Author Topic: Twin toddler nite wakings!  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Deuce2

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: November 11, 2015, 11:38:27 am »
It's been a looong time since I've posted here.....my twin girls are now 27 months. They were really really bad nappers early on...we've moved past that and now our struggle is continued night wakings and early morning wake up.

Typical day:
Wake up between 5 and 6
Nap: 12-2 or 2:30
Bed: 7:30

They go down for naps and bedtime awake and fall asleep with no issues. They have pacifiers and don't have issues with losing them or anything like that. I'm not ready to wean them yet. They only have them at nap and bedtime. Our standard practice is when they nw, we go in and pu/pd with a short cuddle. They typically lay down and go back to sleep. The problem is that it happens sometimes 4 times a nite. Then they are up for the day at 5 or 5:30.

We have a new baby that I'm sure might be impacting the frequency, but this has been going on for the better part of a year and we just keep thinking with time it will get better. But it's not. And now it's going downhill. Twins share a room so there is also the struggle of one waking the other.

What are the best strategies at this age? 
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Twin toddler nite wakings!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 04:48:10 am »
So have they been on the lower end for sleep needs if they were bad nappers? Any chance they might benefit from a capped nap? My DD3 is almost 27 months as well (very low sleep needs - not napping anymore) so I can imagine that with a new baby that a shorter nap probably is not what you want to think about right now, but if it has a chance of helping eliminate nw's might be worth a try. When they had bad naps before did they sleep better at night?
Heidi

Offline Deuce2

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 15:03:58 pm »
I have thought about capping the nap....you're right I don't want to but if it eliminates nwings then is worth it. They definitely are happier better functioning kids when they sleep all nite and take a decent nap.....but I also think they are not the type of kids that need 14 hours of sleep.

Nwings have been a long issue.....I was still feeding them at night when they turned one.....once they finally went back to sleep without nursing, they still were waking. So we started the pu/pd and it works. It's just never stopped and the nwings are increasing in frequency. They have some "good"
Nites but many more there are 3+ wake ups.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Twin toddler nite wakings!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 14:22:45 pm »
I would def try capping the nap then, and hopefully that will help the night sleep out.
Heidi