shot and kept him up till 11.30, he went to sleep straight away without winding down poor baby and slept...brace yourself...2h20!!! must be because he's sick! So he woke at 1.50ish. At around 6.35 he laid on me as if he wanted to sleep (never does this unless he's sick), so we put him down at 6.40 and was asleep by 6.45.

Will see what time he wakes tomorrow. At least we only had one nap, which is great.  :)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2015, 21:29:33 pm »
I always find we have a great night when DS ill. Hope you get a good night  :)
Zoe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2015, 21:32:32 pm »
fingers crossed!!  ;D

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2015, 07:25:32 am »
Yay about the sleep! At least it shows he can do it! Hope you both feel better soon though. We've got coughs and colds too  >:( xx

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2015, 08:25:57 am »
Yes, let's hope we are all better by Xmas! finally a decent wu this morning: 6.15  :) He did moan a couple of times during the night, I think because of his stuffed nose  :( I'll try to go for a nap at 11.45 at the earliest I think. x

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2015, 08:56:22 am »
Great night, we have coughs and colds here too.

Have u tried putting olbas oil on a tissue in the room out of reach of course....makes my DS have a more comfortable night and Vicks on chest back and soles of feet?
Zoe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2015, 09:45:51 am »
We are using Vicks on chest, will try on back and feet as well and Olbas oil, thanks for the tip! x

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2015, 12:38:52 pm »
Still use Vicks on the chest and feet here too! Xx

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2015, 20:13:11 pm »
I'm happy to report that we had 4 days in a row now with one long nap and decent wus!!  ;D fingers crossed this is it! thanks for all your help ladies!! In case I don't write anymore, have a lovely Christmas!! xx

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2015, 21:13:01 pm »
Lovely news honey, have a great Christmas too xx
Zoe

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2015, 07:41:57 am »
Yay!!! Merry Christmas to you too  ;D xx

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2016, 13:13:22 pm »
Hi ladies, I'm back!  ;D which means I've got a little problem... not sure if I should start another post or carrying on on this one.

Anyway, since we went to one nap before Christmas things have been up and down, but we went away for two weeks and the moved house... so I've given him a bit of time to settle down again.
Problem is his nap has got shorter; it started off as a good 2hrs, then 1h30, lately I've had to go up and resettle him after 1h/1h15 and would usually do another 30 mins/1h, so I know he needs more sleep. Just now he woke after an hour, but it seems like he's gone back to sleep by himself, so, hopefully, he's getting used to sleeping more again... ???
Nights have been fine, no nws, hardly any ews. Recently he even slept till 7, which is unusual. He is now walking quite well, so that could have had an impact on his sleeping.
Our routine is usually:
-wu: 6.30 (sometime earlier sometime later)
-nap:12 (1h15 to 1h30)
-bt: 6.45-7

Also, when he wakes later than 6.30, let's say closer to 7, I have been putting him down later than 12, usually 12.15, but didn't get a long nap. Should I keep to 12 no matter what or try a bit later? Thanks as usual!  :)

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2016, 07:00:22 am »
Yay to the one nap, go you!

I like the set nap at this age so i'd keep with it. However, I found this too in that after a month or so at our set time, the nap got shorter. At first I thought OT, so I did what you did and kept with the same ish set time when she woke later. That still got a shorter nap.

Now waking at 1hr 15 can be OT for some. Especially when they master walking it can tire them out a bit more. However, I'd be inclined to push the nap out to 12.15pm and see if that makes a difference. It's such a small increase for his age, so if i is OT hopefully it wouldn't make matters worse. But as the nap is shortening when you're getting longer nights, I'm erring on the side he needs the nap pushing out just a little. wdyt? xx