Author Topic: 5 mo old broken afternoon naps since forever!  (Read 3405 times)

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: 5 mo old broken afternoon naps since forever!
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2015, 03:55:01 am »
Something another Mod mentioned to me in passing that you might want to consider.  Her child had a bad reaction to Advil/Ibuprofen.  She said about 2 hrs after she gave it, her LO woke up with tummy pains.  If this is what your using to help with teething pain, maybe try baby tylenol instead and see if that helps.  I've never heard of that happening before but it's worth considering.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2015, 04:46:05 am »
Oh man! I actually have been using baby tylenol but was considering switching to baby Ibuprofen since I heard it is longer lasting. Oh well I'll hold off since he is just about to be 6 months and perhaps his digestive system will be sensitive to it. Thank you for the heads up! :)
Jennifer xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2015, 16:55:05 pm »
Hello!

I have a question: DS is about to be 6 months old tomorrow, the past two nights he has been waking up every 2 hours to eat...like full feeds?! At first thought I am thinking ok...hes going through his 6 month growth spurt which I hear is a biggie. However, because I cut out his CN and am implementing a longer A after the second nap, I am wondering if this is also causing more NW...its up to 5-6 times  ::)

I am posting here since we have been discussing nap routines and I know that nap routines as well as A times heavily affect night sleep...thoughts?

The last few days (since he has been sick) I have done 2.5 first As and a 3 hour last A rather than 2.75 first two A's. Maybe this could be contributing to the increase in NW?

If its just a growth spurt then that's fine I'll ride it out  ;)
Jennifer xx

Offline lauradj

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2015, 18:38:23 pm »
It is likely just a result of the growth spurt.  I found with my LO's they can last about a week.  It's a bit taxing on the nerves but then it's done.  I think the key now is to stick with a consistent time if you can, to allow your LO to fully adjust to the new schedule and then stick with it for several weeks.  Babies like to know what's coming, as we all do, so as his routine becomes consistent, he will relax into it.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2015, 02:20:21 am »
Thank you Laura!

I'll admit I'm having a hard time with waking him up consistently since he's been sick. I'm deathly afraid of a severely OT baby.

When you say pick a time and be consistent for a few weeks, do you mean wake up time or with A times?

Do you think that's why I'm having issues with naps and bedtime...the inconsistency?
Jennifer xx

Offline lauradj

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2015, 03:46:17 am »
I completely understand you being hesitant to wake a sick baby, and you should be.  When my kids are sick, I let them sleep until they're ready to wake.  However once he is healthy do him, and yourself, a favour and get him back into his routine. 
When I say pick a time, I'm referring to the A time.  I do think part of the problem is that the days are often inconsistent from one day to the next.  It's ok if the A times are different (eg. DS2 is awake for 3hrs 15 mins in the morning but only 2.5 in the afternoon) but it should pretty much always be the same each day, baring illness etc.  If your LO is routinely getting the stimulation he needs and the right amount of sleep, he's going to fall into his rhythm naturally and you'll likely start getting much better naps and night times. 

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2015, 04:45:50 am »
Ok yes I can devote the next couple of weeks to being consistent with wake up and A times. So even though I'm still getting 36-40 minute wake ups for the first nap (after an A of 2.75) I should stick with it for another week or so? The second A at 2.5 seems to be working well for us.
He still has a lingering cold so it's still ok to get him back on a routine correct? I'm a FTM so this is all very new to me as this is his first cold.  ::)
Jennifer xx

Offline lauradj

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2015, 23:17:04 pm »
If the 2.5 hr A time is producing the best results, go with that one.  If he's still super sick and needing lots of sleep, I'd just let him have 2 hrs of sleep if he needs it, as opposed to 1.5.  If he just has a runny nose but is otherwise healthy, that's just part of having a kid, continue on.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2015, 01:07:12 am »
Yes 2.5 is producing best results for the pm nap...the am nap I am stumped. For the first A, Ill start from 2.5 and be consistent for a week or so and go from there. At this point the lack of consistency has confused me where I can't tell if his broken am nap is OT or UT...you know?

Jennifer xx

Offline lauradj

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2015, 23:37:45 pm »
Yup, I get there.  Good job with the PM nap though!  Now that you've got that one figured out, you can tackle the morning  :D

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2015, 15:31:10 pm »
haha yes!! the funny thing is that the am nap used to be the reliable nap hence the name of this post lol

Question: Last night DS had 3 long NW ranging from 45-1:15 all different times at night. He woke up fussy at points but not crying and the NW between 3-4 am, he just wanted to practice crawling stance and rolling all around. Is this developmental or is it teething (he's teething) or a routine issue or both? Its never happened before so I don't know what to make of it.
Jennifer xx

Offline lauradj

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2015, 21:56:36 pm »
Most likely developmental.  Honestly, unless he cries, I would just leave him to fuss.  If you go in every time, he won't learn to put himself back to sleep.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2015, 22:18:19 pm »
Yes I left him to it until he began to cry then I fed him since it was more than 3 hours since he fed. We share a room so regardless I didnt sleep ::)

I honestly think I need an EASY do over...I have been trying the set nap routine with 2.5 A times but I'm getting a lot of long NW and shortened naps as well as fights to naps and BT. I think that means I need to post on the EASY forum?

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 17:57:53 pm by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline lauradj

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2015, 20:36:11 pm »
The ladies on the EASY forum are very wonderful and can offer lots of suggestions, give it a go  :D

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2015, 20:37:27 pm »
Thank you so much for all your help! It was so so appreciated!  ;D
Jennifer xx