Author Topic: 8 Month Old Short Naps  (Read 1083 times)

Offline wriggles15

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 07, 2015, 20:45:56 pm »
Hello

My first time posting but would really appreciate some help.

My LG turned 8 months a week ago and over the last week her naps have become really short.  She was taking 2 x 1.5 - 2 hour naps a day with a first A time of 2.45/3 hours and then 3 hours following that.  Over the last week her first nap went to just over 1 hour and afternoon nap of 45 mins, I would then offer her a short catnap to tide her over until bedtime, today has been the worst with 30 - 45 minute naps.

Her day has gone like this so far:

7am Wake
10am nap
10.30 wake (resettled - went back to sleep at 11.15)
12.00 wake
3.00 nap
3.30 wake
6pm nap
6.40pm wake
20.40 bed

We have also had a few more nightwakings (she usually wakes once in the night).  I probably shouldn't have let her have a late nap at 6, but I knew she wouldn't make it until bedtime.

She cut her first set of teeth and was unwell during her 7 month and had short A time (around 2 hours) then when she got better she was fine with 3 hour A.  She is commando crawling and also learning to pull up at the moment, could this be causing her to have short naps?  Is there anything I can do to help her sleep better?

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Re: 8 Month Old Short Naps
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 00:33:52 am »
Welcome to the forum! :)

The new skills could certainly be causing issues (standing up caused major issues with my DS for a while!). It could also be discomfort. Could there be any teeth moving underneath her gums or does she have a cold coming on? DS didn't have his usual good naps the last 2 days and was waking crying and I was about to tweak his routine until he woke up (after a miserable night) with a bad cold. Illness can really throw a wrench in things.

If you think it's not any of the above, it could just be a matter of her growing out of her routine. Around 8-11 months, most LOs do start shortening one nap in preparation for moving to one nap (don't panic, that's a while away yet ;)). It is common to have one short nap (45m-1h) and one longer nap (1.5-2h). It could be getting worse as she gets OT from the short naps but a bit of tweaking should get her back on track.

When DS started this shift, I opted for a shorter first nap since it fit better with DDs routine but it's really up to you. A day with a short first nap might look like:
WU: 7
S: 10-1045/11
S: 130/2-3/330 (it takes a bit of trial and error to get the A time right)
BT: 7

If you opt for a shorter pm nap, you will probably have to push the first nap later so your day may look like this:
WU: 7
S: 1030-12
S:3/330-345/430
BT: 7

If you have another rough day with 2 short naps, I would probably go for early bedtime (EBT) over a late CN. I have done BT as early as 530. You may get some wakings early on due to OT but it should give your DD a chance to catch up on sleep.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline wriggles15

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 21:00:25 pm »
Thanks for your reply. :)

I'm not sure what happened today, I put her down after 3 hour A for her first nap and she had a 2 hour nap! Then after 3 hr 15 she had another long nap.  Fingers crossed she is getting back to normal. She likes to keep me on my toes!!

How many hours day sleep should she be having around this age?

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Re: 8 Month Old Short Naps
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 19:18:23 pm »
Maybe it was just a developmental blip. She could also just be catching up on missed sleep.

Typical Amounts of Day and Night Sleep
(Lots of moms will tell you that their LO needs less than the averages listed there. I know my DD was fine on 13h of sleep at 8 months.)
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014