Author Topic: Exclusively pumping breast milk - how can i increase milk supply  (Read 3500 times)

Offline lyssie28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Exclusively pumping breast milk - how can i increase milk supply
« on: November 13, 2015, 21:26:14 pm »
Been pumping milk for 4 weeks for baby but she is wanting more milk as she gets bigger. I pump 4 times a day.  Should I be doing it more?  I do 10 minutes each side and get 2-3 oz from each one every 4 hrs.  It's hard to fit time in as I have a toddler too.  Any tips on how to increase supply without having to do it every 2 hours?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Exclusively pumping breast milk - how can i increase milk supply
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 15:30:05 pm »
Hi there!
Most of what I've read suggests that you need to be pumping as often as a baby would be feeding in order to maintain supply. so I'd say add a pumping session if you can.  I'm sure that's very difficult though!

I found some good advice on this website: http://www.momschooldropout.com/2014/01/13/the-exclusive-pumping-mamas-survival-guide/

and here as well: http://kellymom.com/mother2mother/exclusive-pumping/

You might consider something like fenugreek to increase supply - I had a friend who made it to about 6 months using fenugreek before her supply dwindled.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 16:48:26 pm »
We also have this FAQ which at the bottom lists ways to help supply. I'm worried I may have low milk supply

I agree with Erin though, at this age a baby would be nursing 8-12 times in 24hrs so you probably will struggle to get what LO needs from just 4 pumping sessions. Also, what time are you pumping? Night time is the best time to pump because of high hormone levels so if you are going long periods between pumping sessions, especially overnight that will not help. A dream feed time pumping session might be the easiest to add in.

Btw it isn't too late to work on her latching if you want to  you'll likely need IRL professional experience though.

It must be tough going with a newborn and a toddler to fit around so well done for pumping. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 14:54:02 pm by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline lyssie28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 11:11:52 am »
Thanks for the info :-) I have added another session on so doing it in the morning at 8am, 12pm, 3pm, 7pm and 9.30.  I don't pump through the night and usually I get at least 7oz in the morning.  Fingers crossed I can continue this way until she's 6 months at least.  She isn't a great eater and in the first few weeks she would latch on but only for a few minutes and would fall asleep.  Even now it's hard to get her to feed after 3hrs even 4 sometimes.  I will be taking her to docs to get her checked over. 

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 14:59:53 pm »
Oh yes, I remember those early weeks with a sleepy newborn and trying to get them to stay awake long enough for a decent feed. They usually wake up for longer periods after the first month.

Do you know how much she is taking in 24hrs? 25oz is average from 1-6mo (it usually stays about the same) but the normal range is considered 19-32oz so quite a big variation.  If she prefers eating 4hrly that is fine if you are happy she is getting all she needs. Sometimes being too sleepy is a sign they don't have energy to wake up and eat due to not taking enough milk though so if she is taking significantly less and still sleeping through feeds I'd definitely wake her.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011