Author Topic: 5 mo old broken afternoon naps since forever!  (Read 3428 times)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
Re: 5 mo old broken afternoon naps since forever!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 22:51:29 pm »
Yes he's less than two weeks shy of 6 months. I can try to increase A which I started to do a couple of weeks ago but he was giving me OT stuff longer than a week so I cut back to 2.5. Today he gave me an 1:10 am nap and 1:20 pm nap (which I resettled at about 36 minutes). Leads me to believe he's UT. I have him right now doing a CN which he was fighting me on big time. Crying and pushing me off. Perhaps it's time for set naps and transition out of CN?

I have been heavily considering set naps but I am scared it won't work. My LO is textbook/angel but seems a bit touchy with sleep. Do you think with his temper my I should just go for it. I have been looking at a possible set nap routine of the following:

WU 7/7:30am
E 7:45 am
A
S 10:am-11:30
E 1:45 pm
A
S 2 pm-3:30 pm
E 3:45pm
A
E 6:45 pm
S 7/ 7:30 pm

Maybe do a CN when I get short naps?
Jennifer xx

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 04:57:07 am »
That EASY looks like it would work. I think you'll find you just have to drop the CN all together. I tried to implement a CN on short nap days but it never really worked so I just learned to push through. I don't know if I'd suggest hard-lined set naps at this time. I keep a rough time for the morning and I'm more rigid with the afternoon due to day care pick up. I aim for two 1.5hr naps each day. If the morning is a disaster, I let him nap longer in the afternoon. Try to be a little flexible, there are so many factors that can affect your baby's sleep.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 15:24:55 pm »
I agree in terms of no rigid set nap times. I'm thinking give or take 15 minutes depending on wake up and nap lengths. I don't want to add to the problem of OT since it looks like he's finally climbing out of the hole. Last night he slept better but I agree I think I have to move to removing the CN as I can't help but think it's contributing to the NW especially early in the evening. Not to mention teething and right in the middle of a developmental leap which also can affect sleep.

Are you saying cut the CN cold turkey or ease my way to eliminating? I was thinking of shortening to 15 minute tops if he does not do long naps. His issue is that he barely makes 1.5 let alone 2 hours in nap lengths. Lately the most I get is 1:10-1:20ish on s 2:20-2:30 A time.

My concern would be too much A before bed. 3-3.5 hours is already a leap. I was thinking of he naps 3:30 or beyond then do BT 3 hours from there until he gets used to no CN.

Update: I have been trying for 2.5 A in the am for a couple of days and still getting 36-37 minute wake ups which I believe indicate UT. Should I expand to 2.75 or 2:40? I haven't started set naps bc we are about to go away. But I'm thinking with the routine I outlined, the naps would be 10 am and 2 pm give or take 15 minutes. But instead I can wake him at 7:30 and intend on first nap starting at 10:15? Does that make sense.

Do you think this could work?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 16:53:35 pm by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline lauradj

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 05:50:04 am »
I think your plan sounds good and I think it will all come together a little more neatly once that CN is gone.  You could try shortening it to 30 mins for a few days and then just drop it all together.  You'll find there will be a few days where he's a bit OT but then he'll likely start napping longer during the day and the wake up time won't be as big because he'll be napping longer.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 16:47:05 pm »
Thanks Laura!

I think you are totally right. The CN is what I believe to be the main culprit for things being hairy at BT and with naps.  So lately my CN has been 20 minutes so I'm just going to go ahead and cut it out since it's not a drastic change and do BT 3 hours from wake up of pm nap until he gets used to the lengthened A to bed.
Jennifer xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 20:56:53 pm »
Quick question: is it possible that LOs rapidly increase A times? I been trying for 2.75 and  still getting what seems to be UT naps. Also he is refusing to settle and will cry when I start singing and/or patting. He used to go down easily with these methods. He's about to be 6 months in a week.

In addition, he officially dropped the CN. I'm utterly confused. Should I plow on with the routine I suggested?
Jennifer xx

Offline lauradj

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 22:54:01 pm »
Plow on my dear!  It is very typical for babies to fly through a few A times.  With all the growth spurts they experience, their development can sky rocket and they want to be awake for longer.  If he's fighting his usual soothing techniques try extending his A time in small doses, just 10 minutes at first, and see if that helps. 

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2015, 02:22:09 am »
Yes plow on I shall!!

I can try a slightly longer A. So a set nap schedule would maybe not work so well if he needs an almost 3 hour first A? How  would that work I guess is what I am wondering.
Jennifer xx

Offline lauradj

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2015, 04:22:39 am »
I can give you my schedule for DS2 who has about 3hrs of A time:

WU: 7am
S: 10am
WU: 11:30
S: 2:30pm
WU: 4:00pm
BT: 6:45/7

You'll notice that in the morning H is awake for 3 hrs but in the afternoon he's only awake for 2.5 hrs, then 3 hrs again before bedtime.  It has been this way for the past month or so and it was the same with my first born.  He'll probably maintain this schedule until he's ready to drop a nap and then I'll just do it gradually over a month.  We just sort of naturally fell into set naps based on what the boys need and that's likely what will happen to you in time.  I wouldn't push the set naps, just aim for 3hrs if that's what is working and you'll see a pattern emerge eventually.   

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2015, 13:18:02 pm »
Ok that sounds good! I can definitely try this. So the naps would be 10 and 2 with a wake up at 7 eventually.

So last night my husband and I were out while my mother watched him. She ended up putting him down for an almost 30 minute CN!!! The funny thing is, when he finally fell asleep he was only 20 minutes from the planned bedtime! Grrrrr!! so He had a very late bedtime, NW, and still woke up early. He only had 9 hours of sleep where he usually gets 11-11.5. Should I still push the A times or shorten them a bit since he had a rough night?
Jennifer xx

Offline lauradj

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 21:31:23 pm »
I'd just proceed as usual but that's totally up to you  :)  Moms, they mean well but man can they drive us nuts!!

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2015, 00:38:17 am »
Haha tell me about it!! It doesn't help that poor DS's teething has progressed and is causing a lot of discomfort. Looks like he is about to cut his first bottom teeth!  ;D
Jennifer xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2015, 04:31:31 am »
Soooo I finally dropped the CN today and did a 3 hour A to bed after a 1:10 am nap and a 2 hour pm nap. However, I got a 2 hour night waking! I think a big part of it is he developed a bit of a cold and he's teething harder  :o. However, I was wondering if it could also be due to the dropping of the CN? Is it normal for such a long NW when dropping CN?

My first A was 2.75 and the second was 2.5. If this is normal, how long typically will this long NW last? Is it due to OT?
Jennifer xx

Offline lauradj

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2015, 05:13:41 am »
The 2hr NW is more likely due to the teething. You'll need to give it a solid week before things normalize for your LO.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2015, 23:51:55 pm »
Sounds good Laura keep you all posted!
Jennifer xx