Author Topic: How to start Easy with 5 week old  (Read 1915 times)

Offline lyssie28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to start Easy with 5 week old
« on: November 16, 2015, 20:26:42 pm »
I followed Easy routine with my eldest and she became a greater sleeper. I want to start with my 5 week old now is it too early?  I don't really know how to start it as sometime she will sleep 45 mins and sometimes she will go 3 hrs.  Do I need to cap the naps to 1-2hrs at this stage or just have a loose routine?  Sometimes she'll be awake up to 2 hrs and sometimes only half an hour (we put her down in crib awake and pat her chest gently for 5 minutes and leave her to it. More often than not she will drift off) but then when she wakes at 3am nf sometimes she'll fuss for hours.  Too much daytime sleep do you think? I didn't start Easy with my eldest until she was around 6 months and I remember it was a nightmare to get her on it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 20:46:10 pm by lyssie28 »

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 21:41:14 pm »
Hi Honey, yes of course it's a good moment to start easy as a routine not as a rigid schedule. As I am on my phone I cannot quote but there is a great link on FAQ board on how to start.

My main advice would be:
- feed every 3h during day even if it means waking the baby from the nap to make sure she gets maximum amount of calories
- yes, think of daytime sleep but not too much at that age; just make sure she has 3 naps of 1.5-2h and one shorter catnap
- naps won't be great and it means that sometimes you will be feeding not after the nap but shortly before but don't worry just make sure you separate eating from sleeping
- the way she goes to sleep is superb:)
- don't worry about last nap of the day and sleep training - if she needs swinging, pram or whatever for that last nap - do it, you will soon drop that nap
- easy works on equal A times throughout the whole say separated by almost the same length naps; at 5weeks it's probably anything between 1h and 1:20h. It still might be more or less - it's just the average; you can look for a FAQ re average A times
- A times change very quickly during first weeks so expect her to increase her awake time soon:).

Hope that helps!
~Marta

Offline lyssie28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: How to start Easy with 5 week old
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 16:57:28 pm »
Thanks for the info! I started it properly today but got to 4pm and she is so tired not sure if I should decrease A time.  Her day has been:

Awake 7.45
E 8.00
S 9.00 - 10.00

E 10.30
S 11.00

E 1pm
S 2pm

E 4pm
S 4.45 (couldn't keep her eyes open)

I am going to wake at 6pm for bath and hopefully a bottle but she would barely take 3oz at 4pm.  Then depending on how tired she is down for bed between 6.30 and 7.  Is this an OK routine for her age? I'm going to do just a loose routine for now and follow her cues just not sure if I'm forcing her stay away although she is normally back in her bed 45-50 mins after waking and falls asleep within 10 minutes usually.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 21:37:15 pm »
If she is sleeping nice after 50-60min that's totally fine. Follow her cues where you can and just try:)!

Btw well done!!!
~Marta