Author Topic: 5 week old - can't get to sleep or stay asleep  (Read 9164 times)

Offline labrodyk

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 5 week old - can't get to sleep or stay asleep
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2015, 01:55:58 am »
Paed'a take was she's hungry and to try a different nipple or bottle. I could open a shop, ive tried them all.... I've been consistent with the one she has now to avoid confusion.

There is absolutely no pattern what-so-ever to a feed or sleep. Day and night is a complete mess.

I'm sitting patting her now and she's just staring at me despite having had about an hour all day so far. She closes her eyes for a few minutes and then wakes when paci falls out. Perhaps I should give the dummy away now....
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 02:03:48 am by labrodyk »

Offline grace annes mommy

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2015, 02:16:40 am »
And you haven't found any APOP that works consistently, right?

You could certainly ditch the paci if you think it would help.  I'm just not sure it's going to help that much, yk?

Does she give you clear hunger cues?  Or are they all mixed up with being OT?  If they're all mixed up, I would go ahead and do a stricter feeding schedule if you think that would help you.  It may also help settle her sleep into more of a pattern.  Of course, follow her cues first, though.

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2015, 20:22:16 pm »
I agree, I don't think taking the paci away at the moment is going to be all that helpful. I've not found a single apop method that sends her to sleep and keeps her asleep for a decent sleep consistently.

Interestingly I had her reviewed for an upper lip tie yesterday and ended up determining it was quite severe and had it released via laser. She's feeding worse than before but I'm hoping this is temporary whilst she relearns how to drink/suck.

Her cues are all over the place but I'm pretty sure I can determine hungry vs tired and have been quite strict on not feeding before 3hrs only because feeding so frequently was aggravating her reflux.

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2015, 20:35:18 pm »
I'm glad they found and released the lip tie. I hope that helps.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2015, 01:08:17 am »
Yes, hope the feeding improves for her now!keep us posted

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2015, 07:13:15 am »
Well feeding is worse for the moment...really hoping it improves.

For now, I positively can not get her A times right and she's a mess. Every time she's in the cot she cries and won't settle but if I pick her up she stops but won't sleep with me just holding her. I'm starting to get really upset because she's always upset too.

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2015, 14:16:57 pm »
Hugs, hun.  That sounds so tough.  Hopefully her feeding will improve soon and that will help her sleep a bit.  How is she in the stroller?  Can you all get out for some air?  Even if she doesn't sleep, she can relax a bit.  Or even better, can someone come take her out for a walk and give you a break?

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2015, 08:19:35 am »
Well she's feeding a little better (still very sloppy at some feeds and can't get a good seal on the bottle. However we're battling short naps and A times that are just way too long but it's taking forever to settle her. Last night she did her first stretch of sleep longer than 3 hours (7pm-1am) but during the day she is a mess.  The start of the sleep times are not when I put her down but when she goes to sleep - I'm tying for ages prior to those times to settle her and can't. Even going into her room now she starts crying and I can't settle her. My 3yo is going mad as am I. Our EASY last night and today was the below. She's finally asleep now at 7.00pm but what a fight to get there and i don't know if she'll stay asleep longer than 30/40 minutes. Any tips on what I can try?

S: 6.30pm. Cried but patted until finally settled at 7.00pm

NW (E): 1.00am
NW (E): 4.00am

WU: 7.00am
E: 7.15am
A:
S: 8.20 - 9.36. Replaced dummy twice and lay awake staring but did resettle
S: 10.00 - 11.30

E: 11.30
A:
S: 12.45-1.25 (car)
A:
S: 2.30-3.00 (swing)

E: 3.00
A:
S: 4.15 (screaming in cot), 4.30 into swing. Slept 4.45-5.10
E: 5.30 (not hungry and didn't drink much).
A: warm shower
S: 7.00 -

« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2015, 01:25:36 am »
Wish I had advice for you... In a very similar boat here.  Short naps and super hard to settle for bed.  Yesterday, she happened to take 2 very long naps then wouldn't settle for bed til 9pm.  ::)  If it's not one thing it's another.  Hopefully someone will pop in soon with better insight.

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2015, 01:52:58 am »
Those A times don't seem overly long to me. How old is she now?

Are you still using white noise? DD did the screaming as soon as we got into the room thing. A hairdryer worked to help her settle and then I would switch to a white noise app (still fairly loud) once she got calm.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2015, 23:22:02 pm »
She's 8 weeks old now and I'm working to a max A time of 1.5hrs excluding time it takes to settle her which can extend A time by 5 minutes or hours!

Difficulty I'm having with A times is that her signs aren't that clear as she grizzled, cries, fusses even after having a good sleep and a feed. It's really hard and frustrating.

Last night and nap this morning I held her a little longer patting in my arms before laying her down and she was able to settle with her dummy. For the night she slept 7.15-1.50 but this morning she woke at 7.30, was asleep at 9.05 but woke at 9.35. I replugged her and she dozed on/off until 10am but that's it. She grunts and groans and cries even in my arms so it's hard to know if she should be awake or Asleep.

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2015, 01:27:31 am »
It is tough when they don't give clear cues! Would a really short morning A time work for her? My DD was ready for a nap only 1h after waking.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2015, 08:50:10 am »
It doesn't seem to matter whether she's awake for 1hr of 5hrs she only naps 30-40minutes :( 
She was awake for 1.5hrs before bedtime at 6pm and she's slept in 20 minute blocks since then and it's nearly 8pm. She is SO restless and unsettled - she wants to sleep but just can't seem to stay asleep. Poor thing.

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2015, 21:21:34 pm »
She fed terribly all night and woke continuously and I just gave her the dummy. Final wake at 5.45 and wouldn't go back to sleep after another sloppy feed of spilling and vomiting. Back down in bed at 7.30 but woke at 8 and has been crying since. Patting and shushing just doesn't work unless I do it for hours

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2015, 00:29:55 am »
(((hugs)))

It sounds like she still might be in discomfort. What do you think?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014